“Perfect Airport Hotel”

InterContinental Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport
Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Reviewed 12 October 2017

My fiancée and I recently stayed at the InterContinental Johannesburg Airport for one night between flights at JNB. We arrived on a long 15.5-hour flight from Atlanta, and needed to stay over for one night before departing on a domestic flight for a safari the next morning.

When planning our stay, we considered various hotels near the airport, almost all of which were cheaper than the InterContinental. However, we still considered this hotel because of the large number of glowing reviews, in addition to knowing that it is truly just steps away from the airport with no shuttle required to get there. Once we weighed the options, we decided to pay the premium price to stay at the InterContinental to maximize convenience. It turned it to be a great decision. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone, and I would stay here again in a heartbeat if ever at JNB.

Prior to our stay, I didn’t have any sort of status or points accrued with the IHG Rewards program, but in the process of booking our room, I stumbled upon the fact that IHG was having a sale for purchasing reward points at the time. It turns out that it was actually cheaper for us to purchase some IHG points and redeem a cash + points reward to stay at this hotel, rather than paying the lowest cash rate that was offered at the time. It worked out solely because there was a promotion for purchasing points at the time, but it’s definitely something to look into, which in our case ended up saving us about $50 USD for the night.

After a long-haul flight, we just couldn't wait to take a shower, eat decent food, and have a nice bed to sleep in. The InterContinental allowed us to accomplish all of this, and was a very welcome sight as we walked out of the international arrivals hall at JNB. The hotel is literally just across one of the airport’s internal roadways from the international arrivals area. It took about 5 minutes from the time we retrieved our luggage from baggage claim to the time we were in the InterContinental’s calm, well-decorated lobby checking in.

Upon entering the lobby, guests are immediately greeted by the hotel’s excellent staff members, all of whom go out of their way to make you feel welcome. The doormen were insistent that they assist us with our bags as soon as we entered the lobby, and the front desk clerk who checked us in was great. She managed to make check-in quick and painless, while still making us feel welcome and giving us all key information we could need. She also offered to make us a dinner reservation at the hotel’s restaurant, Quills, for whatever time we desired, and she went out of her way to recognize that I was an IHG Rewards member several times, which is a nice touch.

The elevator requires scanning your room key to get to your floor, and it will only stop at the floor that your room is on, as well as the floor housing the gym and pool (which we didn’t have a chance to check out). This can be a little bit annoying if you’re in the elevator with guests from other floors and want to hit the button for others. The elevator requires separately swiping a room key to access each floor, which seems a little more secure than is needed.

From the minute you walk out of the elevator to get to your room, you can tell you’re in a very peaceful, upscale hotel. The hallways are nicely appointed and quiet, which is exactly how the rooms feel too. In our room, we never heard any noise from other guests or from air traffic at the airport. It was a quiet oasis.

Our King Deluxe Room (211) was beautiful. Although not overly large, the room was very well appointed and felt luxurious. The décor in the rooms is neutral and restful, with a classic upscale look that is modern enough to feel fresh. The bed was quite comfortable and felt amazing after a long flight. The room was in great condition, with very little wear and tear, and included thoughtful amenities that guests appreciate, including the well-stocked coffee and tea station and USB wall plugs for charging cell phones easily. The turndown service that was done while we were at dinner was better than at most hotels, with a chocolate left on each pillow, a bottle of water and a glass left on each nightstand, slippers left at each side of the bed, and a little card with the next day’s weather forecast.

The marble bathroom was very nice as well, with a separate tub and large shower, which had great water pressure. The toilet is in a separate water closet. There were even some fresh flowers left in the bathroom, and the towels were large and fluffy. The single sink and vanity area was small, with very limited space to put one’s things. However, since we, like most guests, were just passing through, it was fine for one night. The only other thing I found slightly annoying about the bathroom design was that the light switch is located outside of the bathroom (and the entrance to the bathroom is directly next to the bed), so if one person needs to use the bathroom while the other person is sleeping, you can’t help but briefly drown the room in light before you can enter and slide the bathroom door shut.

After feeling disconnected from the world while on our flight, having good wifi to check email and get online was a must. The free wifi at the InterContinental was easy to connect to and worked well. I got kicked off of the network briefly at one point when I was checking email in the middle of the night while I was having trouble falling asleep. However, when I woke up in the morning, I was able to log back onto the network and it was working perfectly fine again.

Prior to our stay, we had made a couple of room requests, which were to have foam pillows and a room on a high floor away from an elevator. The requested pillows were on the bed when we arrived, and our room was away from the elevator. The only request that was not honored was for a high floor. We had hoped to be on a higher floor for the best chance of getting a room with a decent view and more natural light. Although none of the rooms has any real view here, by being on the 2nd floor on the side of the building where we were, we ended up looking directly at a wall of one of the airport buildings, which was just a few feet away and was a rather depressing view. It didn’t matter since we were there for such a short time, but I would still request a high floor, or at least not to be on that side of the hotel, in the future.

The only dining venue in the hotel is Quills Restaurant, which is where we ate dinner when we arrived and breakfast the next morning. In line with everything else at the hotel, Quills was excellent! Although it seemed unnecessary that the front desk clerk had advised us to make a reservation at Quills when we checked in, it was good that we made one, since the staff at the restaurant seemed a bit flustered when guests arrived without reservations (although they would still seat them with no problem). Quills is nicely decorated like the rest of the hotel, and I would say it generally serves international cuisine, with a focus on African dishes. The salmon and filet mignon entrees that we tried were both excellent, beautifully presented, and fairly priced in my mind for an upscale hotel. You can definitely eat for less in South Africa, but with the pricier entrees being about R250, or about $20 USD each, we weren’t upset with the pricing, especially given how nice our dinner was. The wines they offered were also reasonably priced, and we both liked the South African reds that we tried with our dinners. The cherry clafoutis (basically cherry pie) that we had for dessert was absolutely delicious, and was a highlight of the meal. Our server specified that the clafoutis is a hotel specialty that is made-to-order, and takes about 25 minutes to make once ordered. We’re glad we waited for them to make it, since it was well worth it.

Beyond simply having good food, the service was excellent at Quills. Our server was friendly, polite, and eager to please, and multiple staff members checked on us to make sure our meal was satisfactory. They all seemed genuinely proud of the food they were serving and wanted to make sure we had a great experience. Breakfast in the morning at Quills was a similar experience. The pancakes and waffle we tried were beautifully presented and quite tasty, with great service along the way. There is a full buffet offered at breakfast in addition to a regular menu, but we declined the buffet since it was more food than we wanted.

Our departure from the InterContinental was just as smooth as arrival, and it was so nice to be able to walk just across the street to catch our next flight. It meant that we didn't have to get up unduly early to make it on time, which was important to us. We started our stay bleary-eyed and exhausted from a long-haul flight, but we departed the next morning feeling totally refreshed to begin our safari in South Africa. It turns out that the InterContinental was the absolute best hotel we experienced during our trip, which I never would have expected of an airport hotel. This property is well managed and it shows. Every single staff member we encountered was courteous and enthusiastic, which is perfect when coupled with a hotel that has beautiful rooms and a nice restaurant. I would highly recommend the InterContinental when stopping over before or after a flight at JNB. It’s a decision you won’t regret.

Room Tip: None of the rooms seem to have much of a view, but a higher floor is more likely to avoid a view of...
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
SCarreira, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2017

Dear mrg0137
Thank you for taking the time to post feedback following from your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. I could not agree with you more with regards to the convenience of the hotels location being only 68.7 meters away from the International Arrivals hall, which really makes your on route transit stop over hassle free and very convenient after a long haul flight. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed all the comforts of our newly refurbished room. As an airport hotel we also operate our restaurant and in room dining around the clock and I am happy to read that you enjoyed the service and offering from our Quills Restaurant. We truly appreciate the lengthy review and the recommendation. Once again thank you for your feedback and your loyal support as an IHG member and I trust that when on route back into South Africa we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel
Kind regards

Reviews (1 380)

14 - 18 of 1 380 reviews

Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

This hotel understands that the details make a difference. The staff were all very friendly and service was excellent right from check in, everyone seemed genuinely intent on ensuring your stay was the best it could be. The concierge was great, explaining how to use the train to get to Nelson Mandela square for dinner and ensured we knew what time the last train returned and made sure to give us the hotel information in case we missed it. The rooms are tastefully decorated and equipped with a nespresso machine and a few small snacks which was perfect to catch our morning flight out. Beautiful bathrooms with large tub and spacious shower, all impeccably clean and a very comfortable bed. We made use of the gym which was large for a hotel gym and overlooked the airport. The newspaper on the door early morning as well as the world news printed out daily by the pool area were all little touches that made this place stand out. With turndown service there is a small card that tells you the weather for the next day and the best part is the ability to use USB for charging instead of worrying about having converters for electronics. You also can't beat the location walking right into the airport in the morning was so convenient. Will stay again next time we come through Tambo!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
SCarreira, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2017

Dear Jhill1984
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of our elegantly appointed rooms where we focused on comfort and quality and all of the offerings and services our property offers. Thank you for taking the time to recommend my property and for the lengthy review on my property and for recognising the professional and memorable service that you received, it is warming to know that my team have made your stay successful and memorable. Thank you once again for the feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

After a 14 hr flight the relief to have this great hotel 5 min walk from customs was heaven. The rooms are beautiful and well kept and the bar and restaurant are fantastic. There was a wonderful young man that needs a call out for fantastic customer service. His name was MONDII.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family

Dear MarkymarkSydney
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of our elegantly appointed rooms where we focused on comfort and quality and all of the offerings and services our property offers. Thank you for taking the time to recommend my property and for the lengthy review on my property and for recognising the professional and memorable service that you received from Mondli, it is warming to know that my team have made you stay both a success as well as memorable. Thank you once again for the feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

On our way back from Phalaborwah Limpopo SA this Intercontinental hotel right next door to the airport terminals proved to be a God send. A short stroll from arrivals one is greeted by a tall major domo who took us in.
This hotel chain aspires to the pursuit of excellence so one is assured of best efforts.
We were not disappointed. Our room was spacious and everything worked. My need for a powerful shower was assuaged.
Even the soaps and creams were beautifully chosen.
There is a special button on the phone for immediate response on any topic and a live person who ensures prompt service.
Again the cot service for our wee bairn was excellent.
Food was scrummy in room service and in the restaurant
The bed was very comfortable allowing my wife and I to have a deliciously peaceful night.
The ability to have friends visit and drop their cars off temporarily without hassle was a boon. A very good meet and greet area below. Parking is airport based so they do not have their own. A slight downside.
Breakfast was excellent with attention to detail. So many hotels today still don't provide soya milk. This one did.
Service was good but the Maitresse D' a bit distant.
All in all though quite expensive the value for money is very good and this Interconti comes highly recommended

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Andrew M
SCarreira, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2017

Dear Andrew M
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in our elegantly appointed rooms that have full amenity offering in the rooms. I truly appreciate you recommending my property and I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 1 October 2017

While I'm sure there are less expensive airport hotels, we loved the fact the hotel was about a one minute walk from the arrivals hall. It could not be easier to check in at this hotel. We stayed here when we arrived at Johannesburg from the west coast of the United States - a long haul! Despite the long plane trip we wanted to do a day tour and the hotel had a room ready for us for an early check in. When we departed, the hotel arranged for us ti have our room available through the early afternoon. Very accommodating both when we arrived and when we departed!

Our room included breakfast and it was wonderful. A vast array of options plus a cooked to order entree. We also had dinner twice at the hotel and both times it was very good.

Our room was great. Super clean and comfortable.

We will definitely be returning to southern Africa as we loved our safari experiences in Botswana and South Africa and we will definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
SCarreira, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017

Dear Jann01