Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
rebecca t

Disheartening Experience: Theft and Dismissive Treatment at Kievits Kroon Gauteng Wine Estate

1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 10 May 2024
My experience at this hotel during my business trip was marred by a deeply disappointing incident. Within moments of checking in at the Main reception, my iPhone 15 Pro was stolen from my handbag, which I had momentarily left at the reception while using the restroom. Despite reporting the theft promptly to the rooms manager and providing details, the response was unsatisfactory. Hours passed without any progress, and when I requested to see the footage from the functioning cameras nearby, I was denied access and told the cameras facing my bag do not work. The attitude of the rooms manager was shockingly rude and lacking in empathy, treating me as if I were inconsequential despite being a paying guest at their purportedly four-star establishment. The disregard for my concerns and the dismissive manner in which I was spoken to left me feeling deeply unhappy and frustrated. While I understand that material possessions can be replaced, the manner in which guests are treated during such incidents speaks volumes about the values of a hospitality establishment. Shouting, yelling, and refusing to acknowledge responsibility are never acceptable behaviors, regardless of the circumstances. I would caution any potential business guests considering this venue to ensure that their security measures, including functioning cameras, are in place and contractually guaranteed before finalizing any bookings.
Date of stay: April 2024
1.0 of 5 bubblesService
1.0 of 5 bubblesSleep Quality
Responded 22 May 2024
Dear Rebecca,

During your stay at Kievits Kroon, my team made every effort to assist you with your claim regarding the alleged theft of your phone. Theft is a grave accusation, and we take such claims very seriously. This is why we offered to involve the South African Police Service (SAPS) to ensure a thorough and impartial investigation. Please understand that theft within our establishment's disciplinary code results in immediate dismissal upon being found guilty, underscoring the seriousness with which we treat such matters.

We conducted a detailed investigation into your claims and provided you with a written response based on our findings, see below email. Despite our thoroughness, you have made it clear that you are dissatisfied with the outcome and continue to blame our team. I would expect you to uphold the basic principles of human rights and allow the SAPS to take charge of the matter, as you would if your phone were stolen in any other public space, be it a shopping center, on the sidewalk, in an Uber, or via a taxi or corporate transfer service, accusing our staff without evidence is unfair and I will not allow for this to continue.

I must express my disappointment with the ongoing accusations against our establishment and my staff, which are unfounded and unjust.

Additionally, we received a distressing call yesterday from someone claiming to be your husband, who acknowledged that the phone had been found along with the person responsible for taking it. His seemingly threatening behavior towards us was highly unsettling, and it seems that the "story" has yet again another twist. Please note that this call was recorded.

We strive to maintain a professional and respectful environment at Kievits Kroon, and we expect the same courtesy from our guests. Continued baseless accusations and threats are neither productive nor appreciated.

If you indeed have evidence and have found the phone and the culprit, I strongly suggest you present this information immediately. We will involve the SAPS to assist with the final resolution and to open a criminal case against the individual.

EMAIL RESPONCED SEND TO YOU ON - 29 APRIL 2024 at 11h35:

Dear Ms. Rebecca Tshangela,

I trust this letter finds you well.

I am writing in response to our recent telephone conversation regarding the unfortunate incident surrounding the alleged loss of your iPhone upon your arrival at Kievits Kroon. First and foremost, please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience or distress this situation may have caused you.

Upon receiving your complaint, we conducted a thorough investigation into the matter. It was revealed that your allegations against our reception staff regarding the disappearance of your iPhone were unfounded. Our surveillance system clearly indicates that no phone, including yours, was visible at the reception area during your check-in. Additionally, the "find my iPhone" feature suggested that the last known location of your phone was at your home, leading us to believe that it may have been misplaced prior to your arrival at our premises. There was also some confusion surrounding the location of the phone, as you initially stated to Lawrence that you had it in your hand upon entering reception, but you stated to Guillaume that it was in your handbag.

Furthermore, we received information that the dispute arose upon your arrival at the conference room before escalating to the reception area. We understand that there was a disagreement already then, making it even more evident that our staff was not involved.

With regards to your accusations against Lawrence, our Rooms Division manager, I personally reviewed the surveillance footage and found no evidence to suggest that he treated you in the manner you described. While it is true that your voice was raised during the interaction, Mr. Mona remained composed and professional throughout the exchange. Your allegation of discriminatory treatment based on skin colour is deeply concerning and unwarranted. I can assure you that Kievits Kroon does not tolerate any form of discrimination, and such accusations are taken very seriously.

During our telephone conversation, I attempted to gain clarity on your statement regarding skin colour. However, your response did not provide sufficient explanation, leaving me confused and unable to address your concerns adequately.

In conclusion, I would like to extend my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience you experienced due to the loss of your phone. While we empathize with your situation, it is evident that Kievits Kroon and its staff were not responsible for the loss, and therefore cannot be held liable. Nevertheless, I assure you that we remain committed to providing a safe and welcoming environment for all our guests.

Once again, I apologize for any distress this matter may have caused you, and I sincerely hope that we can put this issue behind us and continue to serve you in the future.

Kind Regards

• Algotels
17.0 km from Kievits Kroon Gauteng Wine Estate
Restaurant
View more hotels in Pretoria
All reviews granita spa facilities library bar signature restaurant spa experience luxury room great spa romantic weekend course dinner executive room buffet breakfast out of this world attention to detail picnic kingsley venue conference
Selected filters
Reviewed 9 May 2024

We had an amazing experience at your fine establishment this past weekend. We were blown away right from the start. Besides that, it looks like you are in Cape Town and not just 10 minutes outside Pretoria, we were greeted and welcomed by friendly staff.
Our room was next level, I am talking snacks, rose petals and towel swans. (The only thing I missed was some bubbly). But that was quickly forgotten when we saw the sunset on our way to dinner. We got the whole nine yards, fine dining, chilling by the pool, oysters & bubbly for breakfast and pampering at the spa. It was so good, that we decided to stay another night. Our all-round experience was exceptional and I highly recommend celebrating all special occasions at Kievits Kroon Gauteng Wine Estate.

Room tip: One night is not enough, book 2 nights right off the bat.
Date of stay: May 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Francois Stremmelaar, General Manager at Kievits Kroon Gauteng Wine Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2024

Dear Esteemed Guest,

We are genuinely grateful for your wonderful review of our Hotel at Kievits Kroon!

Your loyalty and support mean the world to us, and we can't thank you enough for choosing to grace us with your presence. It's truly heartening to know that you had a fantastic experience during your visit.

Your satisfaction is our utmost priority, and we are thrilled that you enjoyed every moment spent with us. Your kind words inspire us to continually strive for excellence in all that we do.

We eagerly anticipate the pleasure of welcoming you back to Kievits Kroon in the near future. Until then, please accept our sincerest gratitude for your continued support.

Reviewed 9 May 2024

THANK YOU to you and all the staff who assisted & helped us deliver a wonderful Marine Forum 2024.

This is for all of you – over the course of the last few days I saw true leaders, who knew how to motivate their staff and to show appreciation for what they’re doing. Every time any of you saw me, you had a smile of your face and asked me whether I needed anything – and your sincerity shone through – and it was clear that it wasn’t you just being polite.

I can with all honesty say, that even with the little hick ups during the planning stages of this event, you have been true ladies and gentlemen, always willing to work together and find workable solutions resulting in the successful delivery of every element of the program. In all honesty every minute working with you has been a pleasure and did not go unnoticed by the client as they saw us as a well-oiled team working towards the same goal, which was to exceed their expectations, which I believe we did.

With regards to your staff – they were the best teams of people I have had the honour of working with in an extremely long time. When I turned around, there was always someone there to assist me with the “little” things. Nothing was an issue and was done immediately (and with a smile)

The people on shift over the past 3 days were phenomenal and other properties will have to go a very long way to meet the standards of excellence we were privileged to enjoy. Your staff have mastered the skill of client service and satisfaction – something that seems to have been forgotten by 90% of hotels & venues post COVID.

(Please let Lindiwe (waitron on late shifts) know that she makes the absolute best coffee and always seemed to know exactly when I needed a cup!)

To each and every one of these great individuals, I want to pass on my sincere appreciation.

Overall, a phenomenally successful program and I can’t wait to be working with you again to create and deliver wonderful & memorable events.

Date of stay: May 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled on business

Reviewed 29 April 2024

From the food at Kingsley's Restaurant, to the facilities at the Spa, to the luxury unit we stayed in, to the friendliness of the personnel...everything was just perfect, and good value for money. And it felt like we were in the heart of the Cape Winelands! Will definitely be back!

Date of stay: April 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Francois Stremmelaar, General Manager at Kievits Kroon Gauteng Wine Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2024

Reviewed 31 March 2024

The stay was absolutely lovely! We got married that night and could only check in at 1AM, but we still received a very friendly welcome and a few complimentary items in our room to wish us congratulations.
The lawns and gardens were immaculate and so we'll maintained.
The breakfast buffet was one of my best buffets I have had the pleasure of enjoying. A wide variety of food to chose from, even champagne and oysters! Superb service.
Even though pit stay was short, it was very sweet! We will definitely be visiting again.

Date of stay: March 2024
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Francois Stremmelaar, General Manager at Kievits Kroon Gauteng Wine Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2024

Dear Elsa,

Reviewed 25 February 2024

We only visited the Kingsley restaurant. It was the worst dining experience we had in a while. The tables were still dirty from the previous night when we got there. Our waiter was very unprofessional and did not know the menu at all. Our food was horrible with no taste. The prices are so expensive for very distasteful food. I will never return here again.

Room tip: Don’t eat there.
Date of stay: February 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Francois Stremmelaar, General Manager at Kievits Kroon Gauteng Wine Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 29 February 2024

Dear Esteemed Guest,

Thank you sincerely for your valuable feedback.

Your insights, positive or negative, are crucial to us, guiding our growth and improvement efforts.

We're deeply sorry your experience didn't meet your expectations. We take your feedback seriously, using it to enhance our offerings and service levels.

Rest assured, we're addressing your concerns with relevant departments, aiming to elevate our standards.

Your loyalty means the world to us. Given the chance, we'll strive to exceed your expectations and provide the exceptional experience our guests cherish.

Thank you for choosing us. We eagerly anticipate the opportunity to welcome you back.