“Safari”
Review of Alan Tours

Alan Tours
Ranked #3 of 19 Tours in Port Elizabeth
More attraction details
Owner description: Alan Tours, based in the fun filled, coastal Holiday City of Port Elizabeth on the Sunshine Coast in the Eastern Cape is proud to promote South Africa, home to the Big 5 and Big 7 Safaris! A land with a unique natural, cultural and historical diversity, unsurpassed in the modern world today.
Reviewed 13 October 2017 via mobile

I live in the UK and booked this prior to my visit. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. As for Alan we couldn't have wished for a better guide he is so knowable and fun to be with which made our experience awesome.

Reviewed 30 September 2017

We recently returned to Port Elizabeth and after our favourable experience using Alan Tours in May 2016 we decided to rebook the half day Addo tour with Alan Tours this year. Again we were not disappointed. We thoroughly enjoyed our second trip to Addo. Alan himself is a font of knowledge and it was like meeting an old friend this time around. We would not hesitate to recommend Alan Tours and hope to return again in the future. Thank you Alan and staff for making our day so enjoyable again. Katherine and Francesco

wildguide, Owner at Alan Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2017

Hi Kathy, Francesco, Thank you so much for your kind words, your continued support and for taking the time to post such a favourable review on Tripadvisor. Angelika and I enjoyed your company and catching up over lunch. We hope the rest of your stay in our country lived up to expectations, I see that the weather was kind to you in Cape Town.
Greetings to Francesco, keep well and hopefully see you in the not too distant future.

All the best Alan and Angelika

Reviewed 27 September 2017

We had a great experience with Alan Tours. He was on time, picked us up at our hotel, and we had a great time in the park. He was knowledgeable, safe and so much fun. Highly recommended.

wildguide, Owner at Alan Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2017

Hi Tracey, family and friends,
Thank you so much for the wonderful review, every review is immensely important to us and we appreciate the time and trouble you went to, to post this positive commentary.
I really enjoyed your company and the little girls were so enthusiastic and fun to be with as was of course the cutest little cheetah who came along for the ride. We had a great sighting of dolphins, while the high light of the boat trip was the southern Right Whale right there in the entrance to the harbour. Bingo! Although we never did find the Lions in Addo on the day the Elephant, Buffalo and other creatures all put in a great appearance. Thank you for your kind support, all the best,
Alan Fogarty

Reviewed 13 September 2017

My husband and I have just returned from a month touring S.Africa, and to end our tour I booked an elephant tour to Addo with Alan Tours,being impressed with the numerous favourable reviews and I was not disappointed.
From booking the tour Angelika was very efficient and prompt with her e mails and quickly answered any queries I had.
On the day of the tour my husband was unwell so I went with Alan to Addo. His transport was extremely comfortable and not bumpy and being high up I could see everything. I was very impressed with his knowledge and what I learned from him about the animals.
He approached the park from a quieter end where he knew we would see animals, as well as having the park practically to ourselves. He advised me when to take shots for maximum effect and would turn the vehicle round to get the best shot. I was truely amazed by the sights and serenity of the park and animals. It was wonderful to see the elephants walking directly infront of the vehicle. We also saw Kudu, zebra, warthogs and others.
Included with the tour was a light lunch which was good.
I had a most enjoyable day to remember and the memories of Addo will stay with me forever. I would most certainly recommend Alan tours and hopefully sometime we will do another tour with you.
Thank you Alan for making this trip memorable.

Reviewed 30 August 2017

We did a tour with Alan at the end of June to Addo. He is a very rude and obnoxious person. When asked if he can stop for photo's we wanted to take he would always hurry us with we have to move along. When Alan wanted to take photo's he would sit forever.
He parked to close to an Elephant and when I asked him to please move he shouted at me to keep quiet because he knows what he is doing. The overall impression we got is that you are actually paying Alan for his photography albums. We would not recommend him at all.. Trudy and Debbie. Boksburg.

wildguide, Owner at Alan Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2017

Hi, thank you firstly for your support for Alan Tours and secondly for your trip Advisor review.
I am of course saddened by the negative response to what in retrospect was a wonderful day on the Big 7 tour you and your partner booked with Alan Tours both on the water and after lunch in the nearby Addo Elephant national Park.
I would like to point out that after a long time of not seeing many whales in Algoa bay, we decided to go deep on the day and it paid off handsomely. Along the Port Elizabeth shore line we came across a large school of two possibly 300 hundred Bottlenose dolphins, who afforded us relaxed close up viewing before we continued passed the clearly visible Cape Recife lighthouse into deeper waters and the migratory route of large numbers of Humpback whales making their way to the calving and breeding grounds in the warmer waters to the north of us. It was in these deeper waters that we had the opportunity to view some superb Albatross flying close to the boat.
There were so many Humpback Whales that all we had to do was to wait for them to swim up to and passed the boat. We saw them breaching further out and made our way closer to these behemoths as these 40 ton gentle giants breached clear of the water to land back in spectacular fashion to begin the process again. WOW even the boat crew were awestruck by the amazing display so close to the boat. What incredible sightings but I don’t believe you were very interested at all due in part to you being sea sick,” feeding the fish as you put it.”
We made our way back to the harbour coming across the pod of dolphins for a second time before heading to the local restaurant in the yacht club for a wonderful meal. Yes, I do push the lunch break as we were running late after a spectacular morning on the water. I do this to maximise the time in the Addo Park. On entering the park at approximately 2.15 PM we saw a number of small herds of Elephant and some lone Buffalo amongst the usual herds of Zebra, Red Hartebeest and a special sighting of Eland in the late afternoon winter sunshine.
It was on the 27th June when we did this trip, approximately 6 days from the shortest day of the calendar year, IE Mid-winter. The Park closes its gates at 5.30 in the afternoon. This leaves us with very little time to get to view as much as possible so yes we do push ourselves to get to see as much as possible. Can you imagine the outcry if we didn’t?
You labour the point that I take photographs? I do, on the day in question I took both video footage as well as still photographs. We do this with the express purpose to share these photographs with you, our guests. Unfortunately your booking came in at the last moment when you contacted us the previous day from your hotel so we never did get to interact with you by e-mail and we never did get your e-mail address or else we would have shared some of the better pictures with you, including some of the whale breaching sequences you missed. In fact if you would like to forward to us your e-mail address we will l send you some great pics. So the photography is not a selfish exercise as you would like the public to believe but an attempt to share the sightings of the day with you as we do with so many of our really well satisfied guests.
And lastly the issue with the elephant: Here you say that I stopped too close to the elephant! This is not true. This is a statement which indicates that you know what is too close to or not too close to the elephant and not the person you have contracted to guide you through the park. Here you are the expert telling me what I should do or not do.
I stopped near the elephant in anticipation that the animal would approach us in its own good time something we do every day in Addo. If you call, me trying to control your behaviour in close proximity to an elephant shouting at you then well and good but hysterical behaviour in close proximity to an elephant that is entirely at peace with its surroundings including my vehicle can have the effect of making the animal nervous and unsure of itself purely by behaviour displayed by someone in the vehicle. After I told you to control yourself, you did just that and the elephant was happy and you and your partner would have been if you would allow me to conduct the tour as I see fit with the placid nature of the animals in the Addo Elephant National Park.
I apologies for the long winded reply to your negative review but I find it unfortunate that you choose to highlight the negative aspects of the tour you did with me, I am not going to change that but I would like you and the public who read this reply to try and understand more fully the circumstance under which we operate.
Alan Fogarty