“Saw lots of elephants”
Review of Alan Tours

Alan Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Alan Tours, based in the fun filled, coastal Holiday City of Port Elizabeth on the Sunshine Coast in the Eastern Cape is proud to promote South Africa, home to the Big 5 and Big 7 Safaris! A land with a unique natural, cultural and historical diversity, unsurpassed in the modern world today.
Reviewed 24 February 2018

I sat up front and Alan was taking pictures and with his body turned, my view was limited. He did not offer any to us free or for sale. Lunch was good. He would not let people eat in his truck because he didn't want to clean up. He provided water. He did not have power windows and mine needed repair.

wildguide, Owner at Alan Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2018

Dear Nothomemuch,
Thank you for your review, much appreciated.
I, we all take pictures while out on tour, it is a part of our commitment to you our guests to collect a montage of the pictures on any particular day and assuming that we have been granted permission by the persons in question, we post these pictures on our website after which we send a link to you, our guests. This gives you the option of sharing your experience with friends and family.
We insist that all of our guides do this as a service to you, our guests.
There are 8 seats in the Land cruiser station wagon, with one other couple on board for the day when I picked you up I opened the door, inviting you to join me in the front passenger seat. You had the choice at any time during the day to change to a window seat further back, at no time did you express the need to do this.
Yes, you are quite correct, I do not allow people to eat in the tour vehicles the reason being that we try to keep our tour vehicles in an acceptable state of cleanliness for all of our guests. Eating in the tour vehicles results in greasy food, sandwiches, chips, nuts and peanuts, cool drinks, coffee and tea. Hamburgers, biscuits and any amount of ice cream, yogurt, chocolate, sweets and other snacks being smeared all over the seats and seat covers, trampled into the floors, smeared over the windows and anywhere else people choose to leave their handiwork in the motor vehicle.
We have made the decision to limit eating in the tour vehicles in an effort to provide our guests with clean vehicles in which to get into at the start of their day or days with us. I apologise if I did not allow you to eat in the vehicle but we do allow for ample time for you to have your snacks at the start of the tour when we check in at the reception on arrival in the park. We provide time at the mid morning coffee break as well as at lunch time at the main camp on a full day safari.
I have to think about everyone choosing to book a tour with Alan Tours.They all, bar none want a clean vehicle in which to enjoy their tour. One of our founding principles is that a vehicle will NEVER leave on a tour without first being cleaned. I have never had a complaint about a dirty vehicle, never in 10 years of operation. This is also the first complaint I have had about not being allowed to eat in the tour vehicle.
Lastly, yes the Toyota Landcruiser does not have power control windows, It is a safari truck and is designed to spend prolonged periods of time in the bush, as maintenance free as possible, Power windows do not fit into this category. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the windows. Everyday, 7 days a week,at times, passengers use this vehicle, incidentally, the vehicle of choice of many of our passengers and everyone uses this window without mishap or complaint?

All reviews
"wonderful person"
"sharp eye"
"years experience"
in 2 reviews
"no hesitation in recommending"
"dung beetle"
in 4 reviews
"cape recife"
in 7 reviews
"interesting commentary"
"knew exactly where"

Reviewed 18 February 2018

Since we are traveling on a cruise ship we booked many tours ahead of time online. From the start of our communication with Alan Tours all aspects have been handled with professional friendliness and attention to detail.

Waiting for us as we left the ship was Alan Fogarty the owner/operator of Alan tours. From our first contact with Angelika of Alan Tours to our goodby at the pier we felt that we could not have had a better experience. Everything was perfect from our pick up to drop off. Alan was perhaps the best guide we may have ever been with. All of the city tour stops he planned for us were terrific, his knowledge of the history, culture and current political and economic situations was excellent. His manner of imparting the information was concise and engaging; Alan knows how to tell an interesting story.

We had a clean air conditioned van capable of holding 12 (we were a group of 10) and Alan’s English was excellent. We would give Alan Tours a 5 star plus rating and recommend his company to anyone.

Dear NewJerseyNomad,
What a wonderful review. Thank you for firstly booking your tour with Alan Tours and secondly for posting such a wonderfully positive review of the time we spent together.
I would like to mention here that guiding is a two way street. I and I am sure other guides are the same, feed off the energy that we are given from our audience, if the folk are attentive and obviously interested in what I am saying then I guess my confidence grows, my energy grows and I am able to deliver a better narrative with greater information, the opposite is also true, if my audience is distracted and appears uninterested then I too will tone down the delivery and resort to pointing out places of interest with less enthusiasm.
Your group were amazing, attentive and motivated to enjoy a subject they obviously relished. What a pleasure it was to be able to host and accompany such a pleasant and inspiring group of people around our friendly city, Port Elizabeth.
Thank you for your kind words, maybe one day you'll return to our wonderful country, all the best,

Reviewed 17 February 2018

When you book on the internet and are arriving by ship there is always the concern 'Are they going to be there?' With Alan Tours once booked you just don't have to worry. They will be there as they are an extremely professional organization. We were fortunate and were picked up by Alan himself and had his van to ourselves. This man is a walking encyclopedia of everything in nature. We went to the Addo Elephant Park approx 30 minutes from the cruise terminal and during the way Alan explains the various features along the coastline. All entry paperwork is handled and he makes sure you have made a bathroom break before you start! This is Mother Nature so nothing is guaranteed but Alan has an 'animal antenna' and seems to know not only where they will be but what direction they will take so you are positioned to see animals really close up. He is also in contact with other colleagues and therefore he is aware of where some of the animals are within this massive park. We saw many elephant and very close up, lions after a kill, warthog, buffalo and animals I've forgotten the name of. Lunch is included which is pleasant and there is a souvenir shop too. Alan picked us up from the ship at 10 and we were back by 7pm after a fantastic day out. His knowledge of everything around him is quite extraordinary and he was able to answer every (probably stupid) question we asked! If you are coming to PE and want a guaranteed excellent tour then Alans Tours are a huge recommendation and look at my profile, this is not my first review!

Hi KeithY651, Wow! wonderful. Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to write such a glowing review of the time we spent together.
It was a delight to hear your views on business and the promotion of business, your keen eye for detail and ability to identify an opportunity amazed me and your advice is as clear as if it was yesterday.
I clearly remember what you said and will give serious thought about what can be done in the future.Thank you for being so positive.

We are very fortunate to have such a brilliant wildlife facility on our doorstep in the form of the Addo Elephant national park, as you rightly point out it is a huge area, the third largest national park in South Africa and home to over 700 African Elephant and many many more interesting creatures so it is always a great help to be able to communicate with colleagues in an effort to maximise our time in the park with our guests and give them the best possible opportunities for the precious time they spend with us.
I will certainly keep your kind advise in mind when we start with our new product line.
Regards to your lovely lady and keep those trophies rolling in, you probably need a new house to accommodate them by now.
All the best

Reviewed 11 February 2018

Another wonderful day out with Alan, he covers everything from the animals, to bushes flora/butterflies/birds and dung beetles. Saw many different animals, hundreds of elephants with their babies, wart hogs and babies. No lions this year but a rhino and my husbands favourite animal, kudus. Hopefully we shall return.

Hi ellieSurrey and hubby, What a wonderful day with you once again, How many is it now? Certainly not enough. You are by far and away my longest supporting guests, Don't know how you do it but it is certainly appreciated. Thank you. Thank you also for contributing your precious time and efforts to assisting the not so fortunate people of Port Elizabeth with your contribution to Cricket and coaching the youngsters in the townships. You amaze me in your kindness and willingness to help without any thought of reward.
My favourites by far.

Please look after yourselves.
See you soon, all the best
Alan and Angelika