“Nice Stay at the Sleep In”

Sleep Inn Hotel Paseo Las Damas
Ranked #22 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 3 August 2016

My family and I stayed here two times. Two nights when we arrived and three nights before we left back to the states. I am pretty picking and a mother of two teen sons. My 80 year old mother in law has stayed here several times and recommended it. I was pleasantly surprised. I had read some of the reviews and did see or experience anything bad. On a trip 3 years ago we had stayed at the Holiday Inn and I like the Sleep Inn better. It is newer and cleaner than the Holiday Inn.

The staff were friendly and helpful. In the morning there is a complimentary breakfast mini buffet. I enjoyed it very much and enjoyed the fresh fruit. Alejandro (I think that was his name), was very attentive and friendly. He worked hard to make sure everyone was taken care of. I do not speak much Spanish but I was able to communicate with him. He was always smiley and friendly. That helps when you are away from home.

There is a washer and dryer for doing laundry. When we were there it takes US quarters. 4 quarters to wash and 4 quarters to dry. I had to 2 cycles of the dryer. but I was very happy to be able to wash my teenage son's clothes :)

There is also a little gift shop with some toiletries, some drinks, some candy, and some souvenirs. I did take advantage of this and did a little shopping.

My husband speaks Spanish so he dealt with the front desk for check in and check out. But when I had to get tokens/quarters for the washer I was able to communicate with them. they always said hello and goodbye.

I recommend this hotel for anyone whether a family, couple, business trip or if you need a place to stay. If would be perfect if it had a swimming pool. I think they did have a gym but I was too busy out and about to see it. One minor thing that happened was the keys had to be reprogrammed twice will we were there.

Room Tip: Ask for 2nd floor if you plan on doing laundry.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family

Reviewed 8 July 2016

This hotel is located next door to one of the worlds most famous bars known for and specializing in purchasing "female companionship". That being said I was still appalled to see a constant parade of "female companions" and grizzled old men begin the check-in and fee paying process beginning each night around 9:00 p.m.
You might also especially enjoy the breakfast area where you can witness a "love connection" over breakfast watching 60 and 70 year old men and their 20 something year old "companions"or better yet; listen to groups of old codgers try to talk over each other debating who had the prettiest or the most aggressive or most talented "female companion" last evening.
This coupled with a breakfast menu that never changes featuring baked hot dogs, beans and rice, scrambled eggs in a rich egg soup and fruit that should have been thrown out a couple of days before, you have a great start to an exciting day in San Jose.
Do yourself a favor and stay at the Holiday Inn across the park, the Presidente, a couple of block away or basically anywhere unless you are a old man looking to pay for 20 year old companionship. If this is why you are in San Jose, you have come to the right place.
I almost forgot; all 4 of us that had breakfast had moderate gastrointestinal problems on our flights back to the US and that was the only meal where we all ate the same menu items...

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tropicaldrifter411
Reviewed 6 July 2016

I am a firm believer in honesty, when writing a review on Trip Adviser, and because I believe this to be important I expect the same from others. What I have to say about this hotel is probably not very complimentary but the facts are the facts.

First of all, should you plan on traveling with children, do not go here. Adult situations are common and take place in a very obvious manner. This is VERY inappropriate for children to see.

Secondly, management fails when it comes to customer assistance.. IF you need WIFI in this hotel, I can tell you that will not happen even if the manager states that he just called the "tech guy" and it will be fixed.

With these points being made I will tell you a little about this hotel otherwise. It appears to be "clean" and breakfast is included. The food was okay. The restaurant staff, as well as the cleaning staff were nice and helpful.

There is a casino located in the parking lot of this hotel should you be seeking a meal. The food is average but not everything on the menu is available. There are not too many restaurants in this area that are safe to walk to at night so options are very limited.

I honestly have to say that had I been more familiar with San Jose, I would never have stayed at this hotel but at least I know now and I hope this will be helpful to others who are traveling, with good intentions, to San Jose.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank Wanda D
Reviewed 2 July 2016 via mobile

If you are in need of a fire alarm, and there are none - well this situation would be comparable to customer service at this hotel.
First of all, lets talk about WIFI, considering I was there on business and WIFI is necessary. There was none at all in the room. I had seen online reviews with this complaint but management responded publicly stating this issue had been fixed. To be fair, perhaps it broke again...but doubtful.
Even downstairs on computers, work was impossible. I asked the manager who seemed to have a very high speed happening in his office. He said he was talking with "the computer tech" and it should be resolved. Was it? No.
This hotel has some nice staff - one star for that and a decent breakfast that is included 1 star for that and that, my friends , is about it.
I have 2 pieces of advice. No. 1. If you are traveling with children do not come here as there is a lot of activity going on that children do not need to see. No. 2. If you need to be online, regardless of what you have been led to believe, do not come here.
This hotel is, in some way, associated with a casino that is just in front of the hotel. There is food to be found there but not too good, especially for the price. Supplies seemed to be low on basics, such as a hamburger for which they did not have "the insert" meaning the meat. Also, there is not much close by that would be considered a safe walk at night.
I would say just say no sleeping in at the Sleep Inn...

Stayed: April 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank Yan D
Reviewed 2 July 2016

Ok so...my mom and I had an appointment that was not too far from downtown and we were looking for a central place to stay for a few days. We usually stay at the Marriott branded hotels and are very familiar with Alajuela but this was our first time in San Jose so we chose an American branded hotel that appeared to be central. A few highlights - you can walk to many many different places, the location is good. We were advised by locals not to walk out past 8:00 at night and not to carry a lot of money or valuables but this should really be standard anywhere. We enjoyed the area as much as possible and had dinner at the Casino next to the hotel - it was pretty good. Now.... the problems.

Maybe I overlooked something or perhaps it is the area - as a part time CR resident, I know many men frequent this country for....working women. BUT. I did not imagine I was booking a stay at a hotel where men just paraded woman after woman through the doors. My mom and I actually began counting how many women one man brought through in a matter of hours.

Also - we had read on trip advisor about internet problems. We then read where a manager said these issues had been fixed. We work online and depend on reliable internet. After the internet did not work upstairs, we decided to utilize the office area in the lobby. The internet did not work, pages would spin and spin taking 5-10 minutes to load. I had a very important conference call that I missed due to Skype not loading. We found a manager who said that he was going to talk to a tech to see what could be done but nothing was ever fixed. We just finally had to give up on working and call it an early weekend. I understand that we all have to have realistic expectations about internet in other countries but having traveled extensively here, I know what to expect and I definitely know what to expect from American branded hotels.

Other than friendly staff in the restaurant, I would say this Sleep Inn has failed at living up to a decent brand name and unless you want to be offline or looking for the working women (and a tolerant front desk), I would not ever recommend this place.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled on business