See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 4 March 2011

Even though the name of the hotel contains the word "airport", please do not get fooled; it is not within walking distance and they do not provide free airport shuttle service (or any shuttle service at all for that matter). The taxi to and from the airport would easily cost you 50+ rands.
All night long, there was loud noise made by some soccer team, who happened to be staying at the hotel, and the hotel staff did nothing to stop it. Not only did I have a hard time falling asleep because of the noise, when I went down to the restaurant for some breakfast in the morning, there was no waiter or anyone on the staff to serve people. And when I was checking out, one of their ladies told the rep at the reception desk that she saw me in the restaurant having breakfast and that she needed to double-check to make sure that my rate came with breakfast. After the lady at the desk looked at some papers, she told me that my rate did not come with breakfast and that I had to pay for the breakfast, which cost 95 rands (USD 13)...which is a rip-off by the way, for just some coffee and OJ and croissants at a 3-star hotel like this.
I said to the lady at the reception desk that they should have had someone at the entrance to the restaurant chekcing people's ID's and room numbers to make sure that their room rates included breakfast, but to no avail. I was forced to pay the 95 rands eventually.
After I returned to my home country, I tried to get in touch with the hotel and their service centre about this incident many times, and all I got from them was " we have referred the matter to the location..." It has been more than 6 months now, and I am still waiting...
Therefore, I would strongly recommend AGAINST staying at this damn hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank PierreHsieh
Reviewed 30 October 2010

The room looks great on the net in reality it's very run down . The promise of an internet service is all there is. a promise.The pool is not maintained with no fencing therefore a permanent cover over the pool.Most importantly the hotel is situated on two busy intersections and all the rooms face one street and the noise is constant all night long. Hooting, talking, trucks etc I got no sleep for two nights. The fridge and the aircon were competing with the traffic making a banging sound as soon as you managed to drift off to sleep, because of the street noise opening a window was not an option so I slept boiling hot listening to the traffic all night. The last day I was there I needed to wash my hair but the hotel had no water 'go figure' Fortunately my sense of humour kept my teeth form grinding down.
Would only recommend this hotel to my worst enemy

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 September 2010

As the name suggests, “Don Airport Hotel” is just a five minutes drive away from the “OR Tambo” airport. The three of us stayed in an apartment which had two bed rooms, a kitchen, a living room and two bathrooms. The apartment was clean, well-heated and included all the amenities we needed.

The only problem was that during our nine nights stay, the room safe broke down a couple of times and a technician was called to open the safe.

Even though an airport hotel, it is in a very safe area, close to a few fast-food restaurants (KFC, McDonalds, etc.), plus a “Seven eleven” supermarket. Also, there is the “Greenstone” shopping mall close by, but you’ll need a car to drive there (15-20 minutes).

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 April 2009

I am not much of a complainer, but this hotel was terrible. We stayed there one night before catching a flight to the Kruger area. As it is an airport hotel, I didn't expect much. When we arrived at JNB we were told that the airport shuttle was "broken" and that we had to get there on our own. We were given a room facing the highway and could barely sleep all night with all the noise. The television was broken as was the alarm clock (and also the computer in the business center). The pool was unswimmable at best. Furthermore, they forgot to give us our wake up call in the morning which (in combination with no alarm clock) almost caused us to miss our flight. All I'm looking for in an airport hotel is a place with a shuttle, a quiet night's sleep, and a reliable wakeup. This hotel went 0/3 -- Don't waste your money!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank Travelguy120
Reviewed 15 March 2009

The start of our stay was not great! As we would get there after dark, we were told that taxis were not the safest and had reserved a hotel shuttle to take us from the airport to the hotel. However the shuttle was not present upon our arrival. After a check with the hotel the shuttle had apparantly left the airport 10 minutes before our plane landed (ahead of time) and had no plans of returning as they had closed their service for the day. We spent an hour discussing on the phone with the hotel before we ended up taking taxis. Once safe at the hotel we found it to be somewhat worn down, but clean. Sheets definately needs to be thrown out and replaced as they have holes in them.
Breakfast the next morning was ok however somewhat more expensive than any of the other places we've stayed afterwards.
All in all if you just need a clean and reasonably priced place to stay for a night it is ok, but I wouldn't recommend it for anything more than that.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends