All reviewscarnivore restaurantwater featuresafrican experiencegin barbotanical gardensprivate gardenmy fianceroyal suitesouth africathe hustle and bustlereception areaconference venuebird lifeget awaybeautiful groundscity liferomantic getaway
Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

Sadly to say, expectations for paying for the royal experience for a birthday celebration, turned out to be rushed job ,due to over booking.

Therapists were not briefed beforehand on my birthday, the food promised and paid for as what was initially promised was not delivered. The menu consisted of platter for two, chicken burger,beef burger, for dessert creme brulee,cheese board, as apposed to the original buffet offered upon booking.
So, we had booked a full day, and it was suggested we end all treatments before 1:00pm, noting we only started treatment by 9:00am. even though a small spa bath ball, and screw top wine was offered to compensate, the experience left me feeling never to book again.@R2100 pp, was not worth the value for me.Sorry ladies, therapists tried but I didn't book for that sort of ignored experience...☹️ I have honestly had way better!!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
RecreationAfrica, Manager at Misty Hills Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review our property

It with great disappointment for us to read such reviews as we take great pride in delivering to our guest’s satisfaction and it is clear that we did not deliver to our commitment on this occasion.
The less than satisfactory service you received from us is inexcusable and we would like to extend our sincerest apologies for that. The Spa Manager is made aware of this and will ensure to instill a contingency plan to prevent such incidences in the future

We hope to welcome you again soon to provide you with the high level of service that is synonymous to Misty Hills, Spa in the Country.

Reviewed 2 March 2018

I loved everything about this place for the one week I stayed here. From fresh meals to drink vouchers and lively evenings at the Carnivore. Is the wild meat served at the carnivore promising a sustainable future for wildlife though? Back in Kenya there is a strict law prohibiting game meat and when I'm guiding visitors around, they often wonder why Kenya's Carnivore restaurant does not serve game meat. Well now you know :) No game meat in Kenya. It was nice feeling the South African spirit though.

Room Tip: Rooms on your way to the pool side are the most lovely, with water falls and exciting bird calls in the morning.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
RecreationAfrica, Manager at Misty Hills Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2018

Thank you for choosing Misty Hills for your recent stay in Muldersdrift. We are so pleased that you had an enjoyable time. Is was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 11 February 2018 via mobile

The gardens at Misty Hills are spectacular, totally belying the fact that it is actually a large hotel. The rooms are comfortable, large and well-equipped individual chalets grouped around water features and tropical gardens filled with bird life. There is a beautiful swimming pool and really well-equipped gym and a selection of bars and restaurants but undoubtedly the most unusual and exciting of these is Carnivore - a dining experience unlike any other and one not to be missed. The staff are hugely enthusiastic- welcoming you at the door and taking you down to the restaurant past life-size figures of Nelson Mandela, Chaka and Lobengula amongst others. The house cocktail is highly recommended. A selection of sauces including horseradish, mint and apple sauce are brought to the table together with salads and then the meats start... huge skewers with every meat you can imagine arrive one after the other and the opportunity try unusual game is unparalleled. Any celebrations like birthdays cause all the staff to join in a wonderful performance of traditional singing and dancing which we could have listened to all night. The whole atmosphere was just electric. It is definitely an experience not to be missed

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
RecreationAfrica, Manager at Misty Hills Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2018

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of Misty Hills! We are delighted you took the time to visit and that you had such a positive experience. We look forward to seeing you back again soon!

Reviewed 29 January 2018 via mobile

I arrived at Misty Hills for a friend’s wedding at Avianto nearby. I booked in advance and paid £60-70 per night via Agoda and stayed for two nights, attended the wedding, then returned for an additional two nights.
This hotel is not four star by any stretch of the imagination. All accommodation is authentic thatched roof dwellings and as a result, they are dark and dingy.
My first issue was that a deluxe room did not have air conditioning. A fan was provided, but this is not enough in high summer. I was asked to move into a room with an air conditioning unit and was told that this was an upgrade.
The televisions in the room are roughly from the 90s and barely receive reception to broadcast the channels they can pick up. This makes solo travel a little tedious.
The WiFi failed to stretch to the second room I was placed in, and upon notifying the front desk they merely shrugged their shoulders and said they were “fully fully booked” and could do nothing about it. At the same time, I also complained that the second room I was placed in had an ant infestation at some point, and as such, my bathtub was filled with dead ants. (Photos attached). Again, all staff could offer was for a maid to re-clean the bathroom, but this failed to put my mind at ease.
Another problem was that the advertised “gym” was bare and also had no air con. The treadmill was out of order throughout my stay, and there was no water in the water dispenser for the first 2 days of my trip.
The showers were hot and powerful, the staff were happy, and some of the dishes in the restaurant were delicious (the burger). Breakfast choice was plentiful and I never left feeling hungry. I ordered room service one night however and after trying to get through for 20 minutes, my call was finally picked up. My salad arrived another 30 minutes later, and was rather sad looking. Instead of being a chicken Caesar salad, it was a chicken concoction with no cob lettuce but instead, olives, some cheese, and rather brown looking avocado.
This hotel appears to function primarily as a business hotel, and I was often alone poolside for the day until 4/5pm when some people would emerge from whatever conference they were attending which meant the hotel felt empty and had a weird atmosphere.
I think this hotel could be much better - but it needs that reinvestment in the rooms and the facilities. I do not expect to pay extra for air conditioning in a supposed 4* hotel in South Africa. I do not expect my complaints of an ant infestation to be ignored and no recompense to be offered, and I do not expect to have to get dressed in the dark.
I’d really recommend anyone considering booking this hotel for a stay, enticed by the 4* rating and the onsite spa, to reconsider. I stayed one night at Avianto and had friends staying at The Bridge and Riverstone and these were much better.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
RecreationAfrica, Manager at Misty Hills Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review our property and sharing your experience.

The feedback we receive is extremely valuable to us as we strive to improve with each and every stay.

It very disappointing to learn that we have failed to meet your expectations but more importantly for not living up to the great reputation of Misty Hills Hotel.
We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for the less than satisfactory service rendered in your room & our In Room Dining food offering. The repairs and upgrade of some of the facilities as mentioned in your mail has been marked as a priority.

Thank you for your kind comments with regards to our breakfast offering

We hope to welcome you again soon to provide you with the high level of service that we pride ourselves in.

Reviewed 18 January 2018 via mobile

We enjoyed the facilities, the staff is very helpful and professional. The gardens are beautiful, restaurant has variety and caters well for the whole family.

This is a place we’ll be visiting again soon.

Thanks for everything to Lawrence and team.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
RecreationAfrica, Manager at Misty Hills Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2018