Imbizo Tours and Travel - Day Tours
Open today: 00:00 - 23:59
Review Highlights
Great way to see Soweto

We spent a very informative and enjoyable day touring the Soweto township of Johannesburg with our... read more

Reviewed 23 February 2020
dannag2013
Fayetteville, Arkansas
We highly recommend!

What a nice tour! Thanks to Mandy who was our guide and let us discover Soweto and her brand new... read more

Reviewed 14 June 2019
AlexandHugo

All reviews unique experience mandy community soweto township youth uprising
Selected filters
Reviewed 12 February 2019

As a French TV crew we visited Soweto with Mandy. She introduced us to many people and old Miriam Makeba's friends, helped to visit significant places, told us many stories and took us in a typical Soweto shebeen. Very helpful and interesting! Thank you Mandy!

Date of experience: January 2019
imbizotours, Guest Relations Manager at Imbizo Tours and Travel - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2019

Hi Sonia, thank you for using and choosing Imbizo Tours to assist with your documentary, We pride ourselves in being authentic and having the ability to make anything happen for our clients. You always welcomed to come back again. Thank you

Reviewed 3 February 2019

We arranged with Imbizo tours for two days in Joburg--one in the city + Soweto and a second day in the Cradle of Humankind. Never having traveled to SA before, we knew we were in good hands when Tati arrived at our hotel right on time with his car and driver. We received exactly what we'd hoped for--not just a cruise around buildings and parks, but an education in the striking contrasts of modern South Africa. Entering
the huge district of Soweto, we first visited the upscale California neighborhood, where residents who have succeeded in business have built their luxury homes as a sign of their commitment to the area. Moving on to Freedom Square, we visited the lobby of the beautiful four-star Soweto Hotel before starting our walking tour of Kliptown, the informal settlement directly below it. We were very pleased that Imbizo engaged a local organizer to provide this tour, including a small direct payment that we are sure will be used for the benefit of residents. This was in stark contrast to the large tourist buses that whizzed by, stopping only to snap a photo of Kliptown from above.

The following day we opted for the Cradle of Humankind and Sterkfontein caves, and again were provided excellent service from Delone, who not only drove but provided insight into this lovely country area of Gauteng and its important anthropological discoveries.

Overall, we were thrilled with our two days and only wish it could have been more. Imbizo was easy to contact by email and prompt to respond with a quote. Do be prepared to pay your guide in cash at the end of the tour unless you've made previous arrangements (they can stop at a safe ATM for you) and let them know what customizations you'd like, including more or less time at certain stops or a drink or lunch break. Working with this local company will surely give you far more insight into SA than a basic "highlights" tour.

Date of experience: January 2019
1  Thank R0ckRidge

Hello, we honestly can't thank you enough for this amazing review. We strive to provide smooth and excellent service at all times and are truly happy to hear you were satisfied and we doing this right. Thank you and please don't forget to see us when you come to South Africa again.

Reviewed 3 January 2019

Seeing Soweto up close and personal was a truly memorable experience and I'm so glad we did it. As advised by the Rough Guides, we requested a tour with Mandy and did the Apartheid Museum in the morning and then a tour of Soweto in the afternoon. Despite hearing bad things about Soweto, we felt safe at all times.

It was special to have been given such an up-close and personal tour by Mandy, who was brought up in Soweto. We learned a lot and found the experience draining emotionally, physically and intellectually - which just made it all the more worth it.

Imbizo were also able to drop us back at the airport as part of the tour. We were only sad not to have been shown the Soweto brewery as promised when we booked.

Date of experience: December 2018
Reviewed 26 November 2018

We did the visit as advised with Ms Mandy into Soweto. It has been an incredible experience, and very emotional. We learned so much about the place, about how people live, how people feel, how people see life... Mandy is an amazing person, so easy to talk to, and with a lot to say and to show. Really, avoid the big tour things that go in Soweto, we were just the three of us, we went deep, and it was really worth it. I actually thanks also the Guide du Routard for this great advice, and the agency for their work, I hope you will be able to continue, and also I hope with all my heart that the problem we just surfaced will see a solution in the future...

Date of experience: November 2018
Mandy M, Manager at Imbizo Tours and Travel - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2018

Hi Juliette

Am so touched with your feedback, the days spent with you are the reasons I wake up, I truly feel blessed to share my days with people like you. Come back again, or tell a friend. Thank you

Reviewed 12 September 2018 via mobile

I am taking my parents on their first trip to Africa. As an African American, it is very important to me to support black-owned businesses. My tour company suggested another tour guide but I sought out a black-owned company. Much to my regret, I selected Imbizo. We made arrangements for a tour of Soweto for the one full-day we are in Johannesburg. This morning no one showed. When our hotel called, the owner of Imbizo got on the phone with my mother and began to tell my mother this was her fault and then hung up on her. I was in the rest room and called back to express my displeasure with how she treated my mother. I explained that I chose her company over one recommended by my tour operator precisely because it was black-owned. She then told me this was why she did not like to work with African Americans. I was completely outraged. Someone else called from the company- she was extremely polite and professional and tried to make amends. But under no circumstances was I subjecting my parents to a company owned by such an insane, unprofessional and spectacularly rude person. A true embarrassment to her profession. Too bad I could not leave negative stars.

Date of experience: September 2018
Mandy M, General Manager at Imbizo Tours and Travel - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2018

Hi Natalie

I understand your frustration and disappoint you have towards the lack of professionalism and disrespect that I had displayed that morning. I am so embarrassed in the way I had handled our phone call in the morning I should have handled it better. That is why I ensured that I find you in any way possible to profusely apologize to you and your family, and because God knew that I do not act in that manner and i was feeling guilty for my actions he lead me to find you at the restaurant where we met.I again apologize and offer a free tour as a courtesy should you ever return or you can gift a friend with this courtesy. Til me meet again