“Food below average, staff intimidating”

Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road
Ranked #19 of 46 Hotels in Sandton
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

When we booked in 2 women in our group were threatened by an employee demanding a bigger tip for porterage although I had paid for the porterage. The Saturday evening was devoid of any meat (chicken is not meat). Breakfast was good but slow due to inadequate serving places. The buses have to park outside in Rivonia road, I can just imagine what happens when it rains.

Room Tip: Away from road and adjacent construction site
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
nik6311, Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear kdgarlipp

I trust my response finds you well.

Thank you for providing us with the feedback on your most recent stay with us, this is truly appreciated.
I understand your frustration regarding the tip soliciting - this is , I agree, totally unacceptable. Hotel strongly condemn this type of behaviour and , if possible, I would kindly ask for further information on this incident in order to investigate further. Please contact me on nikola.jelenovic@hisandton.co.za.
Your comments regarding our Food and beverage offering have been noted, please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience caused.
Whilst we did not entirely meet your expectations on this occasion I sincerely hope that we will have another opportunity to restore your confidence in our service.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Impressed by the service I received on entering the equally impressive hotel foyer. Stunning pool deck and Skye bar on top floor of this hotel, with great views over Sandton and surrounding suburbs.Will definitely be back in December with my family for a short stop over on my way to the Pilansburg.

Stayed: October 2017

Dear Justrod2017

Thank you for the fantastic feedback on your most recent stay with us, this is truly appreciated. Team is delighted with your comments.
Let me know when back in December, would like to meet you and thank you in person for the great review.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I checked in to the hotel today. I am a IHG Rewards club Gold Elite member. IHG makes a great deal of the membership benefits which it advertises. I was not at all acknowledged as a member, leave aside any priority check in. OK, I agree the receptionist can forget at times. So I asked her if my membership number is registered with the reservation. She checked and said "Yes". That's it. No acknowledgement or explanation of any benefits It was very demeaning especially because I had heard her telling the guest who checked in before me about the complimentary lounge access for IHG members.
On reaching the room, I once again called her and asked her if I can expect any benefits as a Gold member. First benefit she mentioned is that I am provided a clean room. (I checked in at 10 pm in the night). Can you imagine that!!! In the end she did mention that I can visit the lounge as a compliment.
Very disappointed with this ill treatment being a Gold Elite member and choosing IHG as a preferred stay for my travel.

Dear guest

I trust this finds you well and that you have returned home safely from your visit to Johannesburg.
Thank you for the feedback provided, indeed disappointing check in experience. Please be assured that we fully value your loyalty and your Gold Elite status. I have dealt with your feedback internally in n appropriate manner.
Further, I have responded to you via E mail.
Once again, please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience caused with my assurance that this will not happen again.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

As a platinum member i expect more, as a guest I expect more.
No advice on the lounge at checkin, had to ask, skye bar closed on sundays and Monday's but not detailed on website
Menus on website not up to date
Skye bar closed for function so third night without
Restaurant only serves buffet " due to high occupancy" so not much choice apart from bat food or as offered " you can have room service"
Lounge offers two free drinks and any more na kore expensive that at the (small) bar.

Over all very disappointed, will stay at the Hilton next visit

Dear Neilskates

Greeting form Johannesburg!
Thank you for your feedback, truly appreciated.

Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience caused, looks like a number of things went wrong here. I have also sent you a mail with more detail.

Whilst we did not entirely meet your expectations on this occasion, I sincerely hope that we will have another opportunity to restore your confidence in our service.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

There is a big construction site just next the hotel, they are working till late at night. so if you want to rest and sleep, avoid this hotel. They shouldn even sell the rooms facing the construction site.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this reviewResponded 6 days ago

Dear General_traveller,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. We regret to hear that you had a less than satisfactory experience due to the inconvenience caused by the construction noise during visit. Reviews like yours are very valuable as they enable us to target areas we need to improve on. Rest assured your feedback will be forwarded to all concerned departments for evaluation. In addition, we have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay.

Joel A