Soweto & Other Townships - Daily tours through the eyes of a photojournalist
Ranked #6 of 98 Tours in Johannesburg
More attraction details
Owner description: Take a daily trip into Soweto and other Townships such as Alexandra and Diepsloot, South Africa, as a photojournalist and discover exciting happenings in the Townships. As we set out we plan a theme. It could be people staring out their shack windows, residents with umbrellas (see here) or growing food or whatever we decide. I photograph, you photograph and at the end of the trip, you will receive a CD with photos of the trip or the photos dropboxed to you. We discuss what makes great photo! Improve on photography while enjoying South African township life. Join us up to 5 people per group. Bring Cameras! A hat for the sun. Most of all, bring your creativity!
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We had a fantastic day with Ilan. It was great to see the real Soweto, meeting a wide variety of wonderful people, learning about the community, and its history during and after apartheid. We had a traditional breakfast and met a great Malawian traditional doctor. Ilan showed us some of his community work in helping children with their early years schooling which will provide them with a basis to go forwards into the world. Thank you for sharing your insights, Ilan, and for the wonderful photographs!

1  Thank San2904

Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

Ilan is a fantastic guide as well as a wonderful person. He showed us the people of Soweto, who they are, how they live and what they deal with. It was enlightening and uplifting. Milan knows everyone and they know him. You get a real feeling, not just dry facts. Ilan lived through apartheid so you get the facts but not in a dry way. The photos he sends you afterwards are breathtaking and full of emotion. I would do this tour every time I visit Johannesburg.

1  Thank jf33180
TourSoweto, Owner at Soweto & Other Townships - Daily tours through the eyes of a photojournalist, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi,
Thanks so much for coming on my Soweto trip and enjoying my community, Kliptown.
It is always special to take people there like you guys and of course to importantly uplift the community.
See you soon and I am glad you like the photos.
Cheers
Ilan

Reviewed 29 August 2017

Ilan took us around Sowto kliptown was very nice took tons of pictures its a great Tour highly recommended.

1  Thank yzorger
Reviewed 26 August 2017

This tour was excellent, been looking forward to it all year, Ilan was great, very informative and knew his stuff.
The visit to Cliptown was very humbling, this will stay with me for the rest of my life.
Ilan knew many of the people and the children absolutley loved him.
Well worth the trip and photographs to treasure.

1  Thank Karen S
Reviewed 21 August 2017

We had a fabulous tour with Ilan while in South Africa. He is a true humanitarian. Many of the people in Kliptown and Soweto knew him by name. Prior to going into Kliptown, he bought oranges to hand out to people who have virtually nothing. It many have been the best tour of our lives. The only down side was we never got to see any of the photos he took of us.

1  Thank rutgers77
TourSoweto, Owner at Soweto & Other Townships - Daily tours through the eyes of a photojournalist, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2017

Hi Rutgers77,
How are you? Thanks for the amazing review of the trip to Soweto.
PLEASE!!! PLEASE!!! check your spam as many times the link to the photos goes there and is not seen.
Also Please send me an email with your name and I will make sure that you get the photos.
Everyone on my trips get the photos.
Thanks so much.
Ilan

Travellers who viewed Soweto & Other Townships - Daily tours through the eyes of a photojournalist also viewed

Johannesburg, Greater Johannesburg

Been to Soweto & Other Townships - Daily tours through the eyes of a photojournalist? Share your experiences!