“Make your heart smile”
Review of Ascending Path

Ascending Path
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Visit and experience a unique Alaskan wilderness on our authentic glacier adventures. Within an hour of Anchorage we can have you on a glacier, and enjoying real Alaska on a spectacular guided hike. An amazing train ride gets us to the Spencer Whistle Stop which offers excellent Iceberg viewing and Glacier hiking. Your family can even paddle a Tandem Sea Kayak past icebergs to climb on the Spencer Glacier itself.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 28 June 2018

My husband and I did the kayaking, glacier hike and ice climb excursion. We had some interesting weather, which added to the adventure. Mother nature at her best! Benny was our guide and he was wonderful. After battling winds and rain to cross Spencer Lake, we made it to the glacier, there were 5 in our group including the guide. We hiked to this protected from the wind area to climb and Benny was very accommodating, with me asking to climb (3) different climbs in the same area(little variety). Benny was very positive and safety aware throughout the adventure. When we hiked out he brought us a different way, which was amazing and ended up in an ice cave. We had a little extra time, so Benny guided us in our kayaks, though all the broken off little ice berg, which formed a maze. It was so peaceful and beautiful. Benny was an exceptional guide and I believe the guide can make or break an outing. Benny, you ROCK!!! thanks for a great day on the ice and water. Tell Steven he drove the bus like a boss and was super nice.

All reviews
in 3 reviews
"his craft"
"super friendly"

Reviewed 28 June 2018

My boyfriend and I traveled from Louisiana to Anchorage for vacation last week and had been planning this Spencer Glacier Hike for a few months. The morning of the trip we boarded a train and took an awesome scenic ride along the Turnagain Arm. We arrived at Portage, had a slightly mediocre lunch but honestly I didn't care about the food, it was good enough for me. We met our guides- Riley, Benny, and Matty who were 1) super accommodating and 2) extremely entertaining. We kayaked kind of quickly to the glacier since we were behind on time, geared up and headed to the glacier. Our group was in pretty good shaped and up for an adventure so Mattie and Benny took us along a new and slightly more challenging route but it was awesome and I still felt safe with them. Hiking up in crampons is a phenomenal workout. I wanted to see an ice cave so we hiked across to the other side of the glacier to see the remnants of a collapsed cave, but they suggested we not venture into one because they are pretty volatile and unpredictable. The guides were very goofy and fun to be with the whole time. On the kayak back, a couple of us were way ahead of the group and Benny led us through a giant maze of ice bergs which made for great photos! Once back on dry land we put up our gear, got a couple snack bars and checked out the glacier one last time from shore before headed back onto the train. Even on the train the guides helped to make sure we were seated for dinner. Matt hung out with my boyfriend and I while we waited for a table before he got off at their stop. Overall I'd say it was well worth the money (around $400 with a tip) and an experience I will literally never forget. Glacier hiking has been on my bucket list for years and I'm so glad I had this experience. I would definitely suggest purchasing travel insurance though in case you get sick or can't make the trip because the refund policy is very strict. I almost couldn't make it and freaked out, but it all worked out. GET INSURANCE!! It'll be worth the peace of mind.

Reviewed 27 June 2018

If you only have one day to play in the outdoors near Anchorage, this trip is a great option. The full day included a very scenic train ride, hiking and kayaking and amazing views all around. The Spencer Glacier was spectacular to see and the guide was terrific. They gave clear instructions on what clothing to wear and gear to bring, but also had great gear to share (including very good kayaks) for those who needed it. The boxed lunch wasn't anything to write home about, but it was perfectly fine and as expected.

Reviewed 20 June 2018 via mobile

This was a top notch experience. We were lucky to have Matt as our guide. He was very knowledgeable and passionate. We had a blast exploring the glacier. This trip is a must if you want an unforgettable trip.

1  Thank Jeremy B
See more reviews
Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

This was the second time I had joined AP with a kayak trip. I chose to do one that involves hiking this time and a longer train ride.
What a fantastic experience it turned out to be!
The guides were kind, informative, funny and knowledgeable. I felt safe trusting them with our hike and kayak adventure because they were confident and informative.
We had a sunny and warm day that made it even better.
The sound of glaciers cracking and the hike to the edge was filled with spectacular views.
I was so thrilled to then journey on the train to Grandview. I had never been there before. The landscape and breathtaking areas we road through made this a high light of the trip. Grandview is a quiet and lovely town. It would be the perfect place for a picnic lunch.
I plan to take my parents when they come visit because I liked it so much.
Thank you AP for hosting and guiding me on this wonderful tour that I will never forget.
What a great experience !

1  Thank Jax S