“I had a very poor experience at Collectors Treasury this morning.”

Collectors Treasury
Ranked #33 of 63 Shopping in Johannesburg
Reviewed 12 November 2016

One of the owners stood watching my brother and I as we browsed the camera selection, looking for used lenses. This went on for about 15 minutes until he took a photo of us (unfortunately for him, the "click" sound wasn't disabled, so we caught him). We politely asked why he felt the need to do that, as it made us feel like criminals and seemed like he was collecting "proof" or our identity in case we stole. He dodged questions and said he was "just taking a photo of the store, and you guys might be in the background of the photo". We pressed him to show us the photo and he told us a story about someone who stole a book several weeks ago, a story that had nothing to do with us. We made it clear that we didn't go there to steal, even mentioning that my brother has been there several times and purchased lenses and books.
I've never been so blatantly profiled in my life. If you've ever been racially profiled, this scenario shouldn't sound new to you.
Given my experience, I cannot recommend this store at all.

2  Thank Lebo L

Reviewed 11 June 2016 via mobile

I found this in Google by searching on "antiquarian books South Africa"

I am a history buff and was looking for South African military history particularly the Boer War and they had plenty of material.

The owners Geoff and Jonathan were very knowledgeable and helpful.

Highly recommended

Reviewed 4 January 2016

The Southern Hemisphere's largest bookstore is here and this store never throws out any stick. What looks to be a mess of books seems to have some order to it as the owner directed me to two sections which stocked South African fiction as requested. Getting around the place is hazardous due to the huge number of books just piled on top of one another throughout the store. Found a few books that I bought. Compared their prices to second hand stuff on the UK and US Amazon sites and found that I'd made some fantastic savings of at least 70% less.

Reviewed 11 October 2015 via mobile

Beware, if you are caustrophobic avoid this place. It was almost impossible to look around as you had to navigate a thin pathway of towering unevenly stacked books on either side. Silently praying the Red Sea of books would stay up and not come crashing down on you. It seemed like there was no organization which made it hard to appreciate anything the owner "collects" or hoards.

Reviewed 24 December 2014

We only had a short visit, it's in a dodgy part of town but don't let that put you off.

Eight stories worth of books housed in the building, apparently 2 million books and 300,000 records, plus all sorts of collectables. Though you can't access all levels. It is mind blowing, books everywhere and I'm certain something will be found that you've wanted for a while amongst the dusty piles of books, which are just everywhere.

I rate it as one of my highlights of our trip to Joburg... Crazy crazy place which just made me smile the while time I was there... I'll be heading back and most likely stay for about 6-8 hours much to the disgust of my girlfriend, who isn't as into books as I am...

Even if your not into books as much as doe, go and have a look at this place, you'll be amazed!