“Tsholo is a fantastic tour guide and showed us around in Johannesburg. He knows a lot and loves his country.”
Review of MoAfrika Tours

MoAfrika Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Day tours and sightseeing trips in and around Johannesburg and Pretoria. We carefully select and evaluate all our sights and activities to offer tours that are highly customized to your leisure wishes. Popular sight-seeing tours include the Soweto Tour, The Apartheid Museum, the Johannesburg City Tour and the Lion Park Tour.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 21 August 2016 via mobile

Tsholo is a fantastic tour guide and showed us around in Johannesburg. He knows a lot and loves his country. If you have a few days in Joburg give him a call. He also knows a tour guide in Cliptown in Soweto which will be an experience you will never forget.

MoAfrikaT, Manager at MoAfrika Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2016

Hi there Arnout,

Thank you for your great review and we are glad that you had a super time with Tsholo, he is growing each day into a top guide and we are lucky to have him part of our team.
He loves Soweto like all of us and we looking forward to welcoming you and your friends on tour with us in the future.

Have safe travels.

in 7 reviews
"excellent guide"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 19 August 2016

Got picked up near the Joburg Airport in the morning by Kobus and then we drove to Pilanesberg followed by a private Tour in his PKW. Excellent tour, we saw so many animals! Very informative and just great. Astonishing tracking skills btw, that was just awesome. Also this private, closed game drive was much much better than the open vehicale drives by the Black Rhino Reserve guys the days after that, just much more personal, easier to take pictures, no need to think about other people and the car is so much less noisy which helps not to drive animals away.
Got picked up after a few days again by Kobus and we had a nice day in Sun City before he dropped me off back in Joburg. Had so much fun, very personal and nice! Definitely would recommend!
For pictures of what we saw see my instagram: yomincarrpixy

Hi there Alexander,

Thank you for your review and feedback on our Pilanesberg tour you took with Kobus.
Our guides are great at tracking the animals and do try their best to find as many as possible for you.
We are glad that you enjoyed the closed vehicle drive as it was more convenient for you.

Looking forward to having you back on safari with us in the near future.

Reviewed 18 August 2016

During my 9-day stay in Johannesburg, I took three day or half-a-day tours with MO Afrika:

a) Soweto + Apartheid Museum with the guide whose first name translated into English was Hope. We visited all the places indicated in the MOAfrika booklet and had a local guide for Soweto. I enjoyed the tour, the only problem was we were quite a big group and it took time to collect all people and bring us back to our hotels. Apart from that, the tour was nice and instructive.

b) Pilanesberg + Sun City with Kobus. I originally wanted to go to the Rhino-Lion Park but I was first told no one else intended to do this tour and then I was told, there were too many people going to the Park (this was confusing). I was offered to join a day tour to Pilanesberg and Sun City. I did and I enjoyed the tour. We were a small group (3 people + the guide) and made one ride in the Park in an open vehicle and then went to the Sun City to see the Palace of the Lost City. It was a lot of driving but the tour was useful in giving an impression what the safari is all about. The Sun City is a strange place - it is supposed to look majestic but to me, it looked more like a kitsch made for people who do not know what to do with their money. It was nonetheless good to see it. On the way pack, we passed by a dam - and this was a very interesting and pleasant place to see (as the whole Gauteng region lacks in water places). The company should consider whether an early pick-up (5.45-6.00), is really necessary, provided we came to the Park at 8.45 and had the ride only at 10.00.

c) Pretoria + Lion Park with Desmond - we visited the Voortrekker monument and the Paul Kruger house and we had short stops at the Church Square, at the Melrose House and at the Union Buildings. I enjoyed Pretoria, it is a nice city and looks safer than JHB. In the afternoon, we went to the Lion Park, which is more like a big ZOO (with animals kept in separate, albeit large enclosures and fed by humans). We saw some packs of lions, hyenas, zebras and some other animals.The Park seems to be made for tourists but it is a good place to visit for those, who do not have enough time in JHB to go to one of the national parks. Desmond was a very good guide, he told us a lot particularly about Pretoria. While some of the other guides I had in SA were more drivers than guides, Desmond was a true guide.

Generally, I was very satisfied with the three tours organized by MO Afrika. The company is reliable and flexible. Some of my tours were arranged by me at the latest moment (the night before) and still, all worked perfectly. The pick-up was always on time or even a bit earlier which I really appreciated. We had enough time for all the places we visited, I never felt like I was pressed to leave a place where I would like to stay longer. The company is rather big by the JHB standards (some other companies only have 1-3 guides) and it can therefore organize several trips at the same time according to the individual wishes of its clients. The company is also flexible with paying - it could be done after the tour, in cash, by a credit card (by phone) or even online. I appreciated this flexibility and the trust the company had in its clients.

Some recommendations for the MO Afrika:
- It would be nice to plan the tours taking more into consideration the lunch time. On most of the tours we could only have lunch at 14-15.30, which was a bit late. If this cannot be arranged, simply let people know in advance, so that they take something with them.
- The guides should really serve as guides, not merely as drivers. That leaves an utterly different impression from the tour when you learn something about the places from the local guide (rather than merely reading the information in your guidebook or in the signs available in the places).

Finally, I would like to thank MO Afrika for the three excellent tours I took with them. They made my stay in JHB very interesting and unforgettable. If I ever go back to South Africa, I will definitely use MO Afrika´s services again, as I know it is a company I can trust.

1  Thank Veronika660
MoAfrikaT, Owner at MoAfrika Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2016

Good Day Veronika.

Thank you for your feedback, we do read all of them and take all the suggestions into account.

As we do offer small group tours and try to keep our rates as competitive as possible, thus the reason for the number of collections. We do like to offer collections at any address in Johannesburg in order to avoid having our clients traveling to a central collection point to make it more convient and safer for all of our guests.
We have just purchased more vehilces in order to spread out the collections and then meet up at a central location and start the tour, thus saving time for everyone.

Our management team is looking in to making the collections for the Pilanesberg slightly later, however as we are heading into Summer now, the open safari drives do depart earlier, so we will keep the early collection times and will revert next year when winter comes.

We offer the Lion Park as a quick animal safari option for those travelers who only have a few hours in Johannesburg and want to see the animals, yes it is like a Big Zoo, however if a traveler has short time it is the ideal place to visit to get up close to the animals.

We are certainly working on improving our services and we are glad that you are happy with what you received and even booking tours at the last minute, and payments through all methods which is something that we will offer for all time.

Once again we do appreciate all of your feedback and taking it all into account

Looking forward to meeting you soon.

Reviewed 17 August 2016

The driver was a bit late to pick us up, reason was traffic. It was really nice to see Soweto and to walk around a bit. Goodwell is a very friendly guy, he explains a lot about RSA and South Africa. We were with 3 kids and he was very patient and helpful.
Lunch was also great experience. Can fully recommend MoAfrika Tours and Goodwell.

Hi Maarten,

Thank you for your review and we are glad that you enjoyed the tour with Goodwin to Soweto. Lunch in Soweto is really a great experience and we all enjoy heading there for a good break and meet with the locals.

Sorry for the delay in collection, but the traffic is Johannesburg is unpredictable, but glad that you had a good time on tour.

Looking forward to having you on tour again soon.

See more reviews
Reviewed 12 August 2016

e As a former South African this was a. journey that was long overdue . It was well organised ,(pick ups and drop offs where you needed) the tour guide was eloquent and passionate about Soweto . He spoke from his own experiences.Some of the parts are shocking when you visit the slums and see such disparity of wealth in Soweto. the museum was very informative and educational to see how unjust one race could be against another . No cameras allowed inside the museum so pack it away when you go inside and take bottles of water as it's very hot and dusty Mo Afrika tours I would highly recommend

MoAfrikaT, Manager at MoAfrika Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2016

Good Day Simmi,

Thank you for your feedback and we are all glad that you loved the tour and that all went according to plan with collecting you from your address on time and dropped off where you preferred.

Our guides do take pride in their work and South Africa and certainly show that to all of our guests.

We are hoping that you will being your family with you on your next visit to Johannesburg and show them Soweto as well.