All reviews beautiful garden safe parking home away from home stayed here felt very safe stay there again attention to detail guest house eileen establishment jhb security
Reviewed 10 September 2015

What a gem, tucked away in Northcliff Ext 9. Lovely spacious rooms with extremely pleasing décor throughout. Immaculate garden areas, very welcoming. Eileen is a very warm and welcoming host, with a great sense of style, and detail to comfort.

Room tip: All of the rooms had an appeal.
Date of stay: September 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Eileen B, Owner at 49 on Norman Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2015

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review, your pictures are very nice, especially the one of the Clivia's. Looking forward to seeing you again.
Warm regards

Reviewed 10 September 2015

it is very convient and on right place at right time. we overnight there it is guiet and peaceful resting and have a really fantastic breakfast all included at a very good price. i prefer it to any body .

Room tip: all rooms will i prefer
Date of stay: July 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It was a great pleasure accommodating you. Looking forward to meeting you again in the near future.
Warm regards.

Reviewed 22 August 2015

The position is convenient, quiet and security is excellent. We had a lovely room opening onto the very pretty and well maintained garden. The facilities are really good, large bathroom with a lovely shower, his and hers basins and large fluffy towels, excellent breakfast with lots to choose from, very efficient and fast wifi. Eileen really went the extra mile for us and we would really recommend this facility. Value for money is excellent!

Date of stay: August 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you vey much for your wonderful review, My staff and I appreciate it when we get such wonderful comments.
Hope to see you again in the near future.
Warm regards

Reviewed 11 August 2015

There are hundreds of guesthouses across Johannesburg, and, quite frankly, it can be somewhat daunting to sort through them long-distance for a good deal, the right atmosphere, and good service.

Enter 49 on Norman.

I visit Johannesburg annually and sometimes more often, and needed a new guesthouse after my previous regular establishment went out of business.

A delight from start to finish.

From my initial contact with the proprietor, Eileen Ross, to my visit, to our heart-felt goodbye, it was an excellent experience all round. I originally contacted Eileen for quotes and availability for a three-week stay. Her replies to my queries were prompt, relevant, and informative.

Eileen also attended to the small but important details. I needed to have some important documents dropped off at the house ahead of my arrival. They were available, and secure, in my room when I got there. A nice, professional touch. Things would have been much more complicated had I needed to make other arrangements to get the documents to me. It is this kind of detail that makes guests feel secure and noticed. Eileen was also able to help with the occasional copying of said documents, a small but very important convenience when working away from home.

Breakfast was more than the usual “continental” spread, with a hot meal cooked to order if you so desired. The house staff was friendly, extremely efficient, helpful, and vigilant without being intrusive. The available laundry service, a steal, meant that I was always ready to leave the guesthouse looking my best.

The guesthouse is very comfortable and well appointed from the welcoming entry (via a quite mysterious indigenous garden) to the lovely living room by way of a tiny but serviceable bar and the neat and highly functional dining area. My room was exceptional for the price. Beautifully appointed décor, large, fluffy pillows, spotless linens, and an en-suite bathroom that left nothing to be desired. Desk and Wi-Fi, important when I travel, as I have to work while on the road, were efficient and consistent.

The garden is compact but beautifully appointed. It was sheer delight to sit out in the early autumn sun on the patio overlooking the sparkling pool, enjoying a good glass of South African red wine and snacks with friends.

The property is absolutely secure with on-property parking, some covered.

And one last point in case you’re still unconvinced that this should be a destination for you:

After several days, and thereafter for the rest of my stay, once they knew me, it was heartwarming to open the front door to two very cute and well-behaved Jack Russells (and their more shy Bichon Frise compatriot) who wagged their tails with a very personal and loving “welcome home.”

Am going back in November, maybe you should too.

Room tip: I had room 6, lovely.
Date of stay: May 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Eileen B, Owner at 49 on Norman Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2015

Dear Mark,
Thank you very much for your wonderful review. It was a true pleasure accommodating you.
I enjoyed our little chats in the mornings and your cheery character at all times.
I am truly happy to hear you will be returning soon.

Reviewed 7 August 2015

49 On Norman Is A Perfect Place To Stay In Johannesburg. A Little Jewel Tucked Away In The Residential Area of Johannesburg. Home Away From Home ! Eileen Bell Is Brilliant & So Are Her Staff... Very Tastefully Decorated.

Date of stay: August 2015
Eileen B, Owner at 49 on Norman Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2015

Dear Savio,
Thank you very much for your wonderful review. My staff and I really do appreciate it when we receive such a positive feedback. I hope you had a good flight home and look forward to your return.
Kind regards