Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Mari M
RALEIGH

A Stay at Protea Fire & Ice is Like a Stay with Family! So Much Fun!!

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 03 May 2024
I had the MOST amazing stay at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Johannesburg Melrose Arch. It felt like my home away from home and all of the staff felt like family. I had the smoothest check-in EVER thanks to Londiwe. She was SO welcoming, made me feel very appreciated as a Marriott Bonvoy member, and assured me she would be available for me throughout my stay. The room was beautifully appointed. I dined at the hotel restaurant my first night and received amazing service from Etwart and Busi. After 15 hours on a flight from the US and navigating customs, it was great to be greeted by beautiful smiles and warm energy at the hotel restaurant. the next day, I arrived at the breakfast area. Breakfast was phenomenal. I have a dairy-allergy. There were lots of fresh options available and the restaurant staff was more than willing to answer my questions regarding my dietary needs. I truly appreciated this. Each morning as I attended breakfast again, the team welcomed me with a bright smile, had my Americano ready, and continued to be attentive. The staff continued to make my stay feel easy and comfortable. One of the masterminds behind my AMAZING stay was Karabo. Karabo was always available to answer questions. He was very attentive and made me feel very welcomed. My checkout experience was a breeze thanks to Phemelo and Ntombi. I would also like to acknowledge Thamie, Abigail, And Gcina. There are really too many people to name. I have stayed at Marriott hotels all over the world and this experience was TOP-TIER all around! Being a solo traveler so far from home can feel intimidating. But staying at a hotel like this with such an excellent team, made a great trip PERFECT. On the last day, many of the staff came to wish me farewell and extend their wishes for safe travel. I am truly blessed. I have stayed at other hotels in Johannesburg before, but from here on out, I will ONLY be staying at the Protea Fire & Ice!!
Date of stay: April 2024
7.9 km from Protea Hotel Fire & Ice Johannesburg Melrose Arch
View more hotels in Johannesburg
Reviews (1 250)
1 250 results
All reviews milkshake bar melrose arch funky hotel gated area first floor restaurants and shops hotel is located safe location business trip south africa milkshakes shower security
Selected filters
1 - 6 of 1 250 reviews
Reviewed 6 January 2024 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel during a 2 night stay In Johannesburg before flying back home. It’s an easy 30 min ride from the airport and is located in a newer, safe, town-center type area with a mall, restaurants, and high-end shops just at the doorstep. I’m not sure if it was this hotel or just Johannesburg as compared to the other tourist destinations in South Africa, but the service was a bit lacking here. My husband is a platinum elite member and usually gets extra perks and great service but this was not the case. It may have been because we booked through a travel agency, but in any case, for a Marriott property, it was not the most welcoming. The property is very conveniently located with nice new-appearing rooms (although the shower is actually in the room as others said to save space most likely). The shower being in the room is separated by a curtain but could be awkward for travelers who are not couples. There is a nice pool as well. Overall, it worked fine for our short stay and we felt safe walking around but were advised by the hotel not to venture out as just outside the complex are some unsafe areas.

Room tip: Nice lounge areas
Date of stay: January 2024

Well established
Great breakfast
Love the milkshake bar
Lovely pool

Stayed a week with everything being amazing, great service from the front desk and house keeping, super comfortable beds, sound proof rooms.
Breakfast has great variety.
Comfortable surroundings and easily accessible to surrounding areas
We throughly enjoyed our stay, so much so that we stayed an extra week at the hotel after this stay.

Date of stay: December 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 November 2023

I only stayed one night and the room was comfortable and clean. However, I really despised the shower-in-the-bedroom situation. Firstly, I wish the room had an option of a bath or a shower (there was only a shower) and secondly, it is just a very weird set up being right next to the bed with just a curtain to separate. Shower floor is also really slippery and I almost fell twice. The décor is also a bit dated. Staff were very friendly and helpful though - couldn’t fault their service.

Date of stay: November 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 13 November 2023

Stayed two nights on a mother-daughter trip and had a great time. The location is excellent, in a nice gated area so felt safe walking around and there were tons of nice restaurants and shops around! The room was clean. Kinda weird with the shower outside the bathroom right next to one of our beds, only had a curtain to separate. The staff was all very helpful and friendly! The food was good- be sure to try the milkshakes!

Date of stay: November 2023
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Mpursel16
Reviewed 22 October 2023

Everything about our stay was amazing, the location, the staff and the food and who can forget the Grown up milkshakes. Thank you Raymond. The hotel has a great location with a shopping precinct on it's doorstep, multiple cafés and restaurants within minutes. Also the Joburg hop on hop off bus, stops just outside the hotel. A very comfortable stay, I just wish we had longer. I would definitely recommend this hotel too friends and family. In fact I have. I hope too return soon but in the meantime I would like to thank all of the staff at the hotel for for a lovely stay and a fantastic birthday. Thank you especially too Londiwe, Les, Aaron, Ewart, Raymond and not forgetting Mr.T. thank you all again

Room tip: Melrose Arch is a safe location, feel free to explore. Great bars and restaurants close by
Date of stay: September 2023