“Sunday Lunch”

Swallows Inn Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #782 of 1 303 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 17 April 2016 via mobile

I went to Swallows Inn for the first time with my parents for Sunday Lunch on the 17th April 2016. The food was good, yet the ambience of the restaurant was actually not great at all and seemed very sloppy indeed. It did not personally give me the repuation of what a restaurant should be. If you go to a restaurant on the Island of Reunion then you will have an impression of what this restaurant is like.

It is rather old with plastic table clothes and just by the way our plastic table cloth had a hole in it.

It is however very, very chinese and the food is good. The restaurant is also not very big at all.

We had an array of three dishes:
1) Sizzling Beef
2) Cashew Nut Chicken
3) Sweet and Sour Prawn

And the Bok Choy with Garlic that was outstanding.

We had the dishes with the Special Fried Rice that was rather disappointing as it had too much egg and I am sure that it had pork and we do not eat pork so that was a bummer.

I personally would not rush back there myself. I would google other chinese restaurants and try them before going back to Swallows Inn Chinese Restaurant.

The Prawns, Chicken and Beef dishes and not forgetting the Spinich Bokchoy are however still very good indeed but not the image of the restaurant that was rather downtrodden and neglected.

Reviewed 21 January 2016

I was taken here for the first time with a fried, his mother brought him here for the first time about 35years ago, even though this is in old town Joburg, its worth the drive and adventure, They defnitly make the best Chinese in Joburg, dont be frightened off by the exterior, or the interior, they have come a long way and still here... there must be a reason! defnity a MUSt on my list.

Reviewed 12 August 2015

I have abounding fond memories feasting at this historical prominent restaurant growing up - celebrating birthdays, weddings and many, many family meals. The interior space and decor both upstairs and downstairs of the restaurant is very basic and dated. But let this not deter you from eating here. My all time go-to favourites: Crispy garlic and chilli calamari, wonton noodles and cashew nut chicken. Portions are enormous and great value on the pocket. Overall service is quick and efficient. Every year in celebrating Chinese New Year, they also provide a massive banquet at really good value. Early reservations is a must.

Reviewed 23 May 2015 via mobile

This traditional Chinese restaurant in old China town down town Johannesburg will remind you of the 1960 and 1970. The reasons are simple in that nothing has changed.

The quality of the food is true and original, the prices are very very cheep,

The sad reality is that life has moved on and that the restaurant is in need of a face flit . It is tired inside.

Reviewed 28 December 2012

We have been patronizing this restaurant since I was a child. I am now 33. The chicken and beef chow mein and chop suey are my favorite in the world. The sweet corn soup is marvellous. Everything is served quickly and efficiently.