“Ideal setting for vegetarians”
Review of Qunu Restaurant

Qunu Restaurant
Ranked #22 of 1 475 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Elegant dining in one of Johannesburg’s top restaurants. Qunu features innovative menus with bold flavours and an honest approach to cuisine, using only the finest South African cuts of meat, the freshest fish, handpicked seasonal ingredients and carefully selected produce from local artisans. The recently introduced VegVegan menu offers our vegetarian and vegan guests an innovative journey through the freshest and finest botanicals available. The Sommeliers interact with guests and delight in sharing their knowledge of local and international wines to ensure that the perfect wine is paired with your favourite dish.
Reviewed 13 September 2018

This lovely restaurant caters to vegetarians with exceptional food. I do wish they had more options for vegans, however. All in all the food was great, the setting lovely, the service impeccable.We were very.pleased.

Date of visit: September 2018
1  Thank ronnie63_11
GeorgeCohen, Managing Director at Qunu Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2018

Dear ronnie63_11,

Thank you for your review of your meal at Qunu. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your time with us and found the service impeccable. We will have to follow up on our side as to why our VegVegan menu, with plenty of Vegan options as well as some Vegetarian, was not offered to you.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 1 September 2018 via mobile

My husband and I visited Qunu for our anniversary dinner. The food and service were excellent, however I gave it a two because upon payment the waiter specifically requested that we excluded the tip and pay him the tip cash as it’s often very hard for them to get their tip when customers include the tip on the bill and pay electronically. This was shocking to me, an establishment of the caliber of Qunu, or any other business for that matter should not be in the habit of cheating their waiters of their well deserved tip. I was extremely disappointed

Date of visit: August 2018
GeorgeCohen, Managing Director at Qunu Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2018

Dear P6102MIanas,

May I start by thanking you for taking the time to bring your experience at Qunu to our attention, as well as choosing to spend your anniversary dinner here with us. I am pleased to hear that you found the food and service to be excellent, but I do have to apologise for your experience when you requested the bill.

I would like to personally assure you that our team members do receive all gratuities owing to them in recognition of their hard work and dedicated service, regardless of whether it is paid cash or electronically. I would also like to personally discuss this further with you, and as such would ask that you to be in contact with me at managingdirector@saxon.co.za.

I do look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 20 August 2018

One of my best experiences ever. Quite expensive, but definitely worth every cent. Very romantic. The pics of Mr. Douw Steyen and Mr. Mandela, very impressive!

Date of visit: March 2018
GeorgeCohen, Managing Director at Qunu Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2018

Dear Delone,

Thank you for your review of your recent visit to Qunu! We are delighted to hear that you found it to be one of your best experiences ever. We do look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 29 July 2018

A few weeks ago I posted a critical review of Qunu at the Saxon Hotel on Tripadvisor, based on my most recent visit there in May. A day or two after that review appeared, I received an email from the manager of the hotel, Mr. Tom Rutherford, and then a follow-up phone call the next day. Mr. Rutherford was beyond embarrassed that my party could have had such a negative experience at Qunu, which as I said in my review, is one of the top-rated restaurants in South Africa, and one which we have previously enjoyed immensely. After a long conversation, during which he asked me to relate details of our evening at Qunu, he asked if there was anything that he could do to win back my loyalty. Since I live in Los Angeles, and travel to South Africa only every 2 years, I suggested to him that he could invite my dear friends, Ron and Judy Friedericksen, who live in Johannesburg and who accompany me to Qunu each time I visit, including the less than satisfactory last visit, to dinner. Without hesitation, Mr Rutherford thanked me for this suggestion, and the following day my friend Ron had received a personal phone call from Mr. Rutherford, with an invitation to be his guest at Qunu at a future convenient date.
Fast forward a few weeks—my friend Ron called me this morning to tell me that he and his wife had had one of the most memorable meals of their lives at Qunu last night. The service, the food, the wine were all of the quality that we had experienced on previous visits, and that I have come to expect from Qunu.

So what is the moral of this story?—it is not just about excellent food and drink. It is also about how an establishment of quality will take responsibility for a misstep such as occurred on our recent visit and will go out of their way to show that one poor experience does not define them. Thank you Mr. Rutherford, and Gustav who took such good are of my friends—should I book my table for 2020 now?

Date of visit: May 2018
1  Thank blou3bul
GeorgeCohen, Managing Director at Qunu Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2018

Dear blou3bul,

Thank you so much for your review and your feedback on the communications and reparations from our team. We are delighted that your friends enjoyed their visit and that we were able to restore their (and your faith) in Qunu and indeed the Saxon - it is also great to hear that Gustav and Tom took such good care them.

Thank you for being willing to give us the opportunity to rectify the experience your guests and yourself had on the previous visit.

We do look forward to your visit in 2020, and we could certainly book your table for you in advance.

Reviewed 29 July 2018 via mobile

Not the largest breakfast buffet nor best in the world (that would be the King David in Jerusalem) however this was truly extra-ordinary. The buffet itself is over the top. Oysters, sushi, champagne, meets, fruits, etc were 10/10, and that excludes the menu items available (though not necessary) in addition. Also, the service was impeccable. Fast and no request denied. The on,y reason for 1/10th deduction is that the coffee (any kind, fresh and excellent) wasn’t offered to be topped up during our meal.

Date of visit: July 2018

Dear S_and_LK,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at Qunu. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and thank you also for your comments regarding the coffee.

We will certainly look forward to seeing you again soon.