The Cock House
US$103
Graham Hotel(Grahamstown)(Great Value!)
  • Restaurant
US$94
11 Worcester on Durban(Grahamstown)(Great Value!)
US$95
US$78
Jenny's Guest House(Grahamstown)(Great Value!)
US$78
  • Breakfast included
US$883
US$761
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 26 June 2017 via mobile

3 nights in June 2017 pre paid. A return nostalgic visit, totally disappointed.
Proprietor is clearly not interested or invested in maintaining high standards to this guest establishment or for the lack of hospitality skills from his staff.
It all shows by the shabbiness, run down and dinginess of this nostalgic building.
Towels are thread bear. The drapery, carpets and furnishings are filthy. Grouting in the shower is equally filthy.
Intermittent Wifi in bedrooms.
No safe.
I do not recommend staying here, ever!
‍ I do applaud the Chef's cooking.

Stayed: June 2017
Reviewed 17 March 2017

We've been making annual visits for some years but are unlikely to do so again - sadly. We arrived 2.30 pm; shortage of sheets, pillowcases and towels so no rest possible after long drive; OK by 4.45 pm, delay due to absence of any spare linen which was still at the laundry, then ironing it, and so on. How can a hotel not have spare linen? Incompetent or insolvent? Avoid Room 9 which smells of damp - take one look at the stained and blistering paint on the walls. Wifi only around Reception, not in room. Bedroom light not working. TV not working. Hair dryer plug doesn't fit wall socket. Breakfast good, and Yvonne, the new manageress, excellent, but definitely not worth the prices asked.

Stayed: March 2017
Reviewed 24 January 2017 via mobile

The Cock House is a colonial style guest house and the staff are friendly and so polite and accommodating. I ate at the restaurant on the property, (Nordens) and I can honestly say that the food was delicious!! I would gladly come back here when I had business in Grahamstown!

Stayed: January 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 January 2017

My sister, her fiancé and myself recently did a roadtrip to the Eastern Cape from KZN for a wedding and decided to check out Grahamstown. Knowing it's predominantly a University Town we didn't expect a big vibe, but my goodness did we pick a really terrible time. On a Sunday, during university holidays, and in the new year there is absolutely NOTHING happening. Rookie error. Having decided to visit the restaurant at The Cock House for dinner before this discovery we ended up arriving about 2 hours earlier than our table reservation due to pure boredom. Best decision of the day. The staff were incredibly accommodating!!! We wanted to treat ourselves to a 3 course meal after roughing it for the past couple of nights, and man was it worth it! The food was incredible and for what we got a steal. We may have been the only patrons there that evening but it was actually really nice. We'll definitely be going back there should we decide to make the journey again!

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank CarissaSch
Reviewed 24 August 2016

We are old St Andrews College and Rhodes University parents .. expat Bahrain now Dubai. . Every time we come out to SA / Grahamstown we stay at Cockhouse. .. we have had some very special times there .. school functions, my daughters lay over after her 21st... booked out half of the Cockhouse for all our visors. .Staff been amazing .. special Michelle and Riaan.... KITCHEN Staff best cook ever... restaurant staff very helpful. .
I SADLY HAVE TO REPORT TO TRIPADVISOR. ...this year 2016 my visit 2 nights at Cockhouse was not the same ... our room no.2 was badly care for...all the old staff gone. .. room rates was far over price and service from main desk was very unfriendly... I did not feel love I come home love I have for the last 5 years... sadly I use say if I ever return back to my beloved South Africa / Grahamstown I will look for new accommodation. .. very sad ...

Room Tip: Only room 6
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family