Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Tuckton C
Bournemouth, United Kingdom

A shock, but ultimately okay

Review of Hallmark House
4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 16 Mar 2024via mobile
An initial shock, but the hotel won us around: Upon collection at the airport the driver said “do you know the area where you are staying”?
The driver kindly drove us around the now defunct Central Business District (everything has now moved to upmarket Sandton). This was as bad a place as I have ever been and highly dangerous for tourists. We accepted we’d made a big mistake booking here. After four nights and becoming accustomed to Uber taxis we felt comfortable at the hotel which was definitely safe. The staff were amazing and so helpful. Rooms clean and presentable and VFM. The basement Jazz cafe was simply awesome but only opens from Thursday to Sunday: likewise the rooftop bar which we didn’t visit because there was a private function on. I would stay there again, but this time knowing what to expect and how to deal with the surroundings. No walking in the street - Uber everywhere.
Date of stay: March 2024
Room Tip: Set up an Uber account beforehand.
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
SUN1 BEREA EXTERIOR
    R 498
2.1 km from Hallmark House
View more hotels in Johannesburg
All reviews jazz club rooftop bar thoroughly enjoyed our stay hallway bed shower
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 March 2024 via mobile

My favourite hotel in the world. Great design - by David Adjaye and DJ/producer Black Coffee. Good friendly staff, rooftop bar, jazz club in the basement and ground floor restaurant. The barbershop is fab too and the massages are excellent. The hotel rooms occupy 2 of the 15 floors - most of the other floors are rented apartments to young Jozi creatives so you get an ever changing crowd in the bar, restaurant, foyer etc - makes it interesting. Good value too. It’s in a cool location but you’ll need to take cabs in the local area to be 100% safe. We did walk back one day from near Hillbrow as we couldn’t get a cab, and we were fine. Definitely don’t do that at night though.

Room tip: Wednesdays to Sundays are the best times to stay if you want to experience all the hotel bars and restaurants, also the massage and barbers
Date of stay: March 2024
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2024

Hallmark House, especially the rooftop is a much needed lookout point to see the city of Johannesburg from afar, while holding a drink in one hand and eating delicious tapas with the other.

They host parties here and a variety of events, but I like going there around sunset and watching the city lights turn on as the darkness descends on the city of gold.
Service is good, drinks are alright and barmen friendly. It is a vibe.

Date of stay: November 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank KimWindvogel
Reviewed 3 October 2023

i went there for my school project the security lady was rude...the receptionist was also rude we tried to ask question regarding the assignment she did not want to help I do not know if they treated us bad because we were students or what

Date of stay: October 2023
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 July 2023

Nice place but be careful! Staff lovely, rooms nice and great jazz bar. However, in a very unsafe area! On checking in I was told don’t go outside the hotel. I was there for the rugby and hotel arranged transport to take me there and back although it’s only minutes away. Their normal driver wasn’t available so they sorted a substitute. He dropped me off by a very unsafe area and had to walk through a tunnel. I questioned him but he insisted fine. He said he’s pick me up later from same spot. I refused and although he insisted I said no and arranged a different spot. Later when dark, he met as arranged but then walked me through a very unsafe area and then asked me to wait for him on a corner while he got the car! However, the car was nearer than the corner so I made him open the car and take me from there! I certainly felt he was setting me up to be alone! I have reported it to the hotel manager.

Room tip: Area very unsafe
Date of stay: July 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 23 July 2023 via mobile

I was attracted to this trendy hotel but was disappointed. The room was big but cold - the aircon was set at 30 but it didn’t seem to blast warm air and they had a convector heater in the room. The building was generally cold so after dinner I wanted to take a nice hot shower to warm up but the water was lukewarm. Next morning it was the same even leaving the shower on for a long time didn’t change things. But what was really annoying is that the TV came on several times during the night which I guess may have to do with load shedding. After the sixth time I unplugged it. Another minus for me is the set breakfast menus, I prefer to chose my own.

Date of stay: July 2023