All reviews sky bar skye bar nelson mandela square top floor rivonia road hourly shuttle nice hotel room service gautrain station business center sandton city restaurant staff business trip long flight shuttle service shopping mall inns
Reviewed 6 November 2017

Check-In with Jane was easy and all the ladies at the front desk that morning were very pleasant. I arrived early since I was coming from a hotel 5 minutes away. I was happy my room was ready at 11:30. This is a more upscale Holiday Inn. I have gotten used to the Express. It had a nice sitting area in the lobby, a restaurant that served more than breakfast and The Chairman Bar. It was a bonus that it had a shuttle that ran to Mandela Square and the Gautrain Station every hour even though they were only a 15 to 20 minute walk away. My room was spacious and had a good setup. My only complaints were that there were no plugs close to the bed to plug my cell phone up at night, the wifi seemed to be a bit slow for this to be more of a business hotel and every now and then I would catch a faint smell of raw sewage when I ran the water in the sink. There was construction next door so maybe that had something to do with it. When I left I took my own bags down but the bellman quickly came to assist when he saw me with my luggage.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank LivingDreamsJoyfully
nik6311, Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2017

Dear LDJ03

Thank you for a great review, team is delighted with your feedback.

Indeed, no plugs near the bed can be tad frustrating however good news is that we are looking to rectify this soon.

Hope to see you and meet you on your next visit.

Reviewed 3 November 2017

When we booked in 2 women in our group were threatened by an employee demanding a bigger tip for porterage although I had paid for the porterage. The Saturday evening was devoid of any meat (chicken is not meat). Breakfast was good but slow due to inadequate serving places. The buses have to park outside in Rivonia road, I can just imagine what happens when it rains.

Room Tip: Away from road and adjacent construction site
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
nik6311, Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2017

Dear kdgarlipp

I trust my response finds you well.

Thank you for providing us with the feedback on your most recent stay with us, this is truly appreciated.
I understand your frustration regarding the tip soliciting - this is , I agree, totally unacceptable. Hotel strongly condemn this type of behaviour and , if possible, I would kindly ask for further information on this incident in order to investigate further. Please contact me on nikola.jelenovic@hisandton.co.za.
Your comments regarding our Food and beverage offering have been noted, please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience caused.
Whilst we did not entirely meet your expectations on this occasion I sincerely hope that we will have another opportunity to restore your confidence in our service.

Reviewed 3 November 2017

Impressed by the service I received on entering the equally impressive hotel foyer. Stunning pool deck and Skye bar on top floor of this hotel, with great views over Sandton and surrounding suburbs.Will definitely be back in December with my family for a short stop over on my way to the Pilansburg.

Stayed: October 2017

Dear Justrod2017

Thank you for the fantastic feedback on your most recent stay with us, this is truly appreciated. Team is delighted with your comments.
Let me know when back in December, would like to meet you and thank you in person for the great review.

Reviewed 31 October 2017 via mobile

I checked in to the hotel today. I am a IHG Rewards club Gold Elite member. IHG makes a great deal of the membership benefits which it advertises. I was not at all acknowledged as a member, leave aside any priority check in. OK, I agree the receptionist can forget at times. So I asked her if my membership number is registered with the reservation. She checked and said "Yes". That's it. No acknowledgement or explanation of any benefits It was very demeaning especially because I had heard her telling the guest who checked in before me about the complimentary lounge access for IHG members.
On reaching the room, I once again called her and asked her if I can expect any benefits as a Gold member. First benefit she mentioned is that I am provided a clean room. (I checked in at 10 pm in the night). Can you imagine that!!! In the end she did mention that I can visit the lounge as a compliment.
Very disappointed with this ill treatment being a Gold Elite member and choosing IHG as a preferred stay for my travel.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business

Dear guest

I trust this finds you well and that you have returned home safely from your visit to Johannesburg.
Thank you for the feedback provided, indeed disappointing check in experience. Please be assured that we fully value your loyalty and your Gold Elite status. I have dealt with your feedback internally in n appropriate manner.
Further, I have responded to you via E mail.
Once again, please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience caused with my assurance that this will not happen again.

Reviewed 31 October 2017

As a platinum member i expect more, as a guest I expect more.
No advice on the lounge at checkin, had to ask, skye bar closed on sundays and Monday's but not detailed on website
Menus on website not up to date
Skye bar closed for function so third night without
Restaurant only serves buffet " due to high occupancy" so not much choice apart from bat food or as offered " you can have room service"
Lounge offers two free drinks and any more na kore expensive that at the (small) bar.

Over all very disappointed, will stay at the Hilton next visit

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business

Dear Neilskates

Greeting form Johannesburg!
Thank you for your feedback, truly appreciated.

Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience caused, looks like a number of things went wrong here. I have also sent you a mail with more detail.

Whilst we did not entirely meet your expectations on this occasion, I sincerely hope that we will have another opportunity to restore your confidence in our service.