Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Booking.comUS$82
Hotels.comUS$82
Expedia.comUS$82
PricelineUS$82
eDreamsUS$82
Trip.comUS$89
Reviews (1 237)
1 237 results
All reviews bull run restaurant stock exchange nelson mandela square colonial style bit dated free shuttle shopping centre safe location breakfast room an oasis south africa long flight pools johannesburg business concierge gym
Selected filters
2 - 7 of 1 237 reviews
Reviewed 5 December 2020

En route to Bloemfontein, booked this hotel to overnight after flying in from London. With COVID restrictions it is unfair to mark the hotel down because of limited facilities. I will say the staff have created a safe clean environment and go out of there way to welcome guests. Breakfast is not in the usual location, they are using the Bull Run restaurant whilst renovations continue. In spite of restrictions there is sufficient choice, hot items cooked to order, no buffet. For those who have visited before, Nelson is still around, just resting at the moment.

Date of stay: November 2020
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank Neil H
Debbie Prinsloo, Marketing at Protea Hotel Johannesburg Balalaika Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2020

Dear Neil H. We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your stay. COVID has certainly changed the way we do business and are glad you felt safe with us and enjoyed your stay. When you return in the future you will enjoy the new rooms, Conservatory Restaurant and Destinations Lounge which should all be completed by the end of January 2021. Kind regards, Debbie Prinsloo, Marketing Manager.

Reviewed 19 September 2020

I would like to give the Balalaika Sandton Johannesburg a 5 STAR rating. On arriving from Doha on a repatriation flight from New Zealand, our 10-day quarantine was made so comfortable and pleasant, I was actually.....sad ;( to leave them. From the Receptionist to the waitrons who delivered our food, to the men who took our rubbish out, I want to say "you lifted our "Covid" depression. Congratulations to a wonderful team.

Date of stay: September 2020

Dear ButterflyWings77. Apologies for a late response but have only picked up your Review this morning. We appreciate you rating and comments. Certainly COVID taught us all a new way of doing business and looking after our GUESTS. So glad you enjoyed this experience with us. Hoping you are well and safe and that you will return to our Hotel in the future. Best regards, Debbie Prinsloo, Marketing Manager.

Reviewed 16 September 2020 via mobile

I stayed in the hotel for 10 days. From the start to finish the staff was incredible. They tended to my every need and did so with a smile and happy nature. The hotel grounds are spotless and the room is very well designed and super clean. The bed is probably the best bed I’ve slept in, in years. The food was incredible. The managers were on top of the their game and are running a fantastic hotel. I can not recommend it highly enough. Do yourself a favor and stay there. Thank you so much for my stay.

Trip type: Travelled solo
Debbie Prinsloo, Marketing at Protea Hotel Johannesburg Balalaika Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2020

Dear robertsV9100LV. Your Review is most welcome. It is always such a pleasure to receive such good news. Your comments regarding the STAFF and food will be passed on so that the STAFF can see that their efforts are acknowledged and appreciated. We really hope you will come back to stay with again once Lockdown is over so that you can experience the true PH Balalaika service. Best regards and stay safe. Debbie Prinsloo, Marketing Manager.

Reviewed 13 September 2020

The hotel has treated me nothing less than royalty from the moment I walked and for the duration of my stay, they made my otherwise bleed birthday special with a cake and song which was much appreciated.

Trip type: Travelled solo
Debbie Prinsloo, Marketing at Protea Hotel Johannesburg Balalaika Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2020

Dear gcinat. Your comments are so appreciated as our STAFF have worked extremely hard during the lock-down. So glad we could make your birthday a "little" special considering you were not able to celebrate with friends and family. Please come back and visit us in the future. Best regards, Debbie Prinsloo, Marketing Manager.

Reviewed 12 September 2020

Arrived at protea hotel balalaika, from USA for my quarantine. I just wanna thank the staff members for the outstanding service. The food was amazing, 3 choices everyday.

Anelisa I just wanna personally thank you for going above and beyond . Such an amazing soul and your customer skills are super good. Thank you. Will definitely visit in the future

Date of stay: August 2020
Trip type: Travelled solo

Dear lebogangs268. It is such a pleasure to receive your Review and I know the STAFF will also be very excited. Thank you for mentioning Anelisa by name, she deserves your recognition if she has exceeded your expectations. We hope you will return to experience the true Balalaika "all-round service". Best regards, Debbie Prinsloo, Marketing Manager.