Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Phyllis O

Awful experience that left a bitter taste

Review of The Maslow
1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 20 Jan 2022
I visited South Africa from the USA for the first time for a dear friend's birthday celebration in last month. I heard many awesome things about the Maslow from her prior to my arrival and I was very excited about staying at my reserved prepaid luxury queen room. Check in downstairs at the front desk was uneventful. Vincent was my porter who helped me with my luggage to the room. I was led up the elevators to a small dingy room on the 4th floor with a sagging mattress. I was so confused. I asked Vincent if this was the luxury queen suite that was reserved. He said he was unsure and called the front desk to confirm. He was told over the phone that it was the right room so I asked if they had a better room with a better view at the same rate and he was given two rooms numbers on the second floor. We left my luggage outside the room on the fourth floor and walked back to the elevators.
We headed down to the second floor and I saw one room which looked just a little cleaner than the first. My disappointment worsened. I began thinking to myself, isn't this supposed to be a four or five star hotel so why are the rooms so small and dingy like a motel? We then went to the other room on the second floor and it was beautiful. It had a nice pool view, spacious and very clean. Then Vincent says he doesn't think the room was at the same rate with the others. He proceeds to call downstairs to confirm and the front desk/concierge verified it indeed was the same rate. Vincent heads back up to get my luggage from the fourth floor and brings them to my room on the second floor. I tipped him well for the troubles before he left and then went into the bathroom to enjoy a nice long shower. The whole time I was in shower, I heard my hotel room phone ringing nonstop. I thought it was my friend trying to come up to my room. When I got out of the shower, I called her only find out she never called my room. I got dressed and unpacked all my luggage only for my room phone to ring again. I answered this time and it was the manager of the hotel on the other end of line. He said he had been calling me because they had made a mistake and it was going to be an extra eighty dollars a night for that room for the next seven days in addition to my already prepaid payment made months ago. Again I was confused. I said but Vincent called the frontdesk and the concierge confirmed it was the same rate. He then says they could give me that one night free but I would have to check out the next morning to another room. I was so upset at this point because I had just unpacked. It really felt like a scam to me so I would pay more. Like they showed me all the dingy rooms first, then took me to a nice room, told me it was the same rate and then to get more money from me, they call back to say it's not the same price. The hassle of packing and moving to a small dingy room was the last thing on my mind. I was so upset. I called my friend to let her know what was going on. She was also upset that her guest was been scammed. She told me they actually should have offered me a discount for the inconvenience instead of charging me more. I almost cried at this point. It was then I decided, it wasn't worth the stress to move to a smaller dingy room. I ended up paying almost five hundred dollars upon check out
seven days later.

I am taking the time to write such a lengthy detailed review as a buyer beware especially to foreign travellers coming into Johannesburg. Maslow Sandton is not worth the name or the reputation. I will never go back.
Date of stay: December 2021
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Responded 06 Dec 2022
Dear Ponwodi,

Thank you for taking the time to rate your experience at The Maslow.
We apologize that you had a poor experience during your visit.
We have various rooms available, different sizes and the bigger rooms do come at a higher price. Room configurations is available online (website & booking platforms) for guests to view prior to making a reservation.

Exterior
12.0 km from The Maslow
View more hotels in Sandton
Reviews (1 122)
1 122 results
All reviews africology spa lacuna bistro business hotel nelson mandela square free shuttle coffee machine the hotel offers south africa sandton area johannesburg conference concierge mall establishment
Selected filters
20 - 25 of 1 122 reviews
Reviewed 21 November 2021 via mobile

Small Bed, poor Breakfast, early Housekeeping Ringing and noise of people speaking in corridor.

The pandemic policy is very wrong. No alternative solution for guest. Bar closing much earlier. Room service close earlies. And nothing on mini Bar.

Date of stay: November 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Amoré Ansar, Guest Services / Front Office at The Maslow, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2022

Dear Haris,

My apologies for only responding now, I some how missed this review.
Thank you for taking the time to rate your experience at The Maslow.
We apologize that you had a poor experience during your visit. This review was done ,ore than a year ago and I am happy to advise that our operating hours have since been relaxed. A mini bar service is available upon request and it is no longer offered as a standard.

Reviewed 9 October 2021 via mobile

The hotel staff went above and beyond to make my stay comfortable especially the concierge staff. The highlight for me was the free shuttle to and from the shopping mall. Breakfast was great although limited choices.

Date of stay: October 2021
Trip type: Travelled solo

Dear matildaspy56,
Thank you for taking the time to submit your rating.
There is no greater seal of approval than guest’s acknowledgement 😊
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back to The Maslow.

Reviewed 18 May 2021 via mobile

Took the overnight package at the hotel with a couples full-body massage included. The massage was magnificent! Highly recommended for stressed city goers. The Guy Fieri restaurant pulled pork burger is also a must. Good food, great customer service and lots to do for adults.

Room tip: There are no personal hygiene products for sale at the hotel. Be sure to pack everything.
Date of stay: April 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Calan Naidoo, Other at The Maslow, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2021

Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for your rating and feedback! We look forward to hosting you again in the near future. Kind Regards Calan Naidoo Customer Relations Executive

Reviewed 21 December 2020 via mobile

We decided to spend 3 days at the Maslow as a staycation as we wouldn't leave Joburg. The hotel is really luxurious and well equipped for both business and family. The pool is heated and really a hidden jewel of the hotel which we really enjoyed. There is a nice shallower kids pool which we spent time in. The room is well sized and very comfortable. The wifi is great with a nice modern tv interface allowing movies to be streamed from a selection as well as lots of Dstv (cable) channels. There is also a nice gym area. Staff were unbelievably friendly and helpful. It was a really great stay.

Date of stay: December 2020
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank DavidandBel
Calan Naidoo, Other at The Maslow, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2020

Dear valued guest, Thank you so much for leaving us such a lovely comment. It is always so motivating and delightful to receive such positive feedback. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us, and hope to see you again in the near future. Kind Regards Calan Naidoo Customer Relations Executive

Reviewed 14 November 2020 via mobile

I decided to treat my wife to a date night with overnight stay at The Maslow in Sandton. We loved the heated pool. The drinks were very pricy and not all the tv channels in the room worked. The room was stylish and comfortable. We got this room at a discounted rate through MVG program for R800 a night.

Date of stay: November 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Calan Naidoo, Other at The Maslow, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2020