All reviews gautrain station fire pit felt like home safe area hostel dorm johannesburg braai
Reviewed 14 December 2017

I really had a good time in Pumba Backpackers during last august. It has a lot of good things. It's located in a safe and a peaceful place, it's very close to Gautrain and "local train", it has a nice swimming pool, it's economic and the staff (both cleaning and recepcionists) are very friendly. Thanks to all of you, keep being like that!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Craig_PumbasManager, Manager at Pumbas Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2017

Hi agcastanyo

Thank you for your kind review and we are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us! We try maintain a very peaceful environment and I am glad to hear it was portrayed to you as such :)

We hope to see you again soon!

Kind Regards
Craig

Reviewed 28 November 2017 via mobile

The whole setup at the place is so nice. Really enjoyed the cabin where slept. There was a pool, good showers and a nice eating area where you can watch Dstv. The staff at the pace is friendly and helpful.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
Frank d, Owner at Pumbas Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2017

Glad you enjoyed your stay Christiaan! Hopefully we'll see you around again.

Regards
Frank

Reviewed 14 September 2017

What a wonderful hostel right in the heart of the capital. The staff are so accommodating. I immediately felt so welcome and they were able to help me with all my questions. The rooms are colorful, spacious and clean. There is a massive blue swimming pool with tanning beds and a huge bbq area also plenty showers and bathrooms to choose from. There is a very calming vibe making it easy to relax during the day and by night the manager made us a fire and everyone socialized and ate together. Will never forget my time here. Will definitely be back again ! P.S The two puppies were definitely the cherry on the cake for me.

Room Tip: Garden Cabins are too sweet
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank katievo96
Frank d, Owner at Pumbas Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2017

Hiya Katiev!

Thank you so much for your kind words and I'm really glad you enjoyed your time with us!

Th puppies are growing up so fast it's crazy, but they are still super cute and totally love all the attention.

Happy travelling
Frank, Dani and the Pumbas Team

Reviewed 12 September 2017

Probably the best backpackers I have been to in my travels in southern Africa so far. The staff are very nice and helpful. The place is decorated tastefully and everything is in good shape. Perhaps it is a newer backpacker. Very nice inside bathroom. Smaller backpacker, doesn't feel like it tries to pack to the brim for profits. The environment feels cozy and safe. Large swimming pool and fire pit. Also bonus: very cute and friendly pups. Just that the mattress in the dorms are not very comfortable as it's the type of poor quality foam that simply sinks all the way in over the night. But, I guess nothing is perfect.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Loxa1a1
Frank d, Owner at Pumbas Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2017

Hiya Loxa!

Thanks for the awesome feedback and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us! If you come back in a month our new mattress order will have arrived :-) We can't seem to win with those but I hope you managed to get enough sleep in spite of it!

Happy travels!
Frank

Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

Every staff here is super friendly and helpful. My best experience in South Africa. And after she made a small mistake on my booking, she immediately give a free upgrade to my room. The atmosphere here is very good as well. Recommend to a great start point to SA trip.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Frank d, Owner at Pumbas Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2017

HI Spritesun!

Thanks so much for the positive feedback! We really enjoyed having you with us and maybe we'll see you one day again in future.

Enjoy the rest of your travels!

Frank and the Pumbas Team