“Stayed on our way through to SABI area and on our return”

InterContinental Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport
Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Reviewed 19 October 2017

Have always been wary and cautious of "Transit Hotels" well fear no more the token non smoking room where they merely spray the room and move the ashtrays out, here is a hotel that not only gives you a non smoking , but also treats you as if you are a long stay guest.
We had the pleasure of meeting the G.M. Samantha , top professional who personally assisted us to enjoy our layover ( due to cancelled flights , bad weather).
It is evident the team follow her lead of excellence and oblige with top friendly and good service. Check in was a breeze with Precious , a charming and courteous front desk operative , assisted us to contact airlines , agents , ongoing bookings etc.
Well done top draw , will make it my booking next trip.

Room Tip: Any non smoking
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviews (1 380)

9 - 13 of 1 380 reviews

Reviewed 17 October 2017 via mobile

Great place to stop on your way through to Africa after a long flight from Sydney. What makes it fantastic for us is you literally walk from your luggage across the road which takes 2 minutes. It has great security which is a priority in this town to us when passing through. Very relaxing and room was tidy and comfortable.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
SCarreira, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2017

Dear WendyOkane
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in our elegantly appointed rooms that have full amenity offering in the rooms. I truly appreciate you recommending my property and I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 17 October 2017

This is an exceptional hotel that is just yards from the airport. It was so nice to walk to our hotel after a 10 hour plane flight. The hotel was absolutely beautiful. Our room was exceptional and the restaurant was fun and inviting. We had a great experience in South Africa. The InterContinental made it all very easy.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear MontanaSplash

Reviewed 14 October 2017

Very friendly staff. The gym was being renovated so there was a room set aside with equipment but I did not try it. Was upgraded due to status - but my colleague had similar experience with nice spacious room, full amenities, large firm bed with plenty of pillows. The closet was fully stocked with quality hangers, ironing tools and a safe. For an airport hotel, this is far beyond expectations, and frankly I look forward to my next "after dark" arrival so I can stay again!

Stayed: June 2017
SCarreira, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2017

Dear jadedtravelista

Reviewed 12 October 2017

I was traveling to South Africa for the sole purpose of doing a safari in Kruger National Park. However, flight times made it necessary to spend a minimum of one night in Johannesburg (the safari company - Nhongo Safaris - picked up in the Johannesburg area at 7am, but we wouldn’t be landing until 5pm - thus having to fly into/stay in JNB the night before). Unfortunately, Johannesburg doesn’t have the best reputation as far as crime is concerned, and since this was my first time in South Africa and I wasn’t sure what to expect, I wanted to find somewhere safe and preferably close to the airport.

When booking hotels I usually check booking.com for prices/ratings first, and then, when I find one I am interested in, I cross reference reviews with TripAdvisor. The Intercontinental Hotel O.R. Tambo came very high rated on Booking.com. The price, however - yikes! Over $300 for one night (granted, I did book the hotel only 2 weeks out, so who knows how much the price fluctuates). But upon looking at a map of the property, I realized that the location could not be beat, and was therefore willing to pay for the convenience and (hopefully) safety.

After going through passport control/baggage claim of the international terminal at JNB, we walked straight out the glass doors (no need to go up or down a level as it is on the same level you exit on) and there it was. Literally just across the street - you could hit it with a rock. There were several guys coming up and asking us about taxis as we were exiting the terminal/heading to the crosswalk, but as long as you look determined and like you know where you are going and nicely tell them that you don’t need a taxi, they seem to back off.

The hotel and lobby isn’t very big or overly fancy, but it is definitely a nice hotel. And EVERY staff member we encountered (reception, bellmen, servers, etc) were beyond friendly - and not in a fake way. They were also extremely helpful and professional. The rooms are quaint, but very nicely furnished with a coffee maker, flatscreen TV, nice beds, a desk, and nice decor. But the best part was the bathroom which included a very large tub and a separate, walk-in shower with the best water pressure EVER! Definitely felt like I got nice and clean and refreshed after over 20 hours worth of flying in from the United States.

One thing that was a little frustrating, however, was the hairdryer. There was a hairdryer located in the closet of the room, but it had a European (two prong) plug, and there were no accommodating outlets in the bathroom. The only outlet I found was near the desk, and I was a little nervous to use it (as I wasn’t sure of the voltage) - but it worked just fine. So, I don’t know if it was a fluke that we had a European hairdryer or not, as I think there was a South African outlet in the bathroom (if I remember correctly). That being said, for those traveling from Europe, there is a working outlet for your appliances at the desk (possible UK outlet as well, but I can’t remember). You can also rent adaptors from the front desk if you need (US guests, etc). Also, wifi is free in the room (for I think up to 4 devices? At least 2 for sure…)

The guest services book that is on the desk of the room is very informative of what the hotel has to offer, a 24 hour in-room dining menu, local attractions, and safety precautions for travelers. I read the whole thing and found it very helpful. (I also want to make it know that I felt incredibly safe and well taken care of during my short (12 hour) stay).

I do not smoke, but there is a very nice smoking lounge on the main floor. I also did not use the pool or any of the hotel facilities, but I heard the views of the planes landing/taking off from the pool area is pretty cool. My only disappointment of the hotel is that I felt their gift shop was extremely lacking - it seemed to be mostly higher-end jewelry (maybe there was another gift shop that I was missing)?

We had both dinner and the continental breakfast in the hotel’s restaurant (Quills - which I may write a separate review for, later). Both were very good - particularly the desserts! I will say that the continental breakfast didn’t seem to have many hot items (though we were there before they opened at 6am, so maybe not all items were out yet - I’m not sure). That being said, the items we did have were incredibly good and fresh tasting, so I was definitely not disappointed.

Check out was a breeze, and our tour company picked us up in the morning a little before 7am right in front of the hotel. The driver came to the front desk - who then directed him to us in the lobby.

I know the price is extremely off-putting, and normally I would dock a star rating for this, but because it was so convenient for us and the experience so good, I am still giving this hotel a 5-star review - mostly because I knew the price ahead of time and I made that decision - to choose convenience over price.

If you are spending only one night in Johannesburg - either landing at JNB late or taking off from JNB on an early morning flight - I would definitely recommend this hotel if cost isn’t of a huge concern to you.

(Final tip: I booked the hotel via Booking.com, but would suggest doing a price comparison between Booking, the hotel website, TripAdvisor, and Trivago to make sure you are getting the best price. Also, I ended up paying about $370 for one night (breakfast NOT included) because I booked a room with free-cancellation - thinking maybe prices would go down. Unfortunately, it was free cancellation up to 48 hours before arrival, and I forgot to check periodically for price changes, so I was stuck with that price when I could have gotten a cheaper room (WITH breakfast) had I not insisted on booking with free-cancellation. So that is basically up to you and how willing you are to keep up on price-checking. If money isn’t of huge concern to you and you are sure you won’t cancel, then just book a room WITHOUT free cancellation (and breakfast included) initially).

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank JJ F

Dear JJ F
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of our elegantly appointed rooms where we focused on comfort and quality and all of the offerings and services our property offers. Thank you for taking the time to recommend my property and for the lengthy review on my property. Thank you once again for the feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.