Lowest prices for your stay
US$96
US$87
SAVE US$9
Hotels.com
Travelocity
Protea HotelsUS$89
Booking.comUS$88
getaroom.comUS$96
All reviews melrose arch cricket ground rosebank mall nice hotel room service smoking room reception staff sports club business trip free shuttle enjoyed my stay johannesburg protea desk gym suburb sa
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 February 2020 via mobile

I expected much more from Marriott hotel group.

The kettle in room does not work. Temporary restaurant in one of conference rooms does not make experience any better

While the Hotel offers free Wifi it is very unreliable and is not a secure connection even though they ask for room number and surname to verify when using WiFi in room.

While there is a "Conference" WiFi connection in make shift restaurant it does not have internet access.

I woke up sick with the effect of smoke smell in my room even though I asked for smoke free room.

Very view channels on room TV.

They "brag" about an apple in every room on notice board at reception - no fresh apple in my room - I was actually looking forward to it.

No shampoo in bathroom only soap and shower gel.

Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank MariusSchoeman
Wynand W, Rooms Division Manager at Protea Hotel Johannesburg Wanderers, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2020

Dear Mr. Schoeman,

Thank you for taking the review our hotel.

The fact that we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us is extremely saddening.

We are excited to announce that we are currently undergoing a full refurbishment, which is sure to resolve some of the issues you have raised.
Our brand new restaurant will be opening within the next few months, which is sure to enhance our GUESTS' experience.

As our hotel is a non-smoking hotel, we seldom receive complaints regarding smoke smells in the room - we will be reiterating the procedure to ensure that no other GUESTS are impacted by this.

I do hope that you will reach out to me directly, so that we may discuss this matter further and restore your faith in the Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Wanderers.

Wynand Wilters
Wynand.Wilters@proteahotels.com

Reviewed 20 February 2020

Hotel is under long renovation. a fact that was NOT mentioned on the chain's site.
the noise and smell of glue and other materials was very strong during my whole stay.

Hotel has a tiny swimming pool

As an elite member I was given a room facing the street, which meant non stop and loud noise from the street.

lousy breakfast

limited variety of television channels in the room, most of them sport channels.

room was very small.

the windows isolation was s bad that I have heard the wind blowing during most of my stay.

tiny shower in the room, veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy long time to get hot water

low value for money

Date of stay: January 2020
1  Thank olapidot1
Wynand W, Rooms Division Manager at Protea Hotel Johannesburg Wanderers, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2020

Dear olapidot1,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Wanderers.

It is saddening to hear that we did not live up to your expectations during your stay with us.

We are very happy to advise that our hotel is currently undergoing a full renovation, which is sure to address all of the concerns you have mentioned.

We have recently moved over to a new boiler system which provides hot water almost instantly - and I would like to find out which room you stayed in to conduct an investigation into this matter.

Please contact me directly at your convenience to discuss this.

Wynand Wilters

Rooms Division Manager
Wynand.wilters@proteahotels.com
011 770 5507

Reviewed 19 February 2020 via mobile

i ve stayed the last year then i would prefer second time. again? never ever. even comes to end of the world. how should i start hotel’s missing parts

1)hotel renovating and you can feel it during your stay
2)my room was at 2 floor i was use elevator but i juat can push 1floor button because 2rd one was not properly. Finally i found my way the kick the button then it works
3) my room was renovated but still there is some concrute parts on the bath
4)the room was renovate as per hotel commitment but there is some stuff still didnt. also all stuff was cheap.
5)i booked king size bed but they give me single bed . i learn this once i moved to my room
6)my room rate was include the breakfast but during the check in they told me that it is not including but they add the breakfast as a gift.
7)there is some one called me 3 times after arrive my room. i pick the phone but it is not working also. And there is one guy visit mu room and told me breakfast not including i have to pay for it ! damn it! i complain about my bed they told me they dont have the room. but it is not my problem. i ask breakfast and they gave a voucher to compansate this issue.
8)i was waited 10 min for coffee and 10 min for simply omlet also breakfast room was horribly smelling
9)during the check out i just ask the invoice but wait 10 min . there is another customers came to dest . they have gave them docs and check out but they hold me on there 10 min

never ever go there!

Trip type: Travelled on business
PHWanderers, Front Office Manager at Protea Hotel Johannesburg Wanderers, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2020

Dear 181retr,

We recognize your time is valuable and appreciate you for taking the time to provide us with you valued feedback on Trip Adviser

Every process put in place is aimed at providing you with an unforgettable hotel experience. From your feedback, I am disappointed to learn that we fell short of your expectations and on behalf of the entire team at the Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Wanderers, I sincerely apologize for falling short of not only meeting your expectations, but ours as well. As a teachable moment, we have shared your valued feedback with the appropriate hotel team to ensure the necessary guidelines are in place to prevent history from repeating itself.

With a strive to deliver a flawless guest experience, we would love to discuss your areas of concerns further. Whenever you have a moment, feel free to contact me directly at T: +27 (0) 11 770 5500 | E:ofentse.letsebe@proteahotels.com so that we can continue to improve our hotel operations.

Once again, thank you for providing feedback that will ultimately help improve our overall GUEST procedures and effectiveness. We look forward to hear from you.

Kind Regards,

Ofentse Letsebe
Front Office Manager
Protea Hotels by Marriott® Johannesburg Wanderers

Reviewed 18 February 2020

I'm not usually a fan of the Marriott Group, but this was better than expected. We were there for the cricket and the hotel is in the same complex as the cricket ground. The room was fine, but as ever with Marriott there were issues. When we arrived the computer system was down so they checked us in manually and sked us to come down later to finish the checking in. No big deal, except the same thing happened when we stayed at a Marriott in England. At breakfast we were accused of not being who we said we were because they had already ticked off someone against our room number. When we checked out they gave us someone else's bill. No big deal except that also happened the last time we stayed at a Marriott in England. There's a bit of a pattern here. The hotel is being refurbished, and it's no good telling existing guests that it will all be better in the future because we won't be there then. The banging above our heads started before 8 am. I haven't changed my mind about Marriott and I will avoid staying at one in the future.

Date of stay: February 2020
PHWanderers, Front Office Manager at Protea Hotel Johannesburg Wanderers, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2020

Good Day dianaen,

Providing the highest level of hospitality is our number one priority and On behalf of the entire team at the Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Wanderers, I sincerely apologize for falling short of not only meeting your expectations, but ours as well. As a teachable moment, we have shared your valued feedback with the appropriate hotel team to ensure the necessary guidelines are in place to prevent history from repeating itself. Training is an ongoing tool in our hotel and your valued feedback will be used as a reference with a strive to consistently deliver upon guest expectations.

Kind Regards,

Ofentse Letsebe
Front Office Manager
Protea Hotels by Marriott® Johannesburg Wanderers

Reviewed 16 February 2020 via mobile

Very convenient location near Wanderers cricket stadium. The facilities are good and the staff were friendly. It has a good bar area and a good restaurant. The breakfast was good value and the overall experience was good value for money.

Trip type: Travelled with friends