See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 17 March 2017

We've been making annual visits for some years but are unlikely to do so again - sadly. We arrived 2.30 pm; shortage of sheets, pillowcases and towels so no rest possible after long drive; OK by 4.45 pm, delay due to absence of any spare linen which was still at the laundry, then ironing it, and so on. How can a hotel not have spare linen? Incompetent or insolvent? Avoid Room 9 which smells of damp - take one look at the stained and blistering paint on the walls. Wifi only around Reception, not in room. Bedroom light not working. TV not working. Hair dryer plug doesn't fit wall socket. Breakfast good, and Yvonne, the new manageress, excellent, but definitely not worth the prices asked.

Stayed: March 2017
476chantals, Guest Relations Manager at The Cock House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2018

Dear Portway,

Thank you for your review. We apologise that you had such a bad experience at The Cockhouse Guesthouse.

I would like to advise that The Cockhouse Guesthouse is under new management and we are working very hard to get to our former glory.

9 of our rooms have been upgraded and we are currently busy with the rest of the rooms. All our towels and linen are new and have enough stock.

We are currently working on getting the Wifi working through out the guesthouse, this should be fixed by the end of the month.

We are putting a lot of energy into the maintenance of the establishment.

Please do pay us a visit again when you have the chance.

Thanking you
Chantal

Reviewed 24 January 2017 via mobile

The Cock House is a colonial style guest house and the staff are friendly and so polite and accommodating. I ate at the restaurant on the property, (Nordens) and I can honestly say that the food was delicious!! I would gladly come back here when I had business in Grahamstown!

Stayed: January 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 January 2017

My sister, her fiancé and myself recently did a roadtrip to the Eastern Cape from KZN for a wedding and decided to check out Grahamstown. Knowing it's predominantly a University Town we didn't expect a big vibe, but my goodness did we pick a really terrible time. On a Sunday, during university holidays, and in the new year there is absolutely NOTHING happening. Rookie error. Having decided to visit the restaurant at The Cock House for dinner before this discovery we ended up arriving about 2 hours earlier than our table reservation due to pure boredom. Best decision of the day. The staff were incredibly accommodating!!! We wanted to treat ourselves to a 3 course meal after roughing it for the past couple of nights, and man was it worth it! The food was incredible and for what we got a steal. We may have been the only patrons there that evening but it was actually really nice. We'll definitely be going back there should we decide to make the journey again!

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank CarissaSch
Reviewed 24 August 2016

We are old St Andrews College and Rhodes University parents .. expat Bahrain now Dubai. . Every time we come out to SA / Grahamstown we stay at Cockhouse. .. we have had some very special times there .. school functions, my daughters lay over after her 21st... booked out half of the Cockhouse for all our visors. .Staff been amazing .. special Michelle and Riaan.... KITCHEN Staff best cook ever... restaurant staff very helpful. .
I SADLY HAVE TO REPORT TO TRIPADVISOR. ...this year 2016 my visit 2 nights at Cockhouse was not the same ... our room no.2 was badly care for...all the old staff gone. .. room rates was far over price and service from main desk was very unfriendly... I did not feel love I come home love I have for the last 5 years... sadly I use say if I ever return back to my beloved South Africa / Grahamstown I will look for new accommodation. .. very sad ...

Room Tip: Only room 6
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank 404Charmain

Dear 404Charmain,

Thank you for your review. We apologise that you had such a bad experience at The Cock House Guesthouse.

I would like to advise that The Cock House Guesthouse is under new management and we are working very hard to get to our former glory.

9 of our rooms have been upgraded and we are currently busy with the rest of the rooms. All our towels and linen in stock are new.

We are putting a lot of energy into the maintenance of the establishment.

Please do pay us a visit again when you have the chance.

Thanking you
Chantal

Reviewed 16 July 2016 via mobile

We first got a flat for 5 persons, wich was not that great. It was located close to the street, so there was a lot of sound and the interior wasn't that clean too. But in the evening we could switch to 3 rooms for 2 persons each and these were much better. It was much cleaner, much more peaceful. The diner in the restaurant was amazing and very tasty.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family