“Very good food indeed”
Review of Ubuntu Buffet Restaurant - CLOSED

Ubuntu Buffet Restaurant
Description: Ubuntu Buffet Restaurant is designed to offer visitors a unique food experience. The restaurant boasts a private dining area, ideal for parties or corporate lunches. Families are welcome. A separate bar lounge is available to people over 18. The restaurant can seat 350 people. With a scrumptious menu, sure to satisfy all tastes, comprises of salads, entrees, homemade breads, hot dishes, roasts, vegetable dishes, sauces, a la minute section, traditional section and dessert station.
Reviewed 15 August 2016

It was my fiancee's birthday,12 August 2016.I took her to dine at ubuntu and we really enjoyed the food.Daddy the chef at the carvery section was a very friendly and helpful guy and he knows his food because I asked him all kinds of questions about meat types.It was unfortunate that there were no pork ribs in the braai section but i must say, the wors is to die for.I will definately visit again some time soon. Thank you for the leka food,it never went wrong since the fiancee enjoyed everything about the restaurant.

Laurent P, Manager at Ubuntu Buffet Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2016

Hello phakamani446

Thank you for your review and rating Ubuntu Buffet so highly on TripAdvisor.

Congratulations on your fiancé's birthday and thank you for choosing Ubuntu Buffet as the restaurant to celebrate at, it was our pleasure to host. I am pleased that you both enjoyed the Ubuntu experience and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 11 July 2016 via mobile

The place looks really nice, we arrived as a group of 12 and welcomed by the lovely hostess at the front, all seemed well, we opted to buy drinks instead of getting the bottomless option, we waited over 20 minutes for a waiter until we got up and found one, we probably only order 1 set of drinks cos after we got them we never saw our waitress till we wanted to pay the bill.

The food is quite basic I was really disappointed with the variety of food and the taste of what I had. I tried the stir fry option and the herbs I chose got burnt in the process, the beef potjie was swimming in so much oil the I opted for the brisket, which was okay.

We then went for our last course and it seemed as though we were a bit late, what was a full section was now limited. We decided to have waffles and icecream, after waiting 15 minutes for a waffle which we ended up sharing amongst 2 since it took so long, there was no vanilla ice cream, we requested eventually it arrived.

It's an okay place but I wouldn't go back

Laurent P, Manager at Ubuntu Buffet Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2016

Hello Bongie K

Please accept our apologies for your lacklustre experience at Ubuntu. Our reviews are usually very positive about this restaurant with guests enjoying the variety and quality of foods available. I will certainly take up your points with the relevant managers and hope that on your next visit you notice a marked improvement.

Reviewed 10 July 2016 via mobile

The starters section great. The chinese food ok. The beef ppotjie very nice . The carvery section not to good seemed like it was the leftovers from afternoon not enoug vegetables.

Hello hannesswiegers

Thank you for your feedback. I'm pleased that you found the starters section and the beef potjie enjoyable. Thank you for your comments on the carvery section, we will take it up with the chef and managers on duty. I do hope that you visit us again and that your next visit is a marked improvement.

Reviewed 25 May 2016

I took my girlfriend to Ubuntu for her birthday dinner and we loved the place. The food is fresh and tasty and she still maintains that the desert was sweeter than me :-)

Perfect restaurant all round, they even have African food (I enjoyed the ox heart most, or as we call it eKasi "inhliziyo").
The chef is also very generous with the pork/beef to the demanding foodie and the stir fry has everything one would need.

The drinks are bottomless from the onset.... AND YOU TAKE HOME THE GLASS!
Absolutely Perfect.

Laurent P, Manager at Ubuntu Buffet Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2016

Dear Myst-Ink
It's not often that our desserts are described as sweeter than a guest's loved one but we'll take it as a great compliment, thank you! A happy belated birthday to your girlfriend and we're so pleased you had such a great experience. Ubuntu Buffett is one of our most popular dining choices because of the wide variety of tasty food from all cultures. We hope to see you again soon! Adventure Awaits!

Reviewed 18 May 2016

I read the other reviews and I am glad they had a wonderful time . I can not say the same of our experience tonight. There was a special tonight - half price for Emerald Card Holders. No problem. The number of people did not bother me, we went in 18h20. By 18h45 most of the dishes were empty. Even the dessert corner had a empty look to it. By 19h00 I could only stand in astonishment at the lack of choice. At the carvery the pork was burnt on the outside but raw inside. The carver refused to dish up such poor quality. There was no refill of dishes while we were there. Even at the beer fountain my husband had to wait for beer as only foam came out . If a restaurant wants to offer such a special, they need to be sufficiently prepared.

Laurent P, Manager at Ubuntu Buffet Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2016

Hello riadednam

Please accept our apologies. On the night you visited us, we were offering a 50% discount to our casino clients which impacted the volume of customers in the restaurant and therefore the food diminished quicker than anticipated. However, we have already discussed this internally and we’re confident that this problem will not reoccur.