“Great fish and sushi restaurant”
Review of Willoughby's

Willoughby's
Ranked #477 of 1 315 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Reviewed 31 January 2017

We have eaten here reasonably often and simply love it. Very convenient in the Hyde Park shopping centre, with seating inside the restaurant and in the central plaza. We love the sushi selection - always freshly made and wonderful. On our last visit we even had a second order of sushi just because it tasted so good.

2  Thank Les P

Reviewed 26 January 2017

We were a very hungry party of 5 who arrived for dinner and left the the restaurant feeling well satisfied (except for a disappointing dessert). We sat outside the main restaurant and were very competently and warmly attended to by the waiter. After sharing a delicious basket of wholewheat rolls and a platter of some mixed seafood starters (amazing courgette fish balls and marinated calamari), we got stuck into our mains. Everyone loved their meals. The food was well cooked and tasty, and the portions very generous, which I guess is in line with the cost of each meal. The fish and chorizo skewers were a stand-out item, but the meal of the evening was the mussels served on the half-shell in a creamy wine sauce. The serving was massive and the left-overs was beautifully packaged for a convenient take-away. The wine list was varied though frustrating in that it offered no description of the wine characteristics - we Googled our way through many of the names. The only disappointment of the evening was the Oreo chocolate mousse dessert which we shared. It was a large serving, but there was no sign of a mousse. The dish amounted to a large bowl of fudgey as well as hard chocolate ganache which was not appealing at all. All in all, we are likely to return for a seafood meal as it was incredibly fresh and delicious.

2  Thank MeerkatV
Reviewed 21 December 2016 via mobile

I have always loved this restaurant and with the new refreshed version it's even better. This is a must for Sushi lovers as the selection is big and the ingredients fresh and delicous

2  Thank Zahraa M
Reviewed 3 November 2016 via mobile

My wife and I just got home after having had a really disappointing meal at the so called "restaurant". I ordered a basic fried hake and chips. The hake was terrible. Couldn't even finish it. I have my doubts that it was hake. My wife ordered mussels. And she gave up also after trying to eat about half the serving. To top it all,the waiter who served us saw that we had hardly eaten the meal. He didn't even bother to ask us what the problem was. Perhaps he's used to seeing that meals are usually not finished. Take a miss on this so called "restaurant."

Reviewed 23 August 2016

On principal I dont like Mall restaurants . i find them noisy, impersonal and vaguely voyeuristic. That colors this review.
I have not visited the eatery for some time and found it very different to my last visit. The menu has been modernized somewhat I found the dishes were pretty much same old.....
Ordinary service, ordinary food at overpriced value. Go somewhere else