Lowest prices for your stay
Marriott Bonvoy member rate available
Ruan Brashaw
Midrand, South Africa

Below par service delivery

2.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 12 Feb 2019via mobile
Upon checking in it was requested that there be WIFI in our rooms of fairly decent quality. Not the case, there was no WiFi in the rooms, we proceeded to the reception to ask what was going on, the manager on duty said she will cal and let us know, if it’s still not working she will move us. Ended up having to be moved because of the poor WIFI in this hotel..

2nd issue, R205 for a dinner of a sub standard corner pub. Food did not smell not taste great at all, to the point where my colleague and I left dinner and went to eat somewhere else but still had to pay this ridiculous amount, dinner at a place in loch Logan for the 2 of us with much better food was about R320..

3rd issue, the rooms have 1 downlight in them making it always seem dark and dingy in the rooms, granted you have a bedside lamp, feel this was rather disappointing as you try work..not just the lighting issue, yea I know hotels you may sometimes hear your neighbors shower due to pipes etc, but to the the point where I was woken at 5:30 due to my neighbor showering and it sounded like someone was drilling, rather rude awakening if you ask me..

Last point for this review, on average it took 40 minutes to an hour to get 2 bottles of water, if they actually arrived, this was the case on a about 2/3 days where both my colleague and I would ask for water and not receive it and ask again for the water through physically asking the receptionist or calling them..not just that, walking into your room finding house keeping using your personal chargers and playing their music, or walking into your room whilst you working to clean or check on something.

Personally not the best experience at this hotel..
Date of stay: February 2019
Responded 19 Mar 2019
Dear RuzZaB5,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. We apologize for the delayed response. I am delighted to hear that you were happy with the overall look of the room.

We are extremely saddened by your feedback about your overall experience. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience that you experienced during your stay at the Protea Hotel Bloemfontein. I confirm therefore that your comments have been followed up with the Head of departments and their TEAMS and remedial action has been taken to ensure that our GUESTS are not inconvenienced in this way again.

We hope to have an opportunity to better your experience with us whenever your travels bring you back to Bloemfontein.

Protea Hotel by Marriott ® Bloemfontein
      R 1 300
    • eDreams
    1.4 km from Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein
    View more hotels in Bloemfontein
    All reviews rooms are clean en route security zoo establishment
    Selected filters
    Reviewed 7 February 2019

We had no problem in finding this hotel in Bloemfountein - and it is near the central facilities of the shopping centre and park which is a short walk away. The hotel is very functional and we found it good for an overnight stop where there was plenty of parking in the secured parking

Date of stay: November 2018
    • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
    Siphiwe M, Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2019

Dear GMH153,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor after your recent stay at the Protea Hotel by Marriott® Bloemfontein.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience that you experienced for finding the Hotel. Upholding our commitment to provide a memorable experience with exceptional service, we hope to have an opportunity to better your experience with us whenever your travels bring you back to Bloemfontein.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 30 January 2019 via mobile

I took my family for a hearty meal. We were welcomed by the friendly face of Thidiso and Anna.

We were gracefully shown to our reserved table and placed our orders.
    I ordered a steak, and to my surprise, it was cooked to perfection as a rare steak. Now that is very rare to find.

Big shout out to Chef Terrah and Chef Vincent for the wonderful meal.
    Lesego was very helpful and friendly in assisting me reprint my card from the front desk.
    Really great service from excellent staff!!
    Well done!! ☺️

Date of stay: January 2019
    Trip type: Travelled with family
    Siphiwe M, Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2019

Dear JD_vds7,

Thank you for the kind words about the restaurant and service received from Tshediso and Anna as well as the Chef's They will be delighted to hear this.

Upholding our commitment to provide a memorable experience with exceptional service, we hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back whenever your travels bring you back to Bloemfontein.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 26 December 2018

The hotel is placed at a very accessible place and has ample parking space. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Their rooms are also very clean and adequately spacious.
    The food menu is however very limited and on top their limited choice, some items may not even be in stock. There is a lot of room for improvement on the meals.

Date of stay: December 2018
    • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Isaacmarata,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to hear that the STAFF where friendly and helpful . Your commendations are highly valued, and I wish to assure you that we have congratulated the Housekeeping TEAM for doing such an outstanding job!

We are saddened by your feedback about your experience in the restaurant. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience that you experienced on your arrival. I confirm therefore that your comments have been followed up with the Food and Beverage manager and his TEAM and remedial action has been taken to ensure that our GUESTS are not inconvenienced in this way again.

We hope to have an opportunity to better your experience with us whenever your travels bring you back to Kimberley.

Protea Hotel by Marriott ® Bloemfontein

Reviewed 11 December 2018 via mobile

The hotel is highly accessible from the main road. The pool view is soothing and very refreshing. The menu, however, is completely not on. Keeping cold food in different workstations is so off. The breakfast menu standard is also below the belt, except for the mouthwatering fruits. Actually, the entire Protea hotels need to work so much on the menu, be it in-room or in the restaurant.

Date of stay: December 2018
    1  Thank Gugulethu M
    Siphiwe M, Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2018

Dear Gugulethu M

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

We are extremely saddened by your feedback about your experience in the restaurant with breakfast. I confirm therefore that your comments have been followed up with the Chef and the Food and Beverage Manager who joins me in not only offering our sincere apologies for the teams’ shortcomings, but our commitment to resolving these issues in order to improve the dining experience.

Although we fell short of meeting your expectations, I hope you will consider Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein on your next visit to Bloemfontein so that we can deliver on the GUEST experience you deserve.

Malefu Lebitso
    Front Office Manager

Reviewed 27 November 2018 via mobile

Slo I decided to chage from one Protea to another just to see and experience something else. Rooms are clean and spacious. Cant same the same for the small shower. Friendly staff do help and assist with great customer care. But I think waiting an hour and 20 minutes for dinner is too long. Breakfast selection could improve but otherwise food is good.

Date of stay: November 2018
    Trip type: Travelled on business
    Siphiwe M, Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2018

Dear Christel,

We are extremely saddened by your feedback about your experience with the room service order. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience that you experienced on your arrival. I confirm therefore that your comments have been followed up with the Food and Beverage manager and their TEAM and remedial action has been taken to ensure that our GUESTS are not inconvenienced in this way again.