“Ethel has no Nothing Ubuntu about Ubuntu restaurant ”

Ubuntu Buffet Restaurant
Description: Ubuntu Buffet Restaurant is designed to offer visitors a unique food experience. The restaurant boasts a private dining area, ideal for parties or corporate lunches. Families are welcome. A separate bar lounge is available to people over 18. The restaurant can seat 350 people. With a scrumptious menu, sure to satisfy all tastes, comprises of salads, entrees, homemade breads, hot dishes, roasts, vegetable dishes, sauces, a la minute section, traditional section and dessert station.
Reviewed 14 April 2017 via mobile

My family and I went to Ubuntu restaurant at Emerald casino for Easter buffet lunch. We were told u pay upfront before we could even sit. The table setting disappointing as it did not have all the cutlery and napkins. The food was terrible as we enjoyed nothing there except the desert menu. The chicken curry Was awfully smelling ,they used spices to hide the fact that it was rotten. I asked one of the waiters who claimed that she was manager when she wasn't to smell it and she agreed it was off, then she called Ethel / Ellen who is the head chef. As she came in, I told her about the rotten chicken and she completely denied the obvious. She told me I'm lying and claimed that the smell is from the spice that they used. I was astonished that she could blatantly tell me that I can't differentiate between rotten chicken and spiced chicken . She didn't do anything about my complaint , and I know it's because I'm the wrong skin color , had the complaint come from someone who looks like her she could have done something about it. I have minor food poisoning and diarrhea as a result , I will never go back there again.

1  Thank melodymanyaka
Laurent P, Manager at Ubuntu Buffet Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2017

Hello melodymanyaka

Thank you for your review.

I apologise for your unpleasant experience at our Ubuntu Buffet Restaurant. I would like to make contact with you in person so that this review can be discussed and have sent you a private message asking for your contact details.

Reviewed 9 February 2017

It is quite a mission to get a booking here, even though it wasn't busy when we went. The buffet is nice, a few different items compared to what I have had at a buffet before, including pizza. The layout means it can get congested but the presentation of the food is top class. They freshly make stir-fry according to the ingredients you pick, and the waffles and pancakes are made to order, ensuring that they are fresh. The buffet is value for money, however they make up for it with the price of drinks.

Laurent P, Manager at Ubuntu Buffet Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2017

Hello zbrentano

Thank you for the review and rating Ubuntu Buffet so highly on TripAdvisor.

In order to constantly evaluate our property and staff, your comments are appreciated. The restaurant, with its many buffet stations, is designed to offer you a unique food experience and I'm pleased that you found value for your money. In terms of the cost of drinks, please ask any of the staff about the beverage fountain - my apologies if it was not brought to your attention. The food is always fresh, that's just the way it is, there no place for inferior produce at any of our onsite restaurants for our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 20 January 2017

Large variety of starters /salads...
Hot meals also good....No Fish Dishes which is disappointing.
I enquired about the fish and was told only fishcakes at salad station were available.

Good chicken stir fry.

Lots of variety at the desert station.
Waffles are to die for.

Overall food tasty...we availed of the 50% off Wednesday evenings which us great value for money.

Laurent P, Manager at Ubuntu Buffet Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2017

Hello NAZ312578

Thank you for your review and rating Ubuntu Buffet the maximum 5 stars on TripAdvisor.

Thank you too for the favourable comments. I'm pleased that you enjoyed our menu so much. Wednesday's are definitely a sure way to maximise eating out and even without the special we know that we satisfy all food tastes and are always good value for money. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 17 January 2017 via mobile

I previously had a nasty experience and was invited to re-visit the facility on the 14-01-2017. I was amazed by the service rendered and the special treatment from Monica, a waitress at Ubuntu. Well done and I will see you soon. The trip was worth the effort and I was surprisingly impressed with the entire afternoon. The atmosphere in the Casino was great, winning would have made it awesome. LOL.

Laurent P, Manager at Ubuntu Buffet Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2017

Hello theom238
Thank you for that wonderful feedback and for giving us a second chance. I’m so pleased that you noticed such a great improvement and we will make sure that Monica knows what a large part she had to play in making your visit special. Perhaps lady luck will be on your side when you join us again. See you soon.

Reviewed 13 December 2016

First of all we booked a table two days in advance only to get there and have to stand around looking all pitiful as there weren't tables available as the place was packed to the rafters, and we were eventually given seating at some dark corner next to the meat buffet.

talking about the buffet there is a reason its a measly R160 what rubbish, no roast lamb or beef just pork and chicken, no seafood, no salads, and wors??? seriously wors is that why people go to buffet for a breakfast meat?? and some crappy beef stew made with some cheap cut of beef not meant to be stewed. The only saving grace was a freshly made waffle.

NEVER AGAIN. Took my mom there for her birthday and was thoroughly disappointed

the lighting is rubbish and the food even worse...

Laurent P, Manager at Ubuntu Buffet Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2016

Hello MakLove

Thank you for your review. Your comments and feedback are appreciated.

I apologise that your experience did not match your expectations and that your table was not ready. This is certainly not the usual service and buffet normally on offer. Ubuntu Buffet prides itself on offering a wide selection of food that caters to everyone's taste. I'm disappointed that, in your case, this was not evident. I will pass this review onto the management team so that your comments are heard and acted upon and hope that on your next visit you will give Ubuntu another chance where I'm sure that you will notice a marked improvement.