“Sunday night dinner”
Review of Ubuntu Buffet Restaurant - CLOSED

Ubuntu Buffet Restaurant
Description: Ubuntu Buffet Restaurant is designed to offer visitors a unique food experience. The restaurant boasts a private dining area, ideal for parties or corporate lunches. Families are welcome. A separate bar lounge is available to people over 18. The restaurant can seat 350 people. With a scrumptious menu, sure to satisfy all tastes, comprises of salads, entrees, homemade breads, hot dishes, roasts, vegetable dishes, sauces, a la minute section, traditional section and dessert station.
Reviewed 10 July 2016 via mobile

The starters section great. The chinese food ok. The beef ppotjie very nice . The carvery section not to good seemed like it was the leftovers from afternoon not enoug vegetables.

Laurent P, Manager at Ubuntu Buffet Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2016

Hello hannesswiegers

Thank you for your feedback. I'm pleased that you found the starters section and the beef potjie enjoyable. Thank you for your comments on the carvery section, we will take it up with the chef and managers on duty. I do hope that you visit us again and that your next visit is a marked improvement.

Reviewed 25 May 2016

I took my girlfriend to Ubuntu for her birthday dinner and we loved the place. The food is fresh and tasty and she still maintains that the desert was sweeter than me :-)

Perfect restaurant all round, they even have African food (I enjoyed the ox heart most, or as we call it eKasi "inhliziyo").
The chef is also very generous with the pork/beef to the demanding foodie and the stir fry has everything one would need.

The drinks are bottomless from the onset.... AND YOU TAKE HOME THE GLASS!
Absolutely Perfect.

Laurent P, Manager at Ubuntu Buffet Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2016

Dear Myst-Ink
It's not often that our desserts are described as sweeter than a guest's loved one but we'll take it as a great compliment, thank you! A happy belated birthday to your girlfriend and we're so pleased you had such a great experience. Ubuntu Buffett is one of our most popular dining choices because of the wide variety of tasty food from all cultures. We hope to see you again soon! Adventure Awaits!

Reviewed 18 May 2016

I read the other reviews and I am glad they had a wonderful time . I can not say the same of our experience tonight. There was a special tonight - half price for Emerald Card Holders. No problem. The number of people did not bother me, we went in 18h20. By 18h45 most of the dishes were empty. Even the dessert corner had a empty look to it. By 19h00 I could only stand in astonishment at the lack of choice. At the carvery the pork was burnt on the outside but raw inside. The carver refused to dish up such poor quality. There was no refill of dishes while we were there. Even at the beer fountain my husband had to wait for beer as only foam came out . If a restaurant wants to offer such a special, they need to be sufficiently prepared.

Laurent P, Manager at Ubuntu Buffet Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2016

Hello riadednam

Please accept our apologies. On the night you visited us, we were offering a 50% discount to our casino clients which impacted the volume of customers in the restaurant and therefore the food diminished quicker than anticipated. However, we have already discussed this internally and we’re confident that this problem will not reoccur.

Reviewed 9 May 2016 via mobile

POOR SERVICE, BAD FOOD AND DISCOURTEOUS SERVERS AND WAITRESS.

To Management

I had the unfortunate experience yesterday at your Mother’s Day buffet.

My husband and I had taken my mum to your buffet for the 2rd sitting at 14:30

Our ordeal started when the doors opened; there was no order when the patrons walked in.

There was only one (1) waitress ushering the patrons to their seats. This caused all queues at the doors and made huge delays. There were other waitresses at reception that could have been tasked to assist sitting patrons.

Then the torment continued when we went to the buffet to dish, food was cold, the chefs were very rude at the meat section.
They me they were instructed by management to only give 2 pieces of meat.

When I ask who had given us instruction, the server told me that the manager had given instruction to give 2 pieces coz the black people been troublesome.
I then asked him to please call the manager, to which the response was he is out.

The buffet did not include any sea food; this did not cater for vegetarians. As a result my mum, who is a vegetarian, did not get her money’s food, considering that we paid R220 per person to get such substandard food.

The waitresses were very discourteous; they did not explain things proper when asked.
The waitress that served us would not explain the R90 bottomless glass, when we asked if the buffet price did not include a drink.
Instead of explaining she got very fractious with us, so much so she messed up our drinks order.

To top it my entire husband and I had diarrhoea the entire night.
The food was cold, the food was extremely spicy and it did not cater for vegetarians.

This was the worst dining experience of my life.

I feel the R220 was way too much for substandard food, poor service and servers and waitresses that were discourteous.

I will rate Ubuntu as No Star restaurant!

yolisangwenya@gmail.com

Laurent P, Manager at Ubuntu Buffet Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2016

Hello Yolisa N

Please accept our apologies for your unpleasant experience at Ubuntu. Despite the large volumes of customers on Mother’s Day the treatment you experienced and the poor quality of food should not have happened. We can confidently say that most customers that visit Ubuntu have an extremely favourable and happy experience. We will however address the poor service on that day and investigate staff working that day to avoid another recurrence. In terms of the vegetarian food we do offer vegetarian options at our various stations, and will chat to our team to be more attentive when customers ask about vegetarian meals.

I would like to invite you back to experience Ubuntu Buffet as our guests normally do!

Reviewed 5 May 2016 via mobile

Birthday dinner at Ubuntu buffet.
Beautiful place, kid friendly... The food is amazing. The best customer service from waiters, hostess cnt remember her name Keneilwe something, she needs training coz she couldn't even fake a smile en while waiting for customers to enter the restaurant she was chatting on her phone ... Stood behind that desk faced down while chatting !!! And PLEASE CHANGE THE MUSIC!!!! ... Besides that rude hostess we enjoyed ourselves. Will mos definitely go back.

1  Thank Melissa M
Laurent P, Manager at Ubuntu Buffet Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2016

Hello Melissa M

Thank you for your review and rating us Ubuntu Buffet at Emerald Resort & Casino the maximum 5 stars.

Happy belated birthday and I'm very pleased that your experience at Ubuntu Buffet was memorable. I must agree with you that the food is simply amazing and I enjoy the wide variety too. Thank you for the feedback regarding the hostess, I will certainly have a word with her as this not the normal behavior. All of staff recognise that you, our valued guest, are the most important person and must be treated as such. I look forward to welcoming you and family back soon!