“Unique experience, amazing pizza”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Bioscope Independent Cinema, Johannesburg
Reviewed 1 September 2017 via mobile

I was in SA with a large group of nursing students, and we went to The Bioscope to see a documentary and have dinner. Our group had people from three countries (US, Canada, and Australia), and I think we were all equally intrigued by the quirky theatre. They had a little trouble loading our movie, but it wasn't a huge set back.

After the movie we had a ton of pizza. I tried every kind they offer, and I loved every one. Probably the best pizza I've ever had. If I'm lucky enough to make it back to Johannesburg, I'll definitely make another trip to The Bioscope.

Reviewed 14 February 2017

When I tell people that I'm going to The Bioscope they think I'm talking old fashioned. However, it's the best Art House Film venue that I frequent. Besides the (mostly) off circuit movies on offer, it's relaxed and quaint atmosphere – the seats are all leather car seats sponsored by patrons - sets the tone for an unusual experience. Excellent pizza’s and drinks, including beer or wine, can be ordered from the Chalkboard, which can be taken into the theatre (pizzas are even delivered inside if you order too late). Running special screenings, film festivals and occasionally even live music or presentations, The Bioscope is not just about watching a show, but is an experience. Sign up to their mailing list and you will receive regular updates about what’s on, a must for any movie buff.

1  Thank Paul B
Reviewed 24 March 2016 via mobile

I presented my ticket at the counter where i ordered beer and pizza - to be delivered to me in the bioscope itself. Once inside, i find myself seated on a cosy car seat, i only really discovered this when looking for a holder to put my beer in and to find a seat belt buckle. Then the pizza came, on my lap and the documentary started. At first a bit odd to have a plated pizza on my lap - i mean, sheesh! Wafts of pizza aroma trekking through the bioscope... But then it occurred, "hey! Pizza, beer, and viewing pleasure!" I was looking for my seat-belt out of habit... Being buckled in has conditioned me to a feeling of safety. And to qualm the selfish feeling of My pizza, My own! I nudged the las beside me and asked if she wanted a slice? She kindly refused - maybe i should have asked her without a slop of pizza hanging out my mouth. Oh, and the dokkie was cool.

Reviewed 14 February 2016 via mobile

Good Pizza..

Got that arty vibe to it. . Sitting in a bioscope eating a pizza, while having a beer. .

Good olden movies.. it seats so about 64 people. .

Seats are made out of car seats. . So you can recline it. .

Will make a turn there again. For sure

Reviewed 29 August 2015

Displays some of the best independent films in South Africa, has a very laid back vibe and has a cafe (chalkboard) that does delicious pizza