Lowest prices for your stay
ZenHotels.com
R 6 304
Alex L
Moscow, Russia
Great warm and friendly staff
4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 08 Feb 2024via mobile
Well located , well managed hotel . Friendly hospitable staff . Good breakfast , great gym , big and spacious suites . All you need for a business trip . Things to improve : would love more generous approach on supply of amenities . Abit more high flow pressure in showers , sink and toilet . Great personal , great city )
Date of stay: February 2024Trip type: Travelled on business
Bar
    R 1 204
0.3 km from DaVinci Hotel And Suites
Free parking
Relax poolside after a long day!
    R 1 445
0.4 km from DaVinci Hotel And Suites
    R 1 344
1.1 km from DaVinci Hotel And Suites
View more hotels in Sandton
All reviews nelson mandela square shopping mall direct access beautiful hotel star hotel nespresso machine turn down service the air conditioning south africa sandton city comfortable rooms business legacy concierge curtains gym slippers
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 January 2024

The hotel is very well equipped, very comfortable rooms with everything you need. Parking is free and easy. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Our only disappointment was location. It’s hard to walk anywhere further than a block or two due to a combination of lack of pavements (it’s like America and people drive everywhere, though we sense that’s the way of life here ) and frankly safety. There is a huge underground shopping mall beneath the hotel so the easiest way to eat and drink is to stay within this subterranean city. Coming from London, where you walk everywhere, use public transport easily, Johannesburg is a big change that takes getting used to. But again, within this context, the hotel is very good.

Date of stay: January 2024
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Andrew van Hasselt, General Manager at DaVinci Hotel And Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2024

Dear 892kareng892,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor. We truly appreciate all feedback from our valued guests and your wonderful review will definitely be shared with all the staff.

May you have a great day further and we look forward to welcoming you back to DAVINCI, Hotel and Suites, in the near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 11 December 2023

I stayed at the Da Vinci on several occasions over a few years (last stay in 2019). I kept choosing this hotel systematically each time I come to Johannesburg, without even looking at other available hotels, whether I came on family vacation or for business, because of the consistently great experience (room and services), which is what I did this time too. However I was very disappointed with the service, which was incomparable from what I had experienced all the previous times:
- The reaction when my key card just got deactivated and had to be reactivated;
- On the 2nd day and morning that we left, there was no shower gel for us to use - probably removed but not replaced.
- The breakfast was quite appalling: The choice and quality of food is nothing like what it was up until 2019. I stayed one night in a basic holiday inn in SA and the choice and quality of the breakfast buffet was 10 times what you now offer. We had to wait for a table. The service is very slow for something as basic as hot chocolate, and even longer for eggs.
- On the last day we needed to leave the hotel at 7.00 to take our flight. We were told breakfast started at 6.30 but actually at 6.30 the buffet was still being set up, the "hot" dishes were entirely cold with no heat under the hot plates which were lit up close to 7.00, no juice until we left, we could not choose a table because they were still mopping the floor and asked us not to go in that area...
All this was quite disappointing. For me, the Da Vinci was THE hotel to go to in Johannesburg and I have recommended it to many friends and colleagues. But not anymore. The only sign of the level of service I knew the Da Vinci hotel for was the concierge staff on the ground floor when we left. But other than that it was a disappointment.

Room tip: The room with the balcony overseeing the pool is nice however it gets noisy at night.
Date of stay: December 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Andrew van Hasselt, General Manager at DaVinci Hotel And Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2023

Dear hansinav,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor as well. We truly appreciate all feedback from our valued guests as it assists us in improving our service offering to our guests.

I would like to sincerely apologize for the negative experience that you had with us and can assure you that it is most definitely not the service standard that we pride ourselves on. Your comments will be shared with all the relevant management and further investigations will be done to ensure the lack of service is addressed with the relevant staff.

Thank you again for your detailed review. I completely understand that nothing I say can change this experience, but I truly hope that you will give us another opportunity to give you the true DAVINCI experience.

Reviewed 28 November 2023

From A to Z a 5 star experience @ DaVinci! Our reception was flawless, service throughout the property was exemplary, & the food @ Maxmillien’s was superb. The staff, inclusive of chef, was impeccable, & their friendliness & willingness to satisfy every customer’s experience should be an example for others! Our accommodations were spotless & comfortable, & the location was perfect. With shopping & restaurants galore to choose from, it was an excellent choice for our stay.

Room tip: Enjoy everything about your stay here! It will be unparalleled!
Date of stay: November 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Andrew van Hasselt, General Manager at DaVinci Hotel And Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2023

Dear WineTimeashland,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor. We truly appreciate all feedback from our valued guests and I am delighted to hear that we could give you a memorable experience.

Your wonderful review will definitely be shared with all the staff and we look forward to welcoming you back to the DAVINCI in the near future.

Reviewed 6 November 2023

I travel to Johannesburg several times per year, every year and have always stayed at the same hotel, however at the recommendation of friends that live in JoBurg, I took a chance and stayed at The DaVinci, also recommending that my Brother and his Wife who would be on the trip with me, also stay there; by far the biggest mistake I could’ve made. This hotel is nowhere near the standard of a 5-Star property. Upon arrival, I noticed that there was a lot of odd traffic of people in/out of the front of the building and lobby areas. The elevators are open to the public so a lot of the Sandton Mall foot traffic is found in the hotel lobby all times of the day and night, didn’t feel secure. My check-in didn’t meet my expectations as I was not offered a room upgrade nor told if an upgrade was/wasn’t available. After a 16-hour flight, I arrived to my room to find significant amounts of mold on the walls of the shower (see attached pictures). I made the Front Desk Staff aware of the concern and was initially told that I’d need to speak with the Staff in the morning. Upon going to the front desk the next day, I met the Benedict to make him aware of my concerns, he was very smug and simply replied with “Okay, do you want us to clean it?” I advised that YES, while the room/shower needs to be cleaned, I do not want to stay in a room with very visible mold in the shower. Benedict immediately seemed irritated that I was requesting an alternate solution, very unprofessional. He offered me another room which had its bathroom (literally) in the middle of the floor offering no privacy. After walking back/forth to this room (no staff from the hotel was sent to assist with the review of the rooms) I advised that I didn’t want that room either. He then stated “Well, I can offer you an upgraded room which has a balcony”, again I was never offered an upgrade when I checked in and in-essence, the room that was being offered was in fact smaller than the corner executive room (with mold) that I booked. Nevertheless, I had a full day of events planned so I didn’t have the time to engage any further with Benedict’s unprofessional, disregard, lack of empathy, and dismissive behavior. I was forced to repack all of my belongings, move them from the 7th floor (room with mold) to the 6th floor (new room). The bed in the room was horrible and terribly uncomfortable! The bed is a spring mattress which is relatively thin. The sheets, duvet and pillow case all had stains on them, I requested that the bed linens be changed. Also as the days went on during my 4-day stay, I could smell heavy cigarette smoke coming through the vents in my room as the HVAC was on. In addition, the Housekeeping staff used so much furniture polish on all of the wood, that 2 of my shirts got stained when sitting at the desk as I didn’t realize the polish was so heavy. Finally, the breakfast that the hotel offered was terrible. It is not a buffet, as bowls of fruit, plates of meat, cheese, etc. are placed on a table in the middle of the restaurant with no covers. I watched as children and adults casually walked up the various bowls and plates taking what he/she wanted, with their hands and/or forks, etc. very unsanitary and not appealing. Needless to say, I didn’t partake in the daily breakfast and am very upset that I paid to have breakfast included in my nightly rate. I would however, like to give a very big thank you to both Solley, Guest Services/Bellman and Sticks, Restaurant Waiter. Both of these gentleman were consistently kind, friendly, professional, always willing to help and genuinely tried to make things better. I will never stay at this terrible hotel again and will never recommend that any of my contacts which also regularly visit Johannesburg stay here.

Date of stay: October 2023
Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank jali326
Andrew van Hasselt, General Manager at DaVinci Hotel And Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2023

Dear jali326

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor as well. As mentioned, we truly appreciate all feedback from our valued guests as it assists us in improving our service offering.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the negative experience that you had with us. I can assure you that your comments were shared with all the relevant management and the necessary corrective action will be taken as a matter of urgency.

The safety of our guests are of utmost importance to us and even though the hotel is situated inside a shopping mall, it is completely separate elevators that would need to be taken to get to the hotel rooms. There is always Security present on the Reception level and each hotel room floor is secured with a glass door that can only be accessed using your room key, provided your room is on that actual floor.

I would also like to apologize for the fact that we could not offer you a complimentary upgrade for your stay - we do our best to assist Expedia Premium VIP guests with complimentary upgrades, but it is unfortunately not always possible due to the high occupancy in the hotel.

I have asked our Executive Housekeeper to also have a look at the mattress in the 6th floor room as all the mattresses in the hotel are exactly the same and were replaced not too long ago.

Please accept my apologies again for your stay and the treatment you received. It is definitely not the standard we pride ourselves on or are known for. Your feedback is valued and the items mentioned will be addressed.

Reviewed 9 October 2023

I had a wonderful experience at Davinci hotel and suites. The customer service and every staff member I encountered was outstanding and eager to help. Hotel has modern rooms, and impeccable facilities

Date of stay: September 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Andrew van Hasselt, General Manager at DaVinci Hotel And Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2023

Dear boipelos480,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor as well. We truly appreciate all feedback from our valued guests and your wonderful comments will definitely be shared with all the staff. It is always nice to hear that our guests had a memorable time with us.

May you have a great day further and we look forward to welcoming you back to the DAVINCI in the near future.