“Best Thai in the City”

Wangthai Restaurant
Ranked #57 of 1 461 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The flagship of the Thai Africa Group is undoubtedly Wangthai Sandton which overlooks the prestigious Nelson Mandela Square. The most authentic Thai restaurant outside of Thailand. Wangthai Sandtonalso serves the DIY dining experience: sensational Thai Suki Hot Pot. A culinary concept which dates back over 1 000 years in Asian history, Thai Suki Hot Pot today - continues to tantalise the pallet and tease the senses with its fragrant oriental flavours. Best enjoyed as a group affair; the Thai Suki Hot Pot sees an aromatic broth, brimming with flavourful Eastern ingredients, placed in a pot, and atop an induction stove - within the centre of the table. This simmers away throughout the evening, while guests gentle poach their favourite selection of fresh ingredients. There is very little effort involved, other than to indulge, at leisure, in the refreshingly light tastes of Thailand. Wangthai, invites both businessmen and women, as well as the social sect, to sample this ancient cooking tradition, to which it has added a unique measure of contemporary stylishness.
Reviewed 19 September 2018 via mobile

Just at Nelson Mandela Square there is this wonderful Thai restaurant: very authentic, super friendly service and the food is just great. We’ve been served fast and exceptionally. Prices are in the middle. Thai beer and perfect Cape wines. If I like Thai you must go

Reviewed 13 September 2018

The food is quite good compared to other Thai restaurants we've been to abroad. I came here twice during our stay in JoBurg. I noticed that the waiter/waitress didn't write down our order and the second time we were here, even though we ordered only 2 main dishes, she still got my order wrong (I got Pad Thai instead of Pad See Ew). I didn't mind eating it because I was super hungry (and the food here didn't come that fast), but it was definitely not my favorite dish.

Reviewed 9 September 2018

My wife and I were greeted at the door and shown to a table next to the window with a nice view of Mandela Square. The restaurant is clean, modern and exquisite. Our waiter was attentive, courteous and hospitable. I wish I could remember his name so I can acknowledge him on this review. There are a variety of meals and wines on the menu. Our dinner was good but nothing special to take the trouble to park in the parking garage and walk through the mall to get to again. Overall we had a great experience and would recommend Wangthai if you happen to be walking around in the mall.

Reviewed 5 September 2018 via mobile

So here’s the thing I love Thai food and I am a sucker for it but if you are a lover of proper authentic Thai food then this place will not satisfy you. I wanted to experience Wang Thai for the longest time but we went in there one day and walked straight out because we were ignored after been seated for like 15 mins. Finally went there again to try the food & was disappointed. We had green curry which is a firm favorite of mine but I have had way better green Curry’s at Thai Cafe in Greenside and Fushionista (my fav Thai place) in Randburg. The set up and decor of Wang Thai is exquisite but everything else is just mediocre. They also don’t have popular Thai dishes such as crispy pork which is a bummer. Wouldn’t go back in a hurry.

Reviewed 31 August 2018 via mobile

Stayed in the area for 5 days and ate at Wangthai twice. Ever meal was great and I loved the different soups I tried. They were spot on. You have a great view of the Nelson Mandela square. After eating all the food I walked off the calories in the mall.