All reviews gautrain station free breakfast free upgrade fire pit nice pool safe area south africa hostel dorm cabin simba guatrain johannesburg capital
Reviewed 28 November 2017 via mobile

The whole setup at the place is so nice. Really enjoyed the cabin where slept. There was a pool, good showers and a nice eating area where you can watch Dstv. The staff at the pace is friendly and helpful.

Date of stay: November 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Frank d, Owner at Pumbas Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2017

Glad you enjoyed your stay Christiaan! Hopefully we'll see you around again.

Regards
Frank

Reviewed 14 September 2017

What a wonderful hostel right in the heart of the capital. The staff are so accommodating. I immediately felt so welcome and they were able to help me with all my questions. The rooms are colorful, spacious and clean. There is a massive blue swimming pool with tanning beds and a huge bbq area also plenty showers and bathrooms to choose from. There is a very calming vibe making it easy to relax during the day and by night the manager made us a fire and everyone socialized and ate together. Will never forget my time here. Will definitely be back again ! P.S The two puppies were definitely the cherry on the cake for me.

Room tip: Garden Cabins are too sweet
1  Thank katievo96
Frank d, Owner at Pumbas Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2017

Hiya Katiev!

Thank you so much for your kind words and I'm really glad you enjoyed your time with us!

Th puppies are growing up so fast it's crazy, but they are still super cute and totally love all the attention.

Happy travelling
Frank, Dani and the Pumbas Team

Reviewed 12 September 2017

Probably the best backpackers I have been to in my travels in southern Africa so far. The staff are very nice and helpful. The place is decorated tastefully and everything is in good shape. Perhaps it is a newer backpacker. Very nice inside bathroom. Smaller backpacker, doesn't feel like it tries to pack to the brim for profits. The environment feels cozy and safe. Large swimming pool and fire pit. Also bonus: very cute and friendly pups. Just that the mattress in the dorms are not very comfortable as it's the type of poor quality foam that simply sinks all the way in over the night. But, I guess nothing is perfect.

Date of stay: September 2017
1  Thank Loxa1a1
Frank d, Owner at Pumbas Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2017

Hiya Loxa!

Thanks for the awesome feedback and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us! If you come back in a month our new mattress order will have arrived :-) We can't seem to win with those but I hope you managed to get enough sleep in spite of it!

Happy travels!
Frank

Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

Every staff here is super friendly and helpful. My best experience in South Africa. And after she made a small mistake on my booking, she immediately give a free upgrade to my room. The atmosphere here is very good as well. Recommend to a great start point to SA trip.

Trip type: Travelled solo
Frank d, Owner at Pumbas Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2017

HI Spritesun!

Thanks so much for the positive feedback! We really enjoyed having you with us and maybe we'll see you one day again in future.

Enjoy the rest of your travels!

Frank and the Pumbas Team

Reviewed 10 August 2017

To be honest, I wasn't going to stay in Pumbas and I was going to where I found out near the hostel. But I found this flag on the wall (my country's flag was painted on the wall and it was the first time I saw that in South Africa, kinda interesting lol) So I got in and asked the price for one night. It was even cheaper than I was going to spend.

Since I forgot to collect my 50rands from the guatrain ticket vending machine which means I lost it because of my own fault, I just decided to stay and the staffs were damn very nice(sorry), the hostel even has this nice pool in the back yard, you can literally go out and have a great time there from your dorm room (10 mixed one)
Sorry, I didn't know his name but... he was wearing this hoodie written with "ask louise" or something like that, this tall guy gave me a drive to Groenkloof National Reserve, I was going to take an uber but thankfully. So I had my last day very enjoyable.

If I had another chance to stay in Pretoria, I will definitely stay here again,
Oh btw the free breakfast - unlimited bread and butter/jam and coffee offers. was actually better than other hostel, I mean, I probably need to cook some eggs or bacons but at least I have this bread as much as I want lol..

Hiya Jeonggeol!

I'm glad you decided to stay with us and ended up having a great time! Maybe we'll even see you again when your travels bring you back to our part of the world!

Happy travelling!

Frank (the guy with the "Ask Louise" hoodie ;-) )