Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
Trip.com
US$42
SAVE US$25
Expedia.comUS$67
eDreamsUS$67
Agoda.comUS$59
All reviews rooftop bar the ground floor room service easy access apartheid museum cbd security
Selected filters
Reviewed 14 March 2019 via mobile

Six business colleagues all checked in as we had a conference close by. We were sadly disappointed. The restaurant on the web has since closed down, the rooms are small, the carpet is dirty, the bedding wasn’t clean, the roof top bar was closed for a function. The website was truly misleading. We all checked out within 30 minutes and found another hotel. The staff we lovely, friendly, kind and apologetic for our experience. They were the best thing about this hotel. To avoid getting dismal reviews, they should be rated 2 or 3 stars, correct their website. There is a place for all hotels. I stay in many 4 star hotels and we checked into the courtyard hotel in Newtown and it is streaks ahead!

Date of stay: March 2019
Trip type: Travelled on business
Yashodhan A, Guest Relations Manager at The Reef Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2019

Dear Irene A,

It displeases me greatly to hear that your stay with us was so disappointing. We strive to achieve our service philosophy of exuding extensive amounts of positive energy and passion towards our GUESTS to ensure that their stay was nothing less than magical. I know that we do achieve this on many levels based on the volumes of positive comments and feedback we receive daily, many of which pay personal tribute to the waiter or receptionist who directly assisted them. I can understand that the décor and layout of the hotel is not to your liking as everyone has different tastes, they clearly did not resonate with you on and for that I truly apologise.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and to change your first impression of us and prove to you that we are truly passionate about our product and service offerings.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 4 March 2019

very exciting stay at the reef. we recieved excellent service & breakfast was very good.i will definately recommend my friends to stay at this hotel. they are very close to the city centre & other recreational facilities around johanesburg city centre.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Relax49324297022,

Thank you for the amazing review of your stay with us.

Your review has been shared with the TEAM so they can continue creating magic moments.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 4 March 2019

Really enjoyed my stay, although this was a business trip, it was value for money and the staff, all the staff, were extremely friendly and professional. Food was excellent. Close proximity to all my business needs.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Stay04414753652,

Thank you for the awesome review!

You need to come and visit us again.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 21 February 2019

The hotel was beautiful, rooms were spacious, clean and very nice. Location is very good and the hotel is secured 24/7 with security. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was buffet with a wide array of hot food.

Though there is truly nothing to dislike about the hotel, it is very important to be careful when strolling in the city centre of Johannesburg. It is not a safe place to be, high rate of theft and threats. Be careful. Hotel staff is always there to help and assist.

Room tip: Great hotel indeed!
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear JaunesseB,

Thank you for the very kind words with regards to our forever GUEST focus.

We are truly appreciative, of the fact that you took the time to communicate this to us. It really makes all the hard work and effort which my TEAM put in, all the more worth it.

We look forward to many more opportunities in the future to impress you.

Reviewed 13 February 2019 via mobile

I have not been more disappointed with a hotel management than with reef hotel. I booked this hotel having seen a few good reviews here. But my fiance was quite worried about the locality and safety from airport to the hotel. Since I booked this hotel from Make my trip and paid in full advance, I had a free cancelation window, so I thought I'll ask the hotel management about the airport shuttle transfer.
To my shock, they didn't reply for 5 days and the reply came on the day my free cancelation window expired. Now as a courtesy I'm asking them for a refund, for which they have not confirmed till now. I'm in a limbo to what to do. And they never reply on time. I've sent them 12 emails up till now. With no reply from their end

Date of stay: February 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Simar139,

Thank you for your honest review. Unfortunately the bookings done and paid through an online portal cannot be modified by the hotel.
I would like to make contact with you as I am uncomfortable leaving the situation as it is. When you have a moment, Kindly make contact with me on the below email.

I look forward to hearing from you.

yash@reefhotel.co.za