“Decent steak offering”

The Local Grill
Ranked #10 of 1 183 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Barbecue
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Best Steakhouse in South Africa awarded by The Wolftrap steakhouse championships. Offering kitchen tours and beef courses. Beef all aged on the premises and cut to order.
“Decent steak offering”
Reviewed 14 March 2017 via mobile

Lovely steaks and plenty of sides to choose from. Food was well prepared and delivered quickly by efficient staff.

Only drawback for me was the high prices of the wine.

Visited March 2017

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
“If you like steak this is a place to try out”
Reviewed 13 March 2017

It was my first visit to the Local Grill in Parktown. I would certainly go there again if I wanted to eat steak. A busy place with parking difficult to find. But once inside you will not regret it. If you are a first time visitor you would get a tour of the kitchen and cold room and an interesting lecture on how the steak is aged and prepared.

• Visited March 2017
Johannesburg, South Africa
“A Great Place for a Top Steak”
Reviewed 5 March 2017

The Local Grill is in Parktown North at the busy intersection of 3rd and 7th Avenues. I would certainly advise booking as the place was packed when we visited at 8pm on a Thursday evening. We were grateful we had booked and our table was ready and waiting. Service was brisk and friendly and despite the excellent wine list they were happy to accommodate us with the two bottles we had brought with us. There are options on the menu other than steak but meat is the reason for coming and they offer some of the best available, both grain fed and grass fed beef according to your preferences. The steaks arrived after not too long a wait despite the restaurant being so busy and the other three were delighted with their choices. Regrettably, although I had asked for my rump to be cooked medium rare arrived medium to well. One of the managers was at my table in an instant, confirmed that my steak had been overcooked, apologised profusely and whisked it away promising a perfect steak within 4 minutes. It duly arrived, perfectly cooked, 4 minutes later.

At the end of our meal we were invited by one of the managers to visit the kitchen and to step inside the cold room for a chat about where their meat comes from, the ageing process and storage. Very interesting. A great steak house and one I shall be visiting regularly.

• Visited March 2017
London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Shiraz ”
Reviewed 2 March 2017 via mobile

The Local Grill located on the corner of two streets has a lovely open feel about it. We shared starters and order a platter of grilled steak and chicken which was excellent. My host chose a Shiraz which I thought might be a bit overpowering but served slightly chilled it was beautiful!

Visited March 2017
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent meat, excellent service ”
Reviewed 25 February 2017 via mobile

Had a wonderful Friday night dinner here. Hadn't been in a while, and was reminded that I need to go back more often. We had the grassfed sirloin, prepared to perfection. Not many steakhouses in Joburg can get "medium rare" right. Great wine list and excellent service makes for a great dining experience.

Visited February 2017