All reviews wine route spa meander weekend boat
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We booked in as a family for the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel has a great atmosphere with lots of visitors arriving by boat for meals and drinks. The location on the Vaal river is perfect. The rooms are great value and the family room was huge, everything very clean and neat. What sets Waterfront apart is the friendliness of the staff!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Sean G, Owner at The Waterfront Country Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Hello Andrew

We are very happy that you enjoyed your visit and we hope to see you all back soon!

Reviewed 9 November 2017

What a fantastic atmosphere. You relax as soon as you enter the gate. The food was absolutely mouth-watering. Best pizza ever! We had lunch outside on the Vaal river bank and it was so relaxing. Spa is worth a visit - monthly specials and lovely atmosphere. They are also on the Vaal Meander Wine Route and did Wine and food pairing, which was just an amazing experience

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
Sean G, Owner at The Waterfront Country Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2017

Thank you for the positive feedback we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 6 November 2017

Specifically went here for lunch with some friends after recommendation. Firstly we had to find a waiter, the kitchen wasn't ready apparently at lunchtime and the very basic bar menu lacked any imagination but commanded high prices. To be fair, our waiter tried hard to please but it would seem he is on a losing battle and that a lack of interest /creativity from both the kitchen and higher authority is setting an all new standard of poor customer service. A great shame as the location is beautiful. Just needs to be run properly with a decent chef who has some culinary skills in the kitchen and this could be an absolute winner. A great shame

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Sean G, Owner at The Waterfront Country Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2017

I thank you for your feedback and points mentioned will be dealt with.

Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

Based on our previous times we had come to the waterfront spa, we decided to come again.

We had come to the spa more than once, this was our 3rd trip. We noticed the treatments weren't as good as the last times. We found out that there were new owners, who in my opinion should take an active role in their business or hire more competent staff, especially at the reception and receiving areas.

The spa lady and her staff were good, and tried there best given the circumstances.

Come lunch time the poor lady serving food was under pressure the whole day while her manager at the from desk just sat on her backside the whole time, neither assisting nor managing.

Dinner time was weird with these massive oblong tables for two, while the manager at reception was using one of the round tables by the pizza area to do her accounting work.

The next morning we were met by the large lady at the reception area who was busy eating when we came in, not very professional. The breakfast menu was a pitiful excuse for a set up, with some old cereals, lack of milk and utensils.

The waiter took down our breakfast orders, my continental breakfast looked like it had been sitting under a light for the past 7 years. The poor excuse for a meal I wouldn't even have fed to a starving child it looked so hideous! After telling them to take back the meal, I politely declined a second meal as my faith in the cook to produce even a decent looking meal was strained!

I doubt that this place cares about patrons, my suggestion is get competent staff who have at least some interest in providing a service to paying customers. Remember people have paid money for an experience and you don't have to pay extra for the basics!

I for one will NEVER come back to this establishment.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Sean G, Owner at The Waterfront Country Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2017

Thank you for your feedback, we will attend to the issues raised!
Sean

Reviewed 18 May 2017

We booked two nights at the Waterfront Country Lodge for the Mother’s day weekend. Due to my mother’s age, we opted for the Family room and paid a small fee extra as she is an adult. The lodge is situated on the banks of the river and we found the location suitable for peace and quiet.
What we liked:
Peaceful establishment – nice and quiet.
Room was serviced well and it is very spacious and clean. It was a chilly wet weekend so we especially enjoyed the air conditioner that helped with that nip in the air.
The restaurant staff is friendly and attentive. Food was nice and portions fair.
The spa staff is friendly and attentive.
What we did not like:
Limited parking – people attending the day spa park where the rooms are (if I had to guess I think they only provide parking for 10 cars – the others need to stop far away – it was uncomfortable, especially since it was raining. You need to wait for the day spa customers to leave in order to secure a parking for the evening.
Rooms are built in a U-shape with no view – pretty dark (especially if you want to apply make-up). The tiles in the bathroom are cracked and needs attention. As the weather was unpleasant, we were in the room quite early in the evening and the TV is far too small for the room size – limited channels so you just give up on that option.
We could not enjoy meals with views from the deck (due to the weather) and had to eat inside – plastic table cloths just look tacky and don’t contribute to the setting – no ambience / cozy atmosphere (it is also the walk-through to access the Spa on the 1st floor). There is another area on the other end of reception that looked a bit better but it seems it is only used for functions (they set tables the Saturday afternoon – assume it was for the function on Mother’s day). I found the prices of the food a bit on the high end given this is only a 3-star establishment – if you are required to pay a bit more, you expect a bit more – food was not aligned to the tag though. Breakfast is a choice of two, so if you stay more evenings, I guess the menu could become boring.
We booked mani- and pedicures for the three of us – spa has an awkward location on the 1st floor of the restaurant – steps pretty narrow and simply feels wrong. You don’t get the airy, relaxing feel and feels squashed in. Also, this was the first time ever I received a mani- and pedicure where no nail polish is included – you don’t even have an option to add it if you so wish?
There is little to no cellular reception on the lodge (MTN) – on enquiry, the lady at reception responded by ‘yeah, they have a problem with reception on the lodge’ … she then offered ONE Wi-Fi voucher that is valid for 3 days/250MB. As we were 3, my husband asked if we could each have a voucher, and she provided one more (leaving one of us without contact with the world on a very miserable weekend). My husband registered his voucher while in the restaurant, then registered the other for my mother and immediately thereafter noted that his voucher is not working. He went back to the lady and she simply brushed it off with ‘then you must’ve used the 250MB’. It is clear that was impossible, and she did not bother to assist with another voucher so we were both without any reception for the weekend. That was not the biggest issue, I think what bothered me most is the way in which she responded … no professionalism.
Overall we had a pleasant stay, but given the price, I would rather opt for another place – they are not cheaper than others, and offer less – no activities except for the spa and swimming. If the lady at reception (the face of the establishment) could up her game in terms of customer service, it may assist with your view of the lodge. Pity, as there certainly is potential to take this lodge one notch up.

Stayed: May 2017
Sean G, Owner at The Waterfront Country Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2017

I thank you for your feed back and the issues mentioned will be attended to.

Sean