“Good Indian food”

The Raj
Ranked #250 of 1 304 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed 6 October 2017

This hotel provides descent quality and taste of the Indian cuisines.
They have lots of varieties and also home delivery options.

I tried vegetarian home delivery option and it worked.

Reviewed 21 September 2017

A nice restaurant with excellent service. Staff were friendly and food was good. great choice in MAndela Square.

Reviewed 30 June 2017

We went here for lunch and were served a buffet which was booked for us. The rotis and naans were good and dal too but can not say the same for veggies. one could barely find paneer pieces. The staff was not very friendly. As it was A pre-booked meal they did not have to bother with pleasantries as tourists do not come back.

Reviewed 28 May 2017

I love my Indian food and this was certainly one of the best Indian meals I have had for a long time. I started with Springbok tikka and it was superb. Tasty and very tender as well as being a huge portion.
I followed with prawn madras, rice and spiced potato paratha. All were excellent. they also gave 2 popadums complimentary.
Service was very good and attentive. i will be back

Reviewed 23 May 2017

During my recent trip to South Africa, I dined twice at The Raj in Johannesburg. I'ts located in the Nelson Mandela Square Mall, which was across the street from my hotel. Despite being located in the mall, don't be put off. It is well-maintained and gives the appearance of elegance, with nice table settings and soft lighting. On my first visit, I had the fish Malabar, which was flavorful and spicy, accompanied by some palak paneer (spinach), rice and naan. On the second visit, I tried the Goanese Crab curry. The flavor was explosive and well spiced, but the crabs unfortunately come in the shell and they are tiny, which makes extracting what miniscule amount of meat tedious and unrewarding. I eventually gave up and just pigged out on the naan and curry sauce - divine! You can't find Indian beer in South Africa, due to import restrictions, so I had Stella Artois on draft, which was a huge mistake; the flavor was off, and in fact, I don't think it was Stella at all. Stick to bottled beer instead. Staff was friendly and efficient, and they were very accommodating. My understanding is the place is owned by a doctor, and he brings in chefs and some other staff from India. Very well played, Doc; I will definitley return!