“Fab hotel....5* all the way”

InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers
Ranked #7 of 47 Hotels in Sandton
Reviewed 12 September 2015

To start off, the staff here are a shining example of fantastic customer service....it is a behaviour that ripples through every single person you encounter. Absolutely nothing is too much trouble and all done with genuine warmth and a desire to please.
The rooms are light and airy but for those that like a late sleep in, the curtains totally block out the morning sunrise.....you won't want to get out of these comfy beds.
The spa is a great place for a massage and the oils used smell delicious.
There is a walkway on the 10th floor that takes you across to the Sandton Sun hotels access to a fantastic mall. There is a fantastic selection of stores and access to the square which boasts numerous restaurants that cater for most tastes.
All in all, the hotel is in a great location with easy access to surrounding facilities.
The best bit of all....definitely the staff....they make you feel like royalty.

Room Tip: There is some construction work going on at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled on business
JosiahSandton, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2015

Dear Duchess1989, thank you for taking the time to write a review of hotel and for your rating. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you feel you received great service. It is something our staff take great pride in, so we value your feedback.

Reviewed 6 September 2015

We've used this hotel a few times when passing thru Johannesburg. The staff are always very kind to us and cannot do enough. We've been fortunate at times to get access to the Club Lounge, with its lovely food spreads and great comfort. We love the superbly comfortable beds; the bathrooms are spacious and amenities are tops. Wandering around the Sandton shops and cafes is fun, in between more serious pursuits (though right now a lot of rehab happening). All in all, a very fine hotel in a great location.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled on business
JosiahSandton, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2015

Dear Ann O, thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us plus the location. I do trust that I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in 2015!

Reviewed 4 September 2015

We had previously stayed here 18 months ago and it was awful.
We swore we wouldn't stay again but a family emergency saw my husband having to stay here for convenience to the location he needed to be,
I had made the booking so they were expecting me.
Full credit to the team, our dissatisfaction had been noted on our profile and when he checked there was personal service from the duty manager to ensure he was happy. They had provided flowers in the room for me.

Apparently there is a whole new management team and he told me it was vastly improved,
Breakfast which had been so bad was very good.
We also had a follow up email on his return from the manager,
It was definitely worth giving them a second chance, thank you

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo

Dear Janet W, I am pleased that you husband enjoyed his recent stay with us and found things much improved, incluiding the breakfast. However, I do trust that I will have the pleasure of welcoming you both back to the hotel again in 2015.

Reviewed 24 August 2015

What a way to end our trip would have liked another night just to soak up the 5 star service and facilities. Great location, with a internal sky bridge from the hotel to Sandton Mall which has everything from designer labels stores to inexpensive clothing store, restaurants, banks etc a one shop stop.
The staff and service was fantastic...I was certainly made to feel special. I made a note on my booking that was celebrating husbands birthday and when we got back from been out to dinner there was a bottle of champagne and a beautiful piece of cake for us wishing him a happy birthday! Nice touch.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
JosiahSandton, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2015

Dear fab1715, we were honoured that your husband spent his birthday with us and I am very pleased that you both had a great stay plus enjoyed the location and nearby Mall.

Reviewed 23 August 2015

When coming to Joburg, you often have a long night flight so to make it easier you book a car service to your hotel. The driver wasn't hear so I called the hotel. First call on hold for 10 minutes. 2 call they can't transfer me to the concierge or car service. 3rd call I finally get someone that wants to take my phone and call me back with some more info. After an hour of waiting I took a taxi to the hotel.
While checking out, the laundry was charged twice on my bill. I asked and it was directly removed. However, I also noticed that the price of the room was higher than in my reservation. I showed them the confirmation email, they then asked me to send them the mail as the reservation service didn't believe us over the phone, and they told us to wait, and wait again. After 45 minutes, I had the manager over the phone and told him that I had business meetings and was already late and that business hotels should have fast check out process he agreed to come up to the club floor reception. Total check out process of 60 minutes and 2 mistakes on the bill, both in favor of the hotel. I don't think this is a honest way to improve the hotel's profitability.
Another weakness: Only 3 devices are allowed to have free internet.
Some good points of the hotel:
Hotel Location is Nice. Next to a mall with everything, and to Nelson Mandela Square and its nice restaurants.
IHG Status recognized. Early check-in available.
Lounge small but quite nice and I could do business discussions during the day and relax and dine at the end of the day. Breakfast is nice as well. Nice music at the end of the afternoon.
To summarize, I'll keep recommending this hotel but don't book a car service (which is BTW much more expensive than a taxi or an Uber), double check your invoice, and pray that their system isn't down. (my sister couldn't get her room for 30 minutes when arriving because the system was down)

Room Tip: Go for a club floor room
1  Thank csacy

Dear csacy, please accept my sincere apologies that you had a less than pleasant stay with us, starting with the airport transfer plus the mistakes on the bill and delay on check-out whilst sorting this out. However, I do trust that I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in order for you to experience our usual 5* standard of service.