All reviews boutique hotel gated community lovely boutique one night great chef an amazing meal african trip friendly driver wonderful hotel travel agent long flight an oasis lovely room great stop nice garden close to the airport home from home
Reviewed 5 October 2017

This hotel is in a magnificent area of Johannesburg! It is gated, very well taken care of, and the staff is unbelieveable. My boyfriend misplaced our passports and his wallet which was very upsetting to say the least. The hotel staff bent over backwards to assist us in getting what and where we needed to go to get the passports replaced. Fortunately I found the passports and his wallet. I just can't tell you how wonderful and helpful everyone was. The owner even came to the hotel to check on us and offer his help. The food at the hotel is delicious. The Chef comes to your table each evening to go over the menu. Beautiful boutique hotel. The decor is lovely. If you are staying in Johannesburg this is the place.

Room Tip: Ever room was unique and lovely.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
OttiM, Owner at African Rock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, Deborah.
I am so happy that you found the passports and wallets only a moment before the old ones where cancelled in the system... :).
I am glad we could be of service with support and transfers to and from the US embassy. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your time here in Africa while on safari. I wish you many more happy travels! Otti Meijer

Reviewed 26 September 2017

After arriving in Johannesburg from NY, we stayed one night there to rest before our safari camps. Small, wonderful personalized service. Arrived early in the day and were immediately taken to our rooms. Beautifully decorated, lovely room and surroundings. Garden where you eat, with carved statues. Exhausted after the long flight, we both had great massages.Had dinner and breakfast there. Excellent food. Thanks to our terrific travel agent, Rikke Williams, from Go2Africa for putting us in such a lovely, peaceful and quiet place. It is situated in a nice residential area, away from the airport.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
OttiM, Owner at African Rock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017

Dear Meg, thank you for your nice review! I am happy that you enjoyed your brief stay with us and that we could look after you so well. I wish you many more happy travels!! Otti

Reviewed 18 September 2017

A boutique hotel in Johannesburg in a nice and quite area close to the international airport OR Tembo. The hotel is wonderful. Rooms are are privat and very nicely decorated. Food and staff is great. An oasis in Johannesburg where you don't feel that your in a city. Highly recomandable

Room Tip: Just enjoy this oasis
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
OttiM, Owner at African Rock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2017

Hello, thank you for taking the time to write a review and recommend us, much appreciated!
I am glad that you enjoyed your short stay here with us.
I wish you many more happy travels!! Otti.

Reviewed 10 September 2017

We arrived at the African Rock Hotel after a long and trying drive and we were almost overwhelmed by the warm and friendly welcome. The Hotel is small but exquisite. We felt absolutely secure there. The decoration of our room was inviting and dinner was excellent. The shuttle service to and from the airport was well organized and punctual. We can only recommend the African Rock Hotel for a stopover in Johannesburg.
Thank you for a great experience!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
OttiM, Owner at African Rock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2017

Hello, Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I am happy you enjoyed your short stay with us. I wish you many more happy travels in Africa. Otti.

Reviewed 1 September 2017

The hotel is located amidst a guarded residential estate, so security is well taken care of.

The design concept of this hotel is quite brilliant, being centred on gemstones (hence the name African rocks)

room was spacious and comfortable, though lacking in a bit of privacy, as the door and windows are full-height glass. You could of course keep all your curtains closed, but that means the room gets a bit dark. Breakfast was a bit underwhelming, and I say this based on the much better breakfasts I have had in other parts of South Africa, albeit not in Johannesburg, so perhaps this might be the usual standard served at Johannesburg hotels?

All in all, a good hotel that is located not far from the Airport, which makes for a convenient and comfortable transit

Room Tip: May wish to choose the 2nd floor rooms if you value privacy
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
OttiM, Owner at African Rock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2017

Hello. Thank you for reviewing us. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Try the chefs special ARH omelette the next time you are here, you will be pleasantly surprised. Happy travels. Otti.