“Authentic South Indian food in Johannesburg”
Review of Saravana Bhavan

Saravana Bhavan
Ranked #58 of 495 Restaurants in Sandton
Reviewed 26 March 2017

Keeping the fame of South Indian variety - Saravana Bhavan in Johannesburg is offering very good range. Few other dishes like Mushroom masala is very good. However, the service should improve as some time have to wait too long for the delivery.

Date of visit: October 2016

Reviewed 18 March 2017

I am here for a few weeks with my wife. Sarvana bhavan is a go to place very reasonably priced and authentic Indian food. I would say it is more authentic South Indian. Fresh juices of pomegranate and muskmelon are super. On weekends they add to the menu. They also serve Chinese ( indianised) and North Indian.unlike many north Indian restaurants in sandton are who put color in the Indian curries, here the color is natural. I just prefer the naturals. Variety of dosas. Service is good and staff friendly. We got her often

Date of visit: March 2017
Reviewed 26 February 2017

I was excited t find out Sarvanan Bhavan was nw opened in Jbrg.I had heard rave reviews about the branches in toranto,loondn and frankfurt and hoped it was the same in jobrg.Unfortunately the only thing which was good was the service .the food was mediocre.I wuldnt say it is one of the best dosas i hav eaten.South Indian Thali was pretty sub standard too.And the filter coffee was over priced.

I wouldnt visit this place again.

Reviewed 20 February 2017

It is very difficult to find authentic flavours from the South of India in South Africa. We heard much about this restaurant in Cape Town, so went there with great expectations. The food was awesome and they were able to make a lassi to one of the guests request. Such flexibility. We were a party 7 and ordered a variety of dishes and shared it amongst us. The Mysore Dosa was a hit as was the garlic fried crispy mushrooms. Love freshly pressed juices available. Service is slow.

Reviewed 16 February 2017

We ordered quite a lot from the restaurant as it was for many people. We tried the dosas, rasam, mushroom rogan jhosh and Savana special biryani. The rasam was absolutely delicious as was the biryani so will definitely go back for that. The rest was underwhelming. Service was speedy. We waited about 15 minutes from the time of placing out order.