“The most horrible experience ever..”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grahamstown
Lanherne Guest House
Ranked #31 of 43 Grahamstown B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

We were in Grahamstown for the first time attending the Last weekend of the Arts Festival. We met withDumisani and he took us to another shabby establishment a little further than the main guesthouse. When we made our booking, we were not told that we will be taken to another place different to what saw on the website. When we got there, the room was still being cleaned and we were told to wait a little. The bed had no bedside tables nor a headboard, the room had no chairs or couches. When we raised issue with the set up, we were give 2 plastic chairs.

We immediately told Dumisani that we are not happy thus far and would would prefer to leave and asked for our refund( we had prepaid the full amount in advance). He told us that that we are free to go and will not give be giving us a refund. When questioned the refund policy and asked for the owner, he said he’s one of the owners and there was no one else that can talk to us. He said we must tell him within 10mins whether we are staying or leaving as he has other people waiting and willing to take up the space.

After exhausting all possibilities to get alternative accomodation in Grahamstown , we ended up staying. Long story short, we will never stay here again, and this was extremely poor customer service.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 April 2017 via mobile

We were met by Dumisane who was very helpful. Our room met our expectations and the house was very comfortable to use as a base while my daughter played in the local sports competition. We would book here again based on our experience.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 July 2016

With reference to Silliusmillius53 I could not disagree more. I am sure he/she has got confused. I have stayed at Lanherne on numerous occasions and in different rooms each time. Staff? Fantastic, Dumasani is the friendliest most helpful manager I have ever met. You want to know where to eat or visit in Grahamstown ask him. Food, a super breakfast of your choice, most B+B's I have stayed at I did not get a chance to have preferences for breakfast. Lots of hot water and electricity. The electricity notices in the rooms are just a reminder of the Eskom requests which are in the interests of the country. When Grahamstown is without water or electricity, which is frequent this B+B will have both in abundance. Borehole and generator. I never struggled for parking even during Festival when they are full for the full 11 days. If silliusmillius53 has special requests then he/she should do their own bookings themselves and request a full bathroom, bigger room with large tables to accommodate the equipment they travel with which is abnormal. Most people may travel with a laptop not a setup with 2 monitors. As for the coffee, great for me but we all have different tastes, it is like someone who is used to the power of a Ferrari, being given an ordinary car to drive. The same with coffee, an establishment like this cannot serve the strongest or the weakest coffee, they cater for the majority. In conclusion I would like to say that I have travelled extensively too, and have stayed in many different types of accommodation. When reviewing an establishment you need to be very careful being hyper critical about small things. If you had NO water then complain, if you became ill because of the coffee, then complain, if your room was filthy and you had bugs in the bed then complain. You also have the choice of moving elsewhere yet you stayed 6 days. A lot of small towns have B+B's started out of necessity, no hotels or people trying to make a living. Reckless criticism is not nice and it is not nice to splash it out on a medium like this. Direct contact with the owner would be the way to go, remember too that we all have bad days so maybe silliusmillius53 had a bad week.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank petergF1666WN
Reviewed 15 July 2016

I absolutely loved staying at Lanherne Guest House. Have stayed there several times and I can highly recommend this Guest House. The staff are amazing and made me feel most welcome with their warmth and friendliness. They saw to all my needs and served the most amazing breakfast. The rooms are very homely and comfortable with heaters and lovely size bathrooms with tv and electric blankets including winter sheets. The Guest House offers secure parking and the garden that surrounds the Guest House is absolutely stunning with so much birdlife for those who want to just sit outside on the lovely benches and watch the birds. Saw the Knysna Loerie, Cape Robin, Thrush just to mention a few.
I will definitely be back.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 May 2016

We spent the night at Laherne Guest house to be with our son attending the Kingswood matric dance . We found five star comfort , a great breakfast and service. Secure off street parking .The rooms were comfortable and warm ,it was very cold and an extra bed was made for our son .I would recommend this Guest house to anyone

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family