All reviews gated compound adjacent casino costa rica hotel premises functional hotel american style hotel great place to rest free shuttle service del rey room service washer and dryer stayed here for a week different parts central ave heart of downtown san jose stay there again walking distance
Reviewed 8 July 2016

This hotel is located next door to one of the worlds most famous bars known for and specializing in purchasing "female companionship". That being said I was still appalled to see a constant parade of "female companions" and grizzled old men begin the check-in and fee paying process beginning each night around 9:00 p.m.
You might also especially enjoy the breakfast area where you can witness a "love connection" over breakfast watching 60 and 70 year old men and their 20 something year old "companions"or better yet; listen to groups of old codgers try to talk over each other debating who had the prettiest or the most aggressive or most talented "female companion" last evening.
This coupled with a breakfast menu that never changes featuring baked hot dogs, beans and rice, scrambled eggs in a rich egg soup and fruit that should have been thrown out a couple of days before, you have a great start to an exciting day in San Jose.
Do yourself a favor and stay at the Holiday Inn across the park, the Presidente, a couple of block away or basically anywhere unless you are a old man looking to pay for 20 year old companionship. If this is why you are in San Jose, you have come to the right place.
I almost forgot; all 4 of us that had breakfast had moderate gastrointestinal problems on our flights back to the US and that was the only meal where we all ate the same menu items...

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
3  Thank Tropicaldrifter411
Reviewed 6 July 2016

I am a firm believer in honesty, when writing a review on Trip Adviser, and because I believe this to be important I expect the same from others. What I have to say about this hotel is probably not very complimentary but the facts are the facts.

First of all, should you plan on traveling with children, do not go here. Adult situations are common and take place in a very obvious manner. This is VERY inappropriate for children to see.

Secondly, management fails when it comes to customer assistance.. IF you need WIFI in this hotel, I can tell you that will not happen even if the manager states that he just called the "tech guy" and it will be fixed.

With these points being made I will tell you a little about this hotel otherwise. It appears to be "clean" and breakfast is included. The food was okay. The restaurant staff, as well as the cleaning staff were nice and helpful.

There is a casino located in the parking lot of this hotel should you be seeking a meal. The food is average but not everything on the menu is available. There are not too many restaurants in this area that are safe to walk to at night so options are very limited.

I honestly have to say that had I been more familiar with San Jose, I would never have stayed at this hotel but at least I know now and I hope this will be helpful to others who are traveling, with good intentions, to San Jose.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled on business
2  Thank Wanda D
Reviewed 2 July 2016 via mobile

If you are in need of a fire alarm, and there are none - well this situation would be comparable to customer service at this hotel.
First of all, lets talk about WIFI, considering I was there on business and WIFI is necessary. There was none at all in the room. I had seen online reviews with this complaint but management responded publicly stating this issue had been fixed. To be fair, perhaps it broke again...but doubtful.
Even downstairs on computers, work was impossible. I asked the manager who seemed to have a very high speed happening in his office. He said he was talking with "the computer tech" and it should be resolved. Was it? No.
This hotel has some nice staff - one star for that and a decent breakfast that is included 1 star for that and that, my friends , is about it.
I have 2 pieces of advice. No. 1. If you are traveling with children do not come here as there is a lot of activity going on that children do not need to see. No. 2. If you need to be online, regardless of what you have been led to believe, do not come here.
This hotel is, in some way, associated with a casino that is just in front of the hotel. There is food to be found there but not too good, especially for the price. Supplies seemed to be low on basics, such as a hamburger for which they did not have "the insert" meaning the meat. Also, there is not much close by that would be considered a safe walk at night.
I would say just say no sleeping in at the Sleep Inn...

Stayed: April 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank Yan D
Reviewed 2 July 2016

Ok so...my mom and I had an appointment that was not too far from downtown and we were looking for a central place to stay for a few days. We usually stay at the Marriott branded hotels and are very familiar with Alajuela but this was our first time in San Jose so we chose an American branded hotel that appeared to be central. A few highlights - you can walk to many many different places, the location is good. We were advised by locals not to walk out past 8:00 at night and not to carry a lot of money or valuables but this should really be standard anywhere. We enjoyed the area as much as possible and had dinner at the Casino next to the hotel - it was pretty good. Now.... the problems.

Maybe I overlooked something or perhaps it is the area - as a part time CR resident, I know many men frequent this country for....working women. BUT. I did not imagine I was booking a stay at a hotel where men just paraded woman after woman through the doors. My mom and I actually began counting how many women one man brought through in a matter of hours.

Also - we had read on trip advisor about internet problems. We then read where a manager said these issues had been fixed. We work online and depend on reliable internet. After the internet did not work upstairs, we decided to utilize the office area in the lobby. The internet did not work, pages would spin and spin taking 5-10 minutes to load. I had a very important conference call that I missed due to Skype not loading. We found a manager who said that he was going to talk to a tech to see what could be done but nothing was ever fixed. We just finally had to give up on working and call it an early weekend. I understand that we all have to have realistic expectations about internet in other countries but having traveled extensively here, I know what to expect and I definitely know what to expect from American branded hotels.

Other than friendly staff in the restaurant, I would say this Sleep Inn has failed at living up to a decent brand name and unless you want to be offline or looking for the working women (and a tolerant front desk), I would not ever recommend this place.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled on business
2  Thank AFreeSpirit19
Reviewed 29 June 2016

I've stayed at the Sleep Inn Hotel many times. I am a choice hotels rewards member so I've been pretty faithful to the brand. I used to stay here using points because it took the minimum to stay at this location. If you are booking during a stay twice get a free promo, it is best to use the choice hotel website. However, AAA or other Significant Corp Discounts will not apply to the hotel. Those discounts do work on the other Quality Inn Hotel in town. If you aren't using the stay 2 nights prom, to get the best rate use a third party travel site like orbitz which will usually have a cheaper rate and then apply one of the promo codes. This place is pretty clean and they have great breakfasts. The breakfast are best saturday and sunday because they have left overs from dinner from the casino the night prior. Their is a tour counter where you can book tours. The guy at the counter gets there at 6AM. I think he leaves at 4. They have computers to use for internet at the lobby. it has a printer but the connection is slow. Same with wifi. The rooms do have hard line internet that you can purchase with a surcharge. The wifi in the room is still free. The hotel is located in downtown and not the safest neighborhood. You are safe in the hotel. However, at night, there are a lot of prostitutes in this area. You are very close to the Jade musem and a lot of store and shops. The ATM in the casino does not charge an ATM fee and you usually get better rates than at the counter. Be aware that they do practice some unscrupulous currency conversion when charging you for the room. You may get a price from choice hotels in dollars. However, they convert the reservation to colones with a poor exchange rate. When you check out, they convert the colones back to dollar with another poor exchange rate to charge your credit card instead of honoring the original choice hotel reservation costs. The extent of this practice will cost you between a 3-4% increase in cost.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo