Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
Free cancellation until 21/06/28
Booking.comUS$99
eDreamsUS$99
PricelineUS$99
All reviews swans and ducks beautiful venue an oasis shopping mall foxwoods garden suite tranquility rosebank guesthouse
Selected filters
Reviewed 28 March 2020

This is an oasis in the northern suburbs of Johannesburg. Prepare to relax and feel as if you are in a hotel that time left behind, a feeling of (if you like) being cast off from society in the peace and quiet of this large house (or small hotel) until you leave through the gates. Even the neighbourhood has a serenity and friendliness, tranquillity and peace.

I cannot overstate what a contrast this is to the hustle, bustle and frenetic city centre of Johannesburg only a few miles to the south. Foxwood House is situated in a leafy area of the city, with a shopping mall only minutes walk away, where you can eat or buy all manner of goods. The area is very safe and every day we walked the mile or two to Rosebank and the northern stop of the Hop On, Hop Off Bus. Every morning and afternoon we were greeted by the gardeners and security guards that worked in the neighbourhood along our journey.

Foxwood house and our room were just splendid. We stayed in the Pearl Oats Suite, which had a lovely, large balcony where we sat every afternoon. The room had a fridge, a cable television, a good size wardrobe, good wifi and tea & coffee making facilities. The bathroom was large and the water always hot.

The breakfast was cooked to order, tasty and plentiful. The staff were so very friendly and the grounds and house like something from a fairytale. Old, quaint, interesting, meandering, peaceful, beautiful, cool, picturesque and relaxing are words that come to mind.

We were alone when we wanted to be and the staff or owners were there when we needed them. When we left for the airport after spending four nights, we wondered if it would be possible to find anywhere like Foxwood House again. I doubt it. Try it and be prepared to let the place envelop you.

Room tip: I am sure all of the rooms would have their own quaintness.
Date of stay: March 2020
Pieter de Vos, Owner at Foxwood House, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2020

Thank you. In a time like this, your report touches us all deeply. The warmth and kindness of your words will carry us through a period of lockdown that challenges morale and the spirit of the staff and owners.
The trouble you have taken to write such a detailed account of Foxwood House and your stay with us is noted with gratitude and humility! Best wishes and rich blessings in a time of international stress - wherever you are now. May the road always rise to meet your feet!

Reviewed 12 February 2020

Very beautiful venue, old Victorian mansion, now guesthouse with a little theatre. Sadly Christmas lunch was not up to par but we have been invited back at no cost to apologize for the disappointment. I appreciate the gesture as this is the way to keep guests coming back. I have attended a theatre production and it was indeed lovely. I have not stayed as a guest in their rooms so am unable to comment on that.

1  Thank MariaS22411
foxwood13, Owner at Foxwood House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2020

Thank you for your kind response to our invitation back. It is heart warming.The impact of the constant power outages prompted our dear colleague Theresa to serve Methode Cap Classique as palliative to frayed nerves. When I spoke to you as you were leaving the bond of sympathy was almost tangible. I sadly realized you could not attend the repeat Christmas on the 26th as I looked out for you! Possibly I missed you? Warm regards and thank you for your thanks.

Reviewed 29 December 2019

My wife and I has a really nice stay for 5 days at Foxwood. We enjoyed the very relaxed atmosphere, kind hospitality and super service. What more do you want? I recommend Foxwood without any reservation.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
foxwood13, Owner at Foxwood House, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2019

Thank you. You have no idea how much your kind words mean to all of us. It is the most inspiring encouragement all of us can receive - your recognition of our service to give our visitors the best we can. A wonderful 2020 to you!

Reviewed 15 December 2019

This is the most wonderful, secluded, B&B in Johannesburg. The old house, forest-like gardens and swans and ducks on the pond, takes one back to a different era - one without hooting taxis and incessant city noise. But for those on a working visit or looking for entertainment, it's just a few minutes from Rosebank and the Johannesburg CBD. The staff are very friendly and really put themselves out to help with anything and everything. My absolute favourite place to stay in Johannesburg.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Pieter de Vos, Owner at Foxwood House, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2020

Dear Maureen
It is indeed my good fortune that I did not notice your wonderful review when it was submitted in December - as it is as welcome as a spring morning to see it for the first time now, during lockdown in Johannesburg! Thank you. I shall send it to all staff wherever they may found themselves now. Kind regards.

Reviewed 7 November 2019

I stayed at Foxwood 2 times at end the end of October and start of November and was very impressed by this wonderful place, the service and the friendly people at this hotel. Very recomendable! Thank you for the upgrade :-)

Date of stay: October 2019
foxwood13, Owner at Foxwood House, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2019

Thank you for your kind words. We were impressed with your courtesy. You do not have to thank us for the upgrade - it is the natural thing to do when you have a room open to make your guest's stay more comfortable.