“Disappointing”

The Butcher Shop & Grill
Ranked #7 of 460 Restaurants in Sandton
Cuisines: Deli, Steakhouse
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Groups, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: In the heart of Sandton, on Nelson Mandela Square, is the flagship Johannesburg branch of The Butcher Shop & Grill: an institution in South African dining. For over 20 years, our unmatchable steakhouse has been as much a part of SA culture as sunshine, red wine and red meat. You could say it is a landmark on the culinary landscape (and we're now in Cape Town and the Middle East). But The Butcher Shop is also about family - and the laughter, memories and conversations shared with special people over great food at a top steakhouse. Our family business, handed down over three generations, is famed for its quality produce, extensive menu, separate butchery & deli and 800 passionate staff globally. In Johannesburg we're able to seat up to 600 guests, plus 22 guests in our exclusive private dining room. In Cape Town, we can accommodate 250 guests, with capacity for an additional 40 guests in our private dining room.
Reviewed 2 April 2018

I booked a table here for our first night in South Africa due to the good reviews and that it was a short walk from our hotel.

We were very underwhelmed and in hind-site should have send the steak back. The starters and service were fine but the steak although ordered rare had barely seen the pan and should have been more charred on the outside.

A disappointing meal for our first night and I cancelled our reservation for two weeks later as we didn't want to return.

Write a ReviewReviews (2 879)

57 - 61 of 2 879 reviews

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Excellent place for dinner and reasonable prices and wide choice of wines.
Would advice advance booking.
For both family and business

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

I cannot believe I visited the original butcher shop and grill, it opened in Dubai and the one and only memory was a precious one was when my sister visited me there (in Dubai).... Scottish skin she was not happy outside even with the cooling fans... but I heard this was a South African brand. The first time I arrive at the original place in now what is called Nelson mandela square... I was over joyed.... service was on point and We were so billtonged out We needed fish. The waiter was attentive, aware of me and my partner’s travels and excused the light meal we ordered with a smile. Thank you for your hospitality:)

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

I've been visiting Butchers Grill for the past 11 years. The meat is A grade, love the welcome bread basket so delicious and service has been good

Hence my family and I have frequented it since I was 15. I'm now 26

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

I have been there every time I visit Jbourg as meat is great - however our waiter last time was horrible ... my card did not work and we only had the cash to cover for our food and couldn’t tip them ... after paying the bill we stayed at the restaurant for 10min where our waiter wouldn’t move just staring at us with a hateful look and followed us out until we left the restaurant ... We paid for what’s a very expensive restaurant in South Africa and we DO NOT expect such treatment from such place ... not my fault waiters are paid minimum wages and live from tips and we have to be the bad guys instead of their bosses ... definitely my last visit there ... HORRIBLE SERVICE