“Comfortable accommodation in the thick of things”
Review of Courtlands

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grahamstown
Ranked #18 of 43 Grahamstown B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 July 2016

I stayed at this delightful place for the first 5 nights of the 2016 Festival at R1200 per night (bed only with some breakfast dry supplies). It should not really be called a "B&B" because that raises the expectation of a cooked, served breakfast every morning as part of the deal. It is really self- catering accommodation. I had a lovely cottage which, although situated just behind the Rat and Parrot on New/Allen Streets, is as quiet as can be. Two large rooms, one a lounge and dining room which I hardly used, the other a bedroom. TV seemed confined to 2 or 3 channels but I did not really need it. Small kitchen also well appointed. The bed was very solid and comfortable and the bathroom adequate. There was a pretty garden/courtyard in front of my door and safe parking. The accommodation is within walking distance of all the main attractions - shops, restaurants and many venues. The only improvements I would make (aside from the name change) would be to install an electric blanket, or a more effective fin/oil heater for winter usage. A "sausage dog" door stopper would also help keep out the cold wind. But these are only quibbles. Thank you, Jo & Mike.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo

Reviewed 15 June 2016 via mobile

I had a very pleasant stay at Courtlands when I dropped by Grahamstown. The owner Mike is a very kind and helpful host. I stayed in a spacious en suite room with a mini kitchen (with cereal, rusks, coffee, tea and a five litre container of mineral water all provided) overlooking a lovely little garden courtyard with different trees all planted by Mike himself who is also a talented and keen gardener. Very good value for money too. Highly recommended

Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 February 2016

My husband and I passed through Grahamstown during a two-month tour of South Africa. We chose to stay at Courtlands due to: it easy-walk proximity to town centre; reasonable rates; free Wi-Fi; and secure parking.

Yes, we did receive all of the above. And so much more!

Jo and Mike were fantastic hosts, even if we only saw them briefly during our short stay. They were warm and friendly and eager to make our stay pleasant.

Our garden cottage was clean and VERY spacious, with separate bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, and TV/living room. It included a section with brochures and maps to help you plan your stay in Grahamstown. Milk, cereals, rusks etc are provided in your kitchen for a self-help breakfast (also all cutlery or crocery), or simply make use of fridge and microwave. For dinner you simply need to walk next door to a pub or across the road for an excellent tapas bar.

Wi-Fi was accessible throughout our cottage and of good quality.

You receive a remote allowing you access to private and gated parking off the street, where your car is parked only a few meters away from your cottage entrance (no messing around with stairs!).

The garden courtyard is well maintained an a lovely tranquil backdrop.

Probably the best value for money you will get so close to town centre.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AmazonLodge
Reviewed 21 August 2015

Jo and Mike are two of the most kind-hearted and warmest people I've ever come across, and staying at their guesthouse was an absolute pleasure. The unit I stayed in was spacious, clean, comfortable, and had everything I could possibly need and want, with quality bedding to ensure I had a great night's sleep every-night. It is also very centrally located and walking distance from just about everything. I highly recommend staying here if you ever find yourself in town.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank TheBearMeyers
Reviewed 9 July 2015

We arrived for the festival this year (2015) to find this lovely little haven in the middle of Grahamstown. Situated in New Street, Courtlands B&B offered up a private little garden to relax in, with the rooms themselves being bright, clean and well-maintained. The area of the rooms was also much larger than expected, giving my partner and I ample room for our things, without it feeling crowded.

The hostess (known to us as Jo) was an amazingly sweet woman who made sure that we felt right at home (the added laundry service helped too!).

Overall we will DEFINITELY be visiting here again in the future, if only to just enjoy this little oasis once more.

Room Tip: Book the Garden Cottage to get full use of the beautiful courtyard. The Courtyard Cottage is best f...