“An Experience out of this World”
Review of Sandton Sun

Sandton Sun
Ranked #4 of 48 Hotels in Sandton
Gauteng, South Africa
“An Experience out of this World”
Reviewed 10 January 2017

Sandton Sun was our destination for New Years Party. We enjoyed an exquisitely decorated suite with en-suite bathroom, separate sitting room/Bare area that add to the luxury & ambiance to a place where one can retreat into an intimate heaven of relaxation & spoiling by the Staff, inspired by an awareness of wellbeing, especially after my cancer treatment. Dining at The San deck is a gourmet affair, with sumptuous dishes, fine wines & outstanding service. The magnificent views from the wooden deck take your breath away, while you sip cocktails served by professional & friendly Staff. Dining under the Stars was so romantic. I felt like a Queen. Thanks to David Millar for all the spoiling and help at such a short notice. He is an asset to the Hotel. Thank you to all the lovely Staff and Chefs for a wonderful time.

• Stayed January 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels

PeterDavidson01, General Manager at Sandton Sun, responded to this review, 12 January 2017
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for five star rating and kind comments. I am delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful stay with us and that our staff had a positive impact on your experience, I will ensure that they are personally recognised for this.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.

Peter Davidson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Stanger, South Africa
Reviewed 8 January 2017 via mobile

I stayed in the grand presidential suite with my family. Absolutely amazing experience, staff were quite friendly. The room was huge and out of this world with lovely complimentary items from the hotel. The hotel leads directly into the Sandton City Centre which provides a unique shopping experience.

Stayed February 2016, travelled with family
PeterDavidson01, General Manager at Sandton Sun, responded to this review, 9 January 2017
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your great five star review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we exceeded your expectations. Your views are of utmost importance to us and thank you again for your positive comments about the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Johannesburg
Reviewed 5 January 2017

Disappointed aswell as dissatisfaction and for a presidential suite "so not cool"..its liek any other room not what was expected...I enjoyed all my previous stays but this was my worst stay ever and I don't even know id I should advise people staying there ever

• Stayed January 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels

PeterDavidson01, General Manager at Sandton Sun, responded to this review, 6 January 2017
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I was most disappointed to hear that you found your stay not to the standards expected and please accept my personal apologies for this. I'd love to hear more about your experience as I truly value all comments and utilise them in the ongoing improvement of the product and services offered.

I hope you will afford us the opportunity to rectify your impressions of the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 4 January 2017

Each year we spend the last three nights of the year at the Sandton Sun (for the last couple of years).

The hotel definitely deserves the five stars its rated, the food is amazing, the staff are friendly and ever ready to please. From the time we arrived we were welcomed by Vinny, we were checked in by Betty and from then on everyone was just as fantastic.

The room very well appointed, good coffee machine and brand new amenities. We were given an upgrade which was welcomed! Breakfast has everything one would expect from a 5 star hotel, pity we couldnt get seating for dinner at the restaurant at new years (apparently booked out months in advance) but that wasn't a big issue.

The hotel is connected to Sandton City so shopping is very convenient as well as other eateries.

Room service was efficient and well presented, through to checkout.

Thanks to all at the Sandton Sun for a great stay!

• Stayed December 2016, travelled with family
Dear Yusuf G,

Thank you for your feedback and also for choosing to stay with us at Sandton Sun. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and I hope we have the opportunity to see you and on many future occasions. We are constantly looking for ways in which we can improve on the product and services we offer so if there is anything, however small which you feel would have improved on your time here or could perhaps enhance a future visit, please feel free to drop me a short message.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Sandton Sun.

Los Altos, California
Reviewed 4 January 2017

Lovely place to stay especially if you plan to shop at Sandton City mall. Staff is very friendly and helpful, even had a waitress who greeted us with a big hug and smile every morning. Terrific concierge. Reason only 4 stars: other than great service by staff at breakfast, there was nothing else particularly good about the breakfast so I cannot give it five stars. The hot food was never hot and instead of refilling buffet dishes when they half empty, the staff would wait until there was not much on the dish before refilling them. If we ordered hot food from the kitchen, it took a very long time to come out even on days when the restaurant wasn't busy. The menu had V next to an item we ordered but it came with fish and the entire rest of the dish tasted like fish. The over easy eggs I ordered were hard, there weren't enough plates when the restaurant was busy. The refreshments in the room were not replaced consistently during our stay and after we used two mugs the first day, we were given only one from then on. (There were three of us in the room). The binder in the room was broken, (same problem as last year), the telephone did not always work, nor did the face light in the bathroom. Definitely not a lively hotel and over the time we were there, there were very few people around the lounge and bar area. I would not recommend it for singles but for families it is good value. Rooms not as chic as newer hotel such as Da Vinci but less expensive than it too.

Room Tip: As high up as possible so quieter