“Beyond amazing”

Price range: US$51 - US$79
Cuisines: European, Contemporary
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Restaurant Mosaic at The Orient Private Hotel is this country’s finest destination restaurant and private hotel. Award-winning South African Chef Chantel Dartnall is known for presenting the art of nature on her plates through her botanical cuisine to take you on a culinary tour of pure indulgence. Bask in the sophisticated atmosphere of exotic spaces; an Oriental style oasis set in lush and tranquil 280h of the Francolin Conservancy. The Mosaic cellar is unparalleled in this country with some of the most exceptional and rare wines from both South Africa and internationally.
Reviewed 27 August 2018 via mobile

This place is 1st in the country for a reason. Best food I have had, impeccable service. Couldn't recommend more.

1  Thank markuslabuschagne

Reviewed 26 August 2018

This restaurant may be off the beaten path but it is a culinary experience worth the trip! Set in the heart of the North-West province 10 minutes east of Pelindaba on a eco-reserve inside an unbelievably well decorated hotel (The Orient). Restaurant Mosaic boast top quality service, a fine dining menu beyond excellent, and a wine cellar that meets the highest expectations. We found the Grande menu to be the best pick simply to start with and we will definitely be back for more. Take your time over your meal, and be sure to chat to the experienced and knowledgeable staff about the menu and paring. The chef presenting the menu was the perfect touch; she DEFINITELY deserves her awards and our respect for a fantastic meal!

1  Thank EvanF390
Reviewed 20 August 2018 via mobile

Exquisite venue and decor with tantalizing menu. We went for the grande degustation and wine pairing. Food and service was good, although I didn’t enjoy the mackerel and rabbit dishes and wasn’t aware they would be serving rabbit and raw mackerel, both of which were too strongly flavored for my liking and some others in our party. I don’t think it was made clear enough to us when the menu was described as it was pretty complicated and extensive. I think they should have asked to make sure we all understood what we would be getting. Overall though, the food was good as always, but I much preferred the previous menu we had in August 2017 and other previous visits. Also felt the service was slightly below par and not as slick compared to our previous visits. My favorite dish was the scallop and langoustine which I thought was an exceptional dish. Goat was also pretty good and the sauce of the pork dish. I wasn’t overly impressed with the sea bass, which I thought could have been a bigger portion too. The white chocolate dessert was good but the dark chocolate wasn’t to everyone’s liking as it was described as very sweet but in the end it wasn’t actually. Still worthy of five stars though, despite the slight drop in food quality and service.

3  Thank aroundtheworld247365
Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

Words cannot actually describe the experience at Restaurant Mosaic. From beginning to end the highly professional waiters and sommelier and chefs expertly provide a dinner experience you will never forget. Firstly, you arrive in the stunning location and are welcomed by the waiters and invited to enjoy a drink and canapes. This is where the taste experience begins. You are then ushered to your table where the sommelier provides advice on the wine options. You can either opt for wine pairing or for wine of your own choice. And the wine list is the most extensive I have ever seen - a thick book! Then Chantel, one of the very best chefs in South Africa, comes to explain the menu in a manner that makes your mouth water. There are several sounds of amuse bouches, followed by the starters and mains and dessert. It is an absolute and unforgettable feast. For me the welcoming and friendly and unpretentious manner of the waiters, chef and sommelier made the experience even better. I think anyone will enjoy this, unlike some restaurants that are so pretentious and exclusive that one may feel uncomfortable.

1  Thank 4ndr3_G
Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

Lots of preparation goes into these delicate and complicated courses.
Perfect for a special occasion.
Expensive but excellent