Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Gugulethu M
Durban, South Africa

Accessible

3.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 11 Dec 2018via mobile
The hotel is highly accessible from the main road. The pool view is soothing and very refreshing. The menu, however, is completely not on. Keeping cold food in different workstations is so off. The breakfast menu standard is also below the belt, except for the mouthwatering fruits. Actually, the entire Protea hotels need to work so much on the menu, be it in-room or in the restaurant.
Date of stay: December 2018
Responded 12 Dec 2018
Dear Gugulethu M

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

We are extremely saddened by your feedback about your experience in the restaurant with breakfast. I confirm therefore that your comments have been followed up with the Chef and the Food and Beverage Manager who joins me in not only offering our sincere apologies for the teams’ shortcomings, but our commitment to resolving these issues in order to improve the dining experience.

Although we fell short of meeting your expectations, I hope you will consider Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein on your next visit to Bloemfontein so that we can deliver on the GUEST experience you deserve.

Malefu Lebitso
    R 1 017
2.9 km from Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein
Restaurant
View more hotels in Bloemfontein
All reviews rooms are clean en route security zoo establishment
Selected filters
Reviewed 27 November 2018 via mobile

Slo I decided to chage from one Protea to another just to see and experience something else. Rooms are clean and spacious. Cant same the same for the small shower. Friendly staff do help and assist with great customer care. But I think waiting an hour and 20 minutes for dinner is too long. Breakfast selection could improve but otherwise food is good.

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
Siphiwe M, Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2018

Dear Christel,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor after your recent stay at the Protea Hotel by Marriott® Bloemfontein.

Your commendations are highly valued, and I wish to assure you that we have congratulated the Housekeeping TEAM for doing such an outstanding job!

We are extremely saddened by your feedback about your experience with the room service order. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience that you experienced on your arrival. I confirm therefore that your comments have been followed up with the Food and Beverage manager and their TEAM and remedial action has been taken to ensure that our GUESTS are not inconvenienced in this way again.

We hope to have an opportunity to better your experience with us whenever your travels bring you back to Bloemfontein.

Elmarie de Villiers

Reviewed 3 October 2018

Normallly when booked in this hotel. i don't experienced glitches but this week services were suboptimal. You have to follow up staff to help you. They promise to come back to you but dololo. When i requested staff to lock up conference room when we went for lunch i was just told that nothing untoward has ever happened and they looked at me as if i was a nuisance. Internet connectivity was a bit of a challenge. The staff need to up their game in terms of conferencing and should allocate one person for that role. Limited food is prepared during lunch with only red meat available.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Tshepo M
Siphiwe M, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2018

Dear Tshepo M,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Protea Hotel by Marriott ® Bloemfontein. As we pride ourselves on delivering a memorable hotel experience during your travels, we have unfortunately fallen short of our goal during your recent stay.

We appreciate you bringing these shortcomings to our attention, both while you were here as well on TripAdvisor. On behalf of the MANAGEMENT and STAFF at Protea hotel by Marriott ® Bloemfontein, I would like to apologise most sincerely for your disappointing service experience
With a spirit to serve, we take great pride in not only meeting but exceeding your expectations. Your detailed feedback has been shared with our management TEAM.

Thank you for taking the time to report your constructive criticism as it is absolutely necessary for us to know how our GUESTS experience our service and facilities. We value your feedback as an extremely important tool in our day to day operations, as this helps us to improve your next stay.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 20 September 2018 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel with two other colleagues on a business trip. Service was excellent and the staff went above and beyond to arrange shipping of a box for us from Cape Town to Jhb that had been left behind in less than 18 hours! The room we used for our seminar was well equipped as well and heated on a very cold night. Thank you!

Date of stay: July 2018
4  Thank DianneStewart
Siphiwe M, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2018

Dear Dianne S,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to hear that enjoyed your stay at the Protea Hotel by Marriott . Your commendations are highly valued, and I wish to assure you that we have congratulated the TEAM for doing such an outstanding job!

We hope to have to welcome you back whenever your travels bring you back to Bloemfontein

Reviewed 6 August 2018

I usually stay at the Protea Hotel close to the zoo, but my office booked me at this Protea Hotel. Upon arrival, I was welcomed and greeted with friendly staff. This is a beautiful hotel, but I was quite disappointed with the quality of their food. I ordered an R148.00 filled chicken breast, only to get to dry chicken breasts stacked on each other with spinach and sundried tomato between them.... a chicken burger... for that price... For dinner, we ordered from the menu and didn't take the buffet option. Firstly our waiter was very unprofessional. Perhaps it was his first night on duty.. will give him the benefit of the doubt. Secondly, the food was overcooked and tasteless... For the price we paid and the quality of food received is unacceptable.
The room was very neat and tidy and the rest of the stay was pleasant.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank 806natashas
Siphiwe M, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2018

Dear Natasha S,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to hear that youwere welcomed and greeted nicely from our Reception STAFF. Your commendations are highly valued, and I wish to assure you that we have congratulated the Reception TEAM for doing such an outstanding job!

We are extremely saddened by your feedback about your experience in the restaurant. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience that you experienced on your arrival. I confirm therefore that your comments have been followed up with the Food and Beverage manager, the CHEF and his TEAM and remedial action has been taken to ensure that our GUESTS are not inconvenienced in this way again.

Reviewed 30 July 2018

I have stayed in this hotel about 10 - 15 times in the past few years. It was never so wow or that terrible that I had to post about it. I complained about two years ago to management about the poor quality of ribs we received for our room service dinner.

It all started with the check-in process. On arrival at reception I found two staff members behind the counter with one guest. Thodi came over to me to assist me and requested my surname. Maybe he did not hear properly and requested to "borrow" my ID or driver's license. Whilst he was busy with me he carried on a conversation in his own language with his colleague and the other guest they were checking in. The porter joined in from my left side and they were all talking loudly and I felt ignored as a guest.

Thodi found my reservation, handed me the registration form and in the process his pen fell to the ground. He picked it up and handed me the dirty pen which I refused. I used my own pen to sign the form.

He then insisted that I pay in advance for the room. I queried it and requested him to take a hold on my credit card as we might have dinner and breakfast and then I had to pay twice. When he heard dinner and breakfast he insisted that I had to pay in advance for this as well as his pay point does not have a hold facility. I told him that I am a loyalty member and that the hotel has a complete record of my details including my credit card. Eventually I had to pay in advance for my stay and the dinner.

I received my room key and noticed that I have been given the room the furthest away from reception on the 1st floor of the annex building. I enquired if he has read my requests when I made the booking online. He said no. I told him that due to a current medical condition, I have requested a ground floor room with extra pillows. Still he did nothing. I gained the impression that he did not know what I was talking about or that he has never been told that there is a section on the booking form where guests can make requests.

I told him that I was unhappy with his service and attitude towards me as a loyalty member of the Marriott group.

About ten minutes later his colleague and a lady arrived who enquired about my unhappiness with Thodi. We were then moved to a ground floor room and the extra pillows were provided.

Went to dinner at 19:20 and the restaurant had no seating except for a large 12 seater table. When I looked around I saw that there were two four seater tables with one diner each and another four seater table with two people. So clearly no seating planning/management. The 12 seater table could have been broken up into two or four seater tables. The buffet food looked very bland so we decided not to wait for a table and went next door to the Spur restaurant where we had a decent table and good food.

The next morning on checking out I was delayed as the lady at reception did not know how to refund me. She was eventually assisted by a colleague.

I will probably not stay here again. The Tsogo Sun just further down the road offers bigger rooms at a lower rate with complimentary breakfast.

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank knowtel
Siphiwe M, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2018

Dear Knowtel,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Protea Hotel by Marriott® Bloemfontein with us.

On behalf of the STAFF and MANAGEMENT at Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein I would like to apologize most sincerely for your experience with us. Your feedback has been shared with our TEAM and I wish to assure you that the necessary steps have been taken in ensuring this does not happen again.

Kind regards