“Beyond My Expectation”

Maitai Polynesia Bora Bora
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Reviewed 15 January 2018

I decided to give it a try because of a friend's referral. I stayed in a ocean view room for five nights in the second week of January, 2018.
Pros.
1. Room is very clean and a pretty good size. Because the building is on a hill so the view is spectacular, the colors of the water and beautiful sunrise every morning, enjoyed all these just from my room. The room was decorated pretty, the pictures posted on the hotel's website is not oversaturated.
2. Good location. Only take me about 15 minutes to kayak to Aquarium Garden by the Sofitel Private Island for snorkeling. Also about 15 minutes kayak to the best beach by InterContinental Hotel.
3. Convenient location. Two small markets and Avis car rental are located within 3 to 5 minutes walking distance.
4. Hotel staffs were very friendly, nice and helpful. I booked my activities through tripadviser.com , but I had to contact the tour company to arrange a hotel pick up . Hotel staff made calls and arranged the pick up for me. Also I was stayed in another hotel after I checked out from Maitai, the hotel staff help me a lot and made this transfer smoothly. I can't thanks them enough.

Cons.
No WiFi in rooms nor in hotel restaurants. I have to go to the hotel lobby area to use the Wi-Fi. I got mosquito bites every time when I was in the lobby area. Because the hotel lobby is open aired, no walls, only roof , same is restaurant.

Suggestions : Almost of the activities in Bora-Bora are in the water, but there was no rod nor hanger to hang wet swim wear in the hotel room. I hope hotel have a rod and some hangers in shower room.

There is a boat from Bora Bora Airport to Vaitape, free of charge. Hotel sent a vehicle to pick me up from Vaitape, charged me 1413xpf per person one way. I found out the charges on the last day when I checked out the hotel. The bad feeling was the vehicle was so beat up, The leather seats were teared up and the door cannot completely closed. I felt I was mistreated by the hotel.

I still gave this hotel five stars, because I felt this minor things won't cost them one star.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
8  Thank FalaCool
Write a ReviewReviews (1 190)

6 - 10 of 1 190 reviews

Reviewed 7 January 2018 via mobile

We enjoyed a lovely 2 night stay at MaiTai - staying a bungalow on the water. The hotel picked us at the dock after the boat trip from the airport and we were quickly in our room. The beach restaurant was good but the breakfast was alas poor. It was a lovely room, with a great view and beautiful to sit out at night. The hotel served as a great bases to see BoraBora by bicycle and by boat - we visited the other resorts too !! The staff we nice and friendly - a great place to stay.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anthony B
Reviewed 7 January 2018

We stayed at Maitai just after Christmas and over New Year's...
The Pros - Beach restaurant was great food with great service, the sealife was UNREAL- I jumped in the water to video a female spotted eagle ray followed by 7 males right before a dinner reservation (couldn't help it!), many sting rays, many fish, all from a reasonably-priced bungalow. Could see the fish through the coffee table and even better when lit at night. Front desk staff was friendly and helpful. Loved the ease of the check-in process (Sit on some couches with some tropical juice and relax)
The Cons- The breakfast while okay was the same daily and the eggs left something to be desired. No Wifi that functions well enough for a phone call !?!?! With these two tweaks, this place would be golden. (Go to Lucky House or Intercontinental to eat for better internet if you opt to stay here and need it)
I should note too that the bungalow was a bit worn and some folks may not care for (needed new shower head, stairs to ocean from bungalow needed a hammer and nail, etc) but it's the tropics and I'd so prefer that over spending tons of money.

Room Tip: Bungalows are in relatively shallow water. We were in 3 and you can swim/walk to sandy beach or sno...
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Sarah G
Reviewed 19 December 2017 via mobile

We were looking for privacy to veg and snorkel right off the hut into the water, without over spending. Mai Tai was perfect. No spa, no pool, no room internet, no problem (saved us thousands for our 7 days and no stuffy fluff humans) all the rooms have a refrigerator! They have two Great restaurants. $20 buys you enough dinner for two at the lower beach restaurant. I DO recommend the $30 breakfast buffet. It paid off because we could eat hearty (free internet in lobby so all posting was done at bfast) and play through lunch on snacks. Shop for snacks water and booze at two local stores both easy walk from hotel. 2 min to left or 5 min to right (bigger store less $) also Don’t miss a GIANT steak dinner $29 and wood fired 10” pizza for $15 at “Lucky House” you will eat it the next day for lunch! Stop at the 1st Maitera Beach snack hut (both less than 10 min walk from MaiTai ) great eats for less. The Best raw fish in coconut dish for the price... and a stunning view of the mantas gliding around ... bring snorkel & a big floatie, because you never want to come out of this water. And for swimming with the sharks and mantas (a MUST) - go with “Moana Adventures” ask for Malakai! Best guide ever! And a hell of a crooner.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
7  Thank hapetrvlr
Reviewed 15 December 2017 via mobile

The pros: cheap, near the water , food is close. Cons: no internet in rooms, rooms are plane and blah. This place is fine if your on a budget but don’t get your hopes up. Not having internet in the rooms is inexcusable this day and age.

Stayed: December 2017